406 Major problems.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

magnum

406 Major problems.

Post by magnum »

Lift pump failed on my 1999 406 HDI. Checked fuse etc. Now immobiliser on as well. Can't see how checking fuse would cause this. Also black ring holding pump seems to be siezed fast and is immovable.
Also vehicle left for a couple of weeks with handbrake OFF but now handbrake is engaged despite still being off. Warning light on dash confirms this.
citronut

Post by citronut »

hi magnum and welcome

were abouts are you as a few of us on here own LEXA's and it migh be worth haveing your car pluged into one,

i cant see how your hand brake can stick on if it was left in the off position whilst parked up

regards malcolm
magnum

Post by magnum »

citronut wrote:hi magnum and welcome

were abouts are you as a few of us on here own LEXA's and it migh be worth haveing your car pluged into one,

i cant see how your hand brake can stick on if it was left in the off position whilst parked up

regards malcolm

Hi Malcolm
Location is Holmfirth, Yorks. Just noticed that the break pedal is totally solid as well.
spider

Post by spider »

Your pedal would be solid (or almost solid) due to no vacuum from the servo as its been stood a while. When the engine is running this will return to normal.

Is the handbrake actually engaged though, or more likely the switch is stuck causing the light to be on (this bulb is 'shared' with the low fluid level too, check brake fluid level is OK)

Need to sort immobiliser out first ideally to confirm brake operation etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
magnum

Post by magnum »

spider wrote:Your pedal would be solid (or almost solid) due to no vacuum from the servo as its been stood a while. When the engine is running this will return to normal.

Is the handbrake actually engaged though, or more likely the switch is stuck causing the light to be on (this bulb is 'shared' with the low fluid level too, check brake fluid level is OK)

Need to sort immobiliser out first ideally to confirm brake operation etc.

Yeah, handbrake seems to be engaged, can't push vehicle at all. Break fluid is at max.
spider

Post by spider »

Rear disc or drum brakes ? (most HDi's do have rear disc)

I'd assume they are just stuck and tapping them with a rubber mallet may free them, however there's a risk of the shoes (rear disc models have inboard shoes and they are a pain to replace as the springs are difficult to get back on due to their strength) becoming detached from the linings.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG