Xantia Competition

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit

Xantia Competition

Post by andmcit »

Thought I'd share this with you all as I'm sure we could all do with a Xantia
with 700bhp that can do 0.60 in 2.24 seconds!! I would love it - check this out:

XANTIA TURBO 4x4 RALLYCROSS

In 1993 Jean Luc Pailler and Citroen developed a Xantia turbo 4x4 to replace his successful BX turbo 4x4 which he had driven in the European and French RallyCross championships. This car had evolved through the years and will be driven by Jean Luc until at least the year 2000. He won the European championship with the Xantia in 1993 and became French champion in 1993, 1994 and 1995 and has subsequently won even more races.

At the start, while still driving a BX, a white Xantia was used having been resprayed completely blood-red. The engine the team fitted was the superb BX 1905cc 16Valve turbo delivering a staggering 550hp. The power was upped to 650hp in 1997 and nearly 700hp in 1999. By that time, the cubic capacity had been increased to 1998cc. In the 1999 season the car received a new paint-job - yellow and blue.

Not only the engine changed through the years, also the car's appearance. The body became wider and wider and the air/cooling inlets larger and larger. The hydropneumatic suspension parts are specially made for Jean Luc in a special Citroen factory in Asnieres.

A major change toke place in 1995. The car had changed its appearance but lost 50kg in total weight. This was a big achievement because the engine was enlarged to 1998cc which was heavier then the older 1905cc version. The suspension was changed too.. and also the complete hydropneumatic system. They removed the high-pressure pump, accumulator and reservoir system to lower the weight.

Just before the start of the race an external pump is connected to the hydro-system of the car (a small handy device on wheels). Then the required height of the car is set (front and back independantly) and the system is closed. All the spheres have a special extra connection on top which can be used to regulate the gas-pressure. For the power steering a small high-pressure pump is fitted.

In 1999 in addition to Jean Luc Pailler another Frenchman Gilles Stievenart also is also driving a XANTIA turbo 4x4. During the European Championship rallycross race 1999 in Faleyras, France he finished in 8th position (startnumber 17) while Jean Luc Pailler ended as winner overall (startnumber 8).
All above info from:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/css/xantia/xantiacomp.html

and more info here:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... 26hs%3DHhM

I have a glowing article in Car magazine and will post the scanned pages
when I get near my scanner again!

Andrew
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Wow thats quite something, dont remember seeing a Xantia rallycross car before.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
deian

Post by deian »

Wow, 700bhp from a 2.0i And still has the hydropneumatic suspension, cool. It wouldn't be a xantia without the original suspension (even though they have taken parts off). And 4x4. How cool!