1.9D DW8 Crankshaft oil seal leaking near the flywheel. Any cheapish options?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kenbw2
(Donor 2017)

1.9D DW8 Crankshaft oil seal leaking near the flywheel. Any cheapish options?

Post by kenbw2 »

I've had a persistent oil leak from my 1999 DW8 Dispatch. Decided to finally have a garage have a look, see what they could find and he's diagnosed it as a crankshaft oil seal leak.

He's talking about it being a massive job (7 hours' labour) so not really worth doing. Says I can keep topping it up, maybe replace it when the clutch needs replacing.

I accept it's not the end of the van, but it'd be nice to not be leaving a pool of oil every time I park up.

Is there anything I could try - whether it be something I do, or something a garage can do for not silly money?

- I'm happy to give an oil additive a try. Probably a waste of time, but can't hurt, right?
- Mineral oil is a bit thicker, could try that?
- Use a thicker viscosity oil? I'm currently using 5W40 fully synthetic

Diagram here for what it's worth: (Edit: I've highlighted the wrong seal. Mine is near the flywheel, part #7)

Last edited by kenbw2 on 11 Jul 2018, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 1.9D DW8 Crankshaft oil seal leaking near the flywheel. Any cheapish options?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When this went on my C5 X7, it wasn't long after I had just had the Dual Mass Flywheel and Clutch replaced. So not long after that job, the clutch started slipping again - leading to diagnosis of the crankshaft oil seal. Point being that it was not long before my clutch need replacing again as a result of oil contamination and slippage.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: 1.9D DW8 Crankshaft oil seal leaking near the flywheel. Any cheapish options?

Post by xantia_v6 »

Note that I think that you have highlighted the wrong seal in the diagram, should be #7?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, 7 & 8 are the crankshaft bearing seals, but 7 obviously nearer the flywheel / clutch end, with 21 being the rubber seal.
Crankshaft Oil Seal.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kenbw2
(Donor 2017)

Post by kenbw2 »

xantia_v6 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 14:20 Note that I think that you have highlighted the wrong seal in the diagram, should be #7?

Right you are.

The question I guess is whether or not I can do anything to attempt to mitigate, rather than fix the problem.
Oldpug

Post by Oldpug »

Is the oil leak front or rear of the engine ?
Parts item 8 is the crankshaft front oil seal.So oil would leak into the timing cover area,oil contamination of the cambelt is bad news.
Parts item 7 is the crankshaft rear oil seal.So oil would leak into the gearbox bell housing.(gearbox out job) As its behind the flywheel it would have to be a massive leak to find its way into the clutch plate. If it is the rear one leaking you could probably live with it?
kenbw2
(Donor 2017)

Post by kenbw2 »

Oldpug wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 18:03 Is the oil leak front or rear of the engine ?
Parts item 8 is the crankshaft front oil seal.So oil would leak into the timing cover area,oil contamination of the cambelt is bad news.
Parts item 7 is the crankshaft rear oil seal.So oil would leak into the gearbox bell housing.(gearbox out job) As its behind the flywheel it would have to be a massive leak to find its way into the clutch plate. If it is the rear one leaking you could probably live with it?

Yea xantia_v6 pointed out I'd highlighted the wrong one.

It's at the flywheel, so the rear oil seal (front and rear in a transverse engine confuses me!).

I'm okay with living with it, and that's what the garage suggested. It'd just be nice if I could do something to lessen the puddle I leave everywhere.
lexi
(Donor 2020)

Post by lexi »

I would go 15w 40 oil. Get a tray made for overnight parking. You could make a small catch tray to fix in somewhere for on the move and empty it weekly. These are things us old Land Rover owners had to do :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Post by van ordinaire »

Certainly synthetic's not helping.

An additive that softens & expands the seal is a sort of het you home for a while fix BUT ultimately it will make matters worse. If you can spin it out 'til the clutch needs doing, fine - but there's a risk that might come sooner than you might otherwise be expecting
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o