c3 1.4 hdi poor response at low revs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mlocky657
My Cars: Citroen c3 1.4 hdi exclusive 146000

c3 1.4 hdi poor response at low revs

Post by mlocky657 »

hi all ive read a few posts but its not really be the right response so i hope its ok to post this if not and ive missed a similar post please delete. anyway ill get to the point ive bought a 2nd hand c3 1.4 hdi 2003 exclusive model and there is no response in low revs at all. Its a crawl up to about 2000 revs in 1st then it seems to kick in and then as soon as i go into 2nd it drops out, then again when revs get to approx 3000 it kicks in again and off i go the same through all gears. there is no management light on but it has done 146.000 and the spanner is on and it says -77000 so i guess its not been serviced at all as it should be. This is all the info i can give at moment on this issue if you require anything else im sure i will find it for you any help on this that anyone can give me i appriciate thanks.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: c3 1.4 hdi poor response at low revs

Post by myglaren »

That is fairly indicative of a failing MAF sensor.
Try spraying it with some carb cleaner don't touch the fine wires with anything other than the spray and don't be tempted to spray with the engine running, it won't like it!

Just give the wires a good soaking, leave it ten minutes or so and do it again, repeat a few times then try it.
Cheaper than a new MAF and worked very well for me about six months ago.
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

I was told to pull the MAF plug apart and the drive it to see if A got worse B improved it or C stayed the same so i did this and it stayed the same still poor response does this info help on you any further to what you have just told me to do? thanks for your help.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Won't be the maf on one of these , most common issue is the turbo solenoid valve, well worth changing it .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

Lighty wrote:Won't be the maf on one of these , most common issue is the turbo solenoid valve, well worth changing it .

anyway of testing it first but if that had failed would the EM light be on? ive been told told to get a egr blocking plate fit it to see if the egr is failling is this a wise move? thanks for your help
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

ive been thinking about what i was told to do about pulling the plug apart on the MAF and if the Maf was failing then there would be no difference when i pull it apart will there? its just the person who told me to do this said if nothig happens when pulling it apart means there is nothing wrong with the MAF!!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

mlocky657 wrote:
Lighty wrote:Won't be the maf on one of these , most common issue is the turbo solenoid valve, well worth changing it .

anyway of testing it first but if that had failed would the EM light be on? ive been told told to get a egr blocking plate fit it to see if the egr is failling is this a wise move? thanks for your help
Woulsnt necessarily put the engine light on. The egr is not that common to fail either, it is vacuum operated on the 1.4 diesel.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Need to get it on a Lexia.... list of owners on this thread that might be able to help: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178
Richard W
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

Lighty wrote:
mlocky657 wrote:

Woulsnt necessarily put the engine light on. The egr is not that common to fail either, it is vacuum operated on the 1.4 diesel.

thanks for help trying to get someone local to me now with lexia to get to root of problem dont want to keep changing things went i dont need to but thanks for input
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

RichardW wrote:Need to get it on a Lexia.... list of owners on this thread that might be able to help: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178
thanks for help ive had a look through the list you gave me and ive also put a post up for help with finding someone close to me with lexia :wink:
RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

Post by RustyUK »

Hello chaps,

mlocky657 is local to me and reached out for the lexia, so I popped round last night to check out the C3. Lots of fault codes logged, but I won't go into those just yet - clearing them and going for a short drive didn't bring any back.

What does seem apparent is the lack of turbo boost. More than 1200Mb difference between requested and measured boost (this was one of the codes logged), which tallies with my experience last year of my C5 X7's turbo stuck in low boost position.

mlocky's VNT actuator does move (albeit a bit stiffly) with the vacuum pump on it and does hold vacuum so no splits in the diaphragm. However, I can measure no vacuum to the actuator with the engine running and with the engine off, can't apply any vacuum whatsoever.

So I suspect a split in the pipe from the electrovalve (or the electrovalve itself), but by that time it was getting dark and while the turbo is right at the front (hurrah!) - the valve and other end of the vacuum pipe is buried somewhere deep behind out of sight (boo!)

Anyway this raises a question - I'm assuming the circuit should hold vacuum with the engine off? I would imagine so, but without a document to tell me, I don't like making assumptions! Brakes work fine so vacuum pump working and I expect there's a vacuum safety device thing keeping the vacuum on the brake side strong.

I'm also unclear which position of the VNT actuator is which - fully extended (no vacuum) low boost or high boost? On my MK1 C5 a loss of vacuum caused over boost, I presume some turbos are the other way around and apply vacuum to increase boost?

There were some other worry-points, evidence of hardened carbon around the injectors and top cover so possibly been suffering injector blow-by, also curiously pooling oil around the injector seats. Rocker cover gasket maybe, I can't remember how it's arranged now or think where else oil might come from there.
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

RustyUK wrote:Hello chaps,

mlocky657 is local to me and reached out for the lexia, so I popped round last night to check out the C3. Lots of fault codes logged, but I won't go into those just yet - clearing them and going for a short drive didn't bring any back.

What does seem apparent is the lack of turbo boost. More than 1200Mb difference between requested and measured boost (this was one of the codes logged), which tallies with my experience last year of my C5 X7's turbo stuck in low boost position.

mlocky's VNT actuator does move (albeit a bit stiffly) with the vacuum pump on it and does hold vacuum so no splits in the diaphragm. However, I can measure no vacuum to the actuator with the engine running and with the engine off, can't apply any vacuum whatsoever.

So I suspect a split in the pipe from the electrovalve (or the electrovalve itself), but by that time it was getting dark and while the turbo is right at the front (hurrah!) - the valve and other end of the vacuum pipe is buried somewhere deep behind out of sight (boo!)

Anyway this raises a question - I'm assuming the circuit should hold vacuum with the engine off? I would imagine so, but without a document to tell me, I don't like making assumptions! Brakes work fine so vacuum pump working and I expect there's a vacuum safety device thing keeping the vacuum on the brake side strong.

I'm also unclear which position of the VNT actuator is which - fully extended (no vacuum) low boost or high boost? On my MK1 C5 a loss of vacuum caused over boost, I presume some turbos are the other way around and apply vacuum to increase boost?

There were some other worry-points, evidence of hardened carbon around the injectors and top cover so possibly been suffering injector blow-by, also curiously pooling oil around the injector seats. Rocker cover gasket maybe, I can't remember how it's arranged now or think where else oil might come from there.

Anyone who may have info on the above would be greatly appreciated
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

UPDATE::: Today i put the car on the ramps to check all air flow pipes around the engine and at the back of the engine there is a box approx 20cm long and about an inch in width at the bottom of this box there is or there was meant to be a air flow pipe coming out of it. It was this pipe which was not connected so after finding the pipe i reconnected it and test drove and all the power was back problem solved. if it wasn't for the help i received from this forum but most of all RustyUK (Dan) for coming to my aid with the LEXIA this fix would not of been possible. So again thank you VERY much.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Great news. Have fun, now you have full power back.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mlocky657

Post by mlocky657 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Great news. Have fun, now you have full power back.
sure will!! next thing cambelt kit change. :roll: