NG4 oh no it's not well.

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Hristo Ivanov

Re: NG4 oh no it's not well.

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

Yes it was. I thought the unit had buggs or something corrupted.
Now I understand the donor car was probably different trim level so the NG4 was suited for that car.
Would you please tell me which menus to look for when configuring.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll need to run a full diagnostic and select the NG4 ECU afterwards from the list detected and check the manual configuration from there - but the settings are linked to the BSI, so may be in more than one place.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

Thank you very much. Not sure if I understood the part about settings being linked to the BSI but will give it a try.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I meant some settings can be updated in several places - either the NG4 ECU or the BSI and when you connected up the NG4 to your vehicle, it may have altered some of the settings in the BSI to those stored in the NG4.

This can be difficult if you don't understand the configuration options and what they mean in PSA terms (which are not always what you think they are) and this can lead to mis-configuration resulting in incorrect behaviour of the vehicle / dashboard lighting up like a Christmas Tree / other malfunctions, so be very careful.

You have some incorrect options for possible the sound system, the parking assistance and other settings that are too long to go into in a post.

Best option is if you want some help:

1) Pop your VIN up here so I can see exactly what you have from factory. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

2) Go into the BSI manual configuration pages and take screenshots of each page clearly for me (and please ensure Diagbox is in English as I don't have the time to translate everything - especially as the translation of technical terms is poor at best).

I will then take a look to check if there are any obvious programming errors and let you know.

Marc
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

I did not realise how complex this thing is until now.
My VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Bad part is I do not have a diagnose tool at my disposal. Also the used NG4 is still at the seller's as I refused to buy it. We agreed to look for a solution before I buy it.
By the way there is something else that bothers me. All 3 people that I have seen using Lexia have unlicensed, or should I say, unpaid version of it. I even heard that the official Citroen dealer in my small town uses such Lexia (offline). So I wonder if using paid version of the software would make any difference.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Basically all the versions of the software (Diagbox / Lexia) that are not downloaded from the dealer's website have been 'modified' to work for DIYers. The software is not available for general public use, as it officially requires a licence to use and activation.

So I will leave this for now as you have not bought it yet, but yes, these are not simple radios, they are integrated into the vehicle's systems, so are not transferable to another vehicle unless the donor unit is from a the exact same vehicle type, with the same Audio options and equipment, i.e. correct parking assistance options, whether an equaliser amplifier is fitted, whether the vehicle has the services module fitted, etc. etc.

Marc
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

I am very very grateful for all this information. Next weekend i will travel again to the seller (2 hours drive) and buy the unit. Now I am not afraid that it is broken.
Thanks a lot!
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

"either the NG4 ECU or the BSI and when you connected up the NG4 to your vehicle, it may have altered some of the settings in the BSI to those stored in the NG4."
I wonder if this is what happened to mine with the constant in and outs I was doing at the time, At one stage the only thing I didn't do was put me left leg in and left leg out..... bit I did get close to shaking it all about!

My front parking bars no longer show up, no idea why, still bleeps and gives you distance bleeps but no bars..... rears work as should. The young lad that finally sorted it out and got the EML off said it was a config file in the NG4 at factory level, I thought sounds right, but reading your little bit above makes me think again it possible altered something, especially as he had to change a BSI entry to NG4 present I think it should of read but didn't so it kept putting on an EML, once that setting was changed EML never came back on and radio was really loud were as before you would have volume on something like 16 to hear it now is around 4/5 and it quite loud.

I was reading what Hristo was saying about his parking sensors, mine still bleeped even when NG4 was dead in the car just didn't show any bars as the screen didn't work, but you still had audible bleeps for distance.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

ChrisRobin, does EML stand for "engine management light" or the so called "check light"? At least that has not happened to me.
When trying to set your new NG4 unit have you tried official Citroen dealership or just a friend with Lexia?
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Hi Hristo, mine is a Pug 308cc and yes EML =engine management light. I took my NG4 in and out quite a few times sometime in quite rapid succession trying to identify the problem, when I got it finally to work after fitting the BMW DVD drive, the car kept putting on the EML light yet not lack of power it was odd I can't remeber the exact wording for the fault but was something to do the BSi not recognising something, I also thought the sound was rather muted you know low you had to wind it up over 16 to hear it and no front parking sensor distance bars.
I gave up and booked it into main dealer, they were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Said they had fixed it but hadn't was ok from the dealership but next morning ping it was back, took it to my mate a really good tech hopefully he could use his forum to find some kind of pointer as to why, a young las arrived whilst I was there from the local car club, he knew straight away, and got his laptop out, stated up his diagbox software and scanned it, then went into the BSi somewhere, sorry I have no idea which section he was in but went directly to a line which read something like NG4 recognised, it was a yes/no question, it had toggled to No, he switched it to Yes and saved it, turned ignition off and on again and WOW the sound was incredible it is so loud now @ 16 you can't really sit in the car with it as it is uncomfortably loud and no EML, Mmmm done this before, "fixed" he announced. but said the parking fault was a config issue inside the start-up lines probably corrupted at some stage when it 1st went down which was actually at start up (I never told him that), sounded believable, EML has never come back on.
I read what GiveMeaBreak said to you about BSI setting being altered did make me think, if it can change settings then the front parks might also some were have toggle to no, it makes more sense than a radio start-up config issue to be honest, to be fair the wife and I are just glad it is working again, it is loud and clear and in-car phone connection is really clear compared to my Megane 3 even with the roof off, it is just a shame about the Nav system being awkward to use or maybe that is just me as my car has incar TomTom which is easy for me, the 308cc (wife's car) I find rather difficult to get through as it only does a 5 digit lookup on postcodes for us in the UK the last 2 of the 7 digit post code narrows you right down to in most cases to 100yards of destination, the 5 didit gets you to the road most times which could be a mile long, I do believe it does coordinates as well.
I am not really allowed to drive the wife toy (she get huffy) unless it is broken or MOT time, so NAV is no worry for me, and NEVER move the interior mirror it drives her mad.
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

I see. Well that is a bummer - I mean the official dealership thing. I hoped that they would use the most recently updated Lexia so when plugged, it should recognize your car and fix things automatically. Or at least I heard it goes like this. If this is the case in a well developed country like yours... I do not want to even visit local Citroen's in my country. As I think about it, why I bother - my country is not even covered by the NG4 navigation maps.
Anyway GimeMeABreak gave me big hopes and after the weather gets better I will try my luck with the substitute device.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

My "local" dealership is a bit of a strange thing to be fair, it use to be in a very large town called Llandudno as was rather large, for what ever reason it moved to a very small, very scruffy garage, 3 cars in the show room one a 2nd hand vehicle, which I thought on arrival oh!

Now I work for a very large modern Dealership VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi and Volkswagen Vans the workshop is pristine as is the dealership it is actually the only all brand dealership in the UK/Europe so far but is going to rolled out across UK/Europe due to EV's once they have finished analysing us, they are looking at rolling this kind of multi dealership out by 2030/40 as the think single dealership will just sink once ICE vehicles start disappearing, so this Peugeot dealership was quite a shock, 2 old blokes on the front desk, scruffy looking no service advisor, they booked me and told me they would give me a call.

When they did, I got a lift to go pick it up, I paid them and they said it's in the workshop, so I had to go around onto the workshop to collect it, well you should if seen it, it reminded me of a back street garage, broken cars every where, old car parts left on the floor, filthy dirty workshop, broken ramps and I don't think these two old blokes had much idea or interest to be honest, I even had to reverse my own car out of their workshop, I then drove it back in and moaned about the front parks, so they plugged it back in scrolled through some screens and said, don't know and that was it, watching them on the laptop I got the distinct impression they didn't really know what they were looking for, as I see our techs on their VAS laptops and "look" comfortable if you know what I mean, these two blokes certainly did not look comfortable using it.

Next dealership is over 30 mins away and works the same hours we do, so that 2 hours out of work to drop it off and collect, my manager is not going to have that. I don't know about Bulgaria but I live in North Wales and we have had a 307cc for 7 years, and now a 308cc for 2 years now, I didn't want my wife to get the 308 as around it here is it impossible to find a Peugeot trained tech to work on it when it needs it the 307 was a nightmare in the end, I think it had been mapped and it was just popping EML's constantly, could I find anyone to work on it with Diagbox, not a chance, my Renault tech struggled through it all, my VW tech do little bits on it but the deeper stuff they leave, I can get Merc, BMW, Mini, Land Rover, Fiat even Mitsu trained techs Renault obviously all with ease, but Peugeot........ Not a chance, they are nowhere to be found, plus the dealership closing down you would of thought they would be looking for cash work but nope, no sign I think there were about 8 techs in Llandudno now down to two old blokes, very strange.
You can put BMW maps into it, but you lose the 3d map not a problem, as it is a bit of an annoying map that one, have a word with GiveMeABreak he is really helpful got me them they are more upto date than PSA, they might cover Bulgaria better for you.
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

Sounds like a lot of bad luck you had. So we are not so different. French cars are not the favourite among mechanics in here. I still don't understand what they like about german cars so much.
Good thing about this is that french cars are cheaper here and I like my C5 very much. For the money I paid I could not get anything better. Except the NG4 issue nothing else broke for nearly 3 years so far.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Same for us, German cars seem to hold their price really well, 2 year back we bought the 308cc 2012 2.0Hdi with about 44,000 miles on it for £7,000. if you wanted a German car for £7K you would up toward if not over the 100,000miles, she was interested for a while in that horrible VW beetle convertible but that for £7k there were star ship miles on them, phew....
My Daughter bought a Polo 2007 1.2 against my wishes with over 150,000 miles on it, paid £1.500 for it and it quite happily fell apart in the first 6 months she owned it (I did say it would).
So they do hold there price, wonder if the new ones will as they are no were near as well built now, we have a customer with an old Audi 100, 3 time around the clock on it when it was last in looks pretty good for it's age, but engine wise perfect and still on the same engine/gearbox from new, he won it, brand new in a game show way back in 1978. His wife has an Audi A1 (2023 car) and he proudly tells us (constantly) his 100 comes to us less than the wife's new A1, to be fair he is right.
Hristo Ivanov

Post by Hristo Ivanov »

Good news guys!
I bought the used NG4 and it works as it should. The seller changed just one setting in the diagnostic tool - switched "amplifier" to non presesnt and the sound is normal now, the parking sensor's beeping returned too.
Thanks for your cooperation so far.