1.6HDi engine designations

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

1.6HDi engine designations

Post by Old-Guy »

I eventually unravelled the puzzle posed by Citroen quietly replacing the 1.6HDi 16V engine with an 8-valve derivative for the 2011 model year, glossing over the new SOHC cylinder-head and turbo-charger arrangement and just announcing that it was Euro 5 compliant and even cleaner though for 2011, the engine was referred to simply as 1.6HDi.

The 16V is the DV6 TED4 producing 110PS
The 8V is the DV6 C 111PS

Emissions figures depend on the vehicle and gearbox, but the 8-valver is slightly cleaner and Euro5 compliant. There's a lot on misinformation on the web - to such an extent that many websites ignore the introduction of the DV6 C and state that, for example, the engines in the C4 (Grand) Picasso was unchanged from 2006-13.

For anyone interested, PSA produced a nice illustrated pdf of the DV6C engine. This claims one of the benefits of the new design as "Compacity and light weight" - interesting that with lots of native English-speakers living in France, Citroen prefer to use French natives who have learnt their 'English' at secondary school as translators.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: 1.6HDi engine designations

Post by demag »

I hope for their sake it is more reliable than the older engine. And if it is how did they do it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Old-Guy wrote: - interesting that with lots of native English-speakers living in France, Citroen prefer to use French natives who have learnt their 'English' at secondary school as translators.
Citroen's translations have been outsourced to Elbonia*, with quality control supplied by monoglot aliens. I have just been through their online 'how to download and install map update' for the Picasso (dealer didn't tell me its free for 5 years on cars from late 2015, just discovered whoopee!). Most of it is in English-like language, there are bits still in French, and curiously a whole section in Dutch.

*Dilbert fans will understand.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

demag wrote:I hope for their sake it is more reliable than the older engine. And if it is how did they do it?
It is reckoned to be. How they did it was:
  • 1. Change/revert to an 8-valve (SOHC) configuration, which provided more space for the injectors and thus allowed better sealing;
    2. Completely redesign the turbo-charger installation;
    3. Install the upgraded oil-pump (part of the warranty 'fix' for DV6 TED4 engines that suffered turbo failure).
    [/list
    The development engineers also managed to squeeze another 1PS and 20Nm out of the engine while at the same time, for the Grand C4 Picasso, reducing the CO2 figure from 140gm/km to 139 but leaving the official overall fuel consumption unchanged, yet the 0-60 time went up from 12.7s to 13.1. Do these apparently contradictory figures are the result of replacing the 5-speed manual 'box with a 6-speeder (and tinkering with the final drive ratio?) or just demonstrate that the 'official' figures are totally artificial and don't even permit useful comparisons between vehicles?
    Richard_C wrote:
    Old-Guy wrote: - interesting that with lots of native English-speakers living in France, Citroen prefer to use French natives who have learnt their 'English' at secondary school as translators.
    Citroen's translations have been outsourced to Elbonia*, with quality control supplied by monoglot aliens. I have just been through their online 'how to download and install map update' for the Picasso (dealer didn't tell me its free for 5 years on cars from late 2015, just discovered whoopee!). Most of it is in English-like language, there are bits still in French, and curiously a whole section in Dutch.

*Dilbert fans will understand.
    Plus ca change!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom