Citroen Zx 1996 Model - Does An Obd Work With It?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TonyW1967

Citroen Zx 1996 Model - Does An Obd Work With It?

Post by TonyW1967 »

Hi there, my engine diagnostic warning light has just come on and I'd like to know if a standard OBD unit works on this car, and where I would need to connect it to read the codes?

If anyone has experience of using an OBD, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it....

Many thanks,

Tony
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Citroen Zx 1996 Model - Does An Obd Work With It?

Post by RichardW »

Hi Tony

Welcome!

No, on OBD reader won't work on a ZX - you will need to get access to a Lexia with the correct interface (might be 2-pin in this case?). What engine is it? There are several folk with Lexia (although not all will have the correct interface) see here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where there's a list of owners.
Richard W
TonyW1967

Post by TonyW1967 »

Thanks Richard, its a 1.6 petrol automatic.... although I'm the owner, my in-laws have had it for the past 5 years, and to further complicate things, I'm in Prague and they are down in south Czech.... they just told me that the engine auto-diagnostic warning light comes on a little while after starting a journey, and switches off after a short while (normally 15 minutes later).

I think it is probably sensor-related or perhaps a leak in an air tube somewhere, but I thought it might be an easy path to by an OBD and see what the fault code was. Seems it's not that easy though, because the only item I could find on eBay was this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP2000-lexia- ... 2c720aebd4 and at 60 quid, it's probably a better idea that he takes it to a local independent mechanic.

Having said that, if you have time to look at the ebay item, it would be great if you could let me know whether that is ALL I would need, if not, what else would be needed?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will need a computer running a 32bit O/S (preferably Windows XP, but it will work with Windows 7), as the Lexia system is so old it cannot run directly in a 64bit O/S environment. I run my Lexia on a Toshiba NB250 with 2GB RAM.

While most makes of cars can be read by generic readers, but the French (being French) think they know better. Mind you, the Lexia can do a LOT more than just read error codes.

The fact it may not work well with C5s suggests it may be an earlier version Lexia clone. Find out which version of software it comes with, and if it not higher then DiagBox 5.29, walk away from it. Some Chinese chipsets have been blacklisted, and software later than 5.29 won't accept these chipsets. It is possible to update the firmware of these chipsets, but it will cost to do so.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
TonyW1967

Post by TonyW1967 »

Thanks James, it does sound a bit complicated and expensive, so I think I'll steer clear and let the experts do their thing....
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It isn't that complicated once you understand it. It can (over time) save you money, as normally it can cost around £50 for a Lexia session at a dealership. If you have a cheap/old laptop that has at least 1GB ram and a 32bit O/S it should do. Just make sure the Lexia has a higher version of Diagbox than 5.29.

If you do get a Lexia kit there aren't normally instructions on usage. This can be off putting at first. People worry about 'bricking' ECUs or causing damage to their cars. This is not normally possible (unless you try to update firmware). The best way to learn how to use a Lexia is to use it and look around what it can do (that is how a lot of people learn), as this is kit not normally available to the public, and the technicians at dealerships are trained on the kit.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
TonyW1967

Post by TonyW1967 »

Thanks very much for the info...
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

There is a possibility that on a 96 one you can still read the fault codes by the flash method. Google it to find out. If it does all you need is a piece of wire.
There is a lot of misleading information regarding OBD. All cars with management systems have obd. However standardisation was forced on manufacturers with regard to emissions related faults, by the Americans in 1996 (OBD11) and by the EU (EOBD) in 2001 for petrol and in 2004 for diesels. Many manufacturers limit the amount of information available to generic readers to that required by legislation. In this regard the French are certainly no worse than anyone else. However diagnosing a fault is much more than reading a code and blindly changing a unit. Some garages do it this way costing their customers a small fortune and not getting to the root of the problem. What is different about the French cars is that main dealer diagnostics are available at a price that makes them affordable to the DIY enthusiasts.
As regards cars built before the deadline dates it depends very much on who supplied the management system. For example a generic code reader normally works well on a 2000 on 2.0hdi giving both fault readouts and live data, provided the ECU is supplied by Bosch. If it has a Siemens ECU you get nothing.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

download this PDF. Go to page 85. I think all you need is a piece of wire into the diagnostic socket. Touch the other end off an earth when the instructions say to operate the switch. Unless I am mistaken the engine management light on the dash will blink out the fault codes.
cx.podolsk.ru/xm/.../Haynes_Automotive_ ... _Codes.pdf
TonyW1967

Post by TonyW1967 »

Many thanks BX, that looks like a good way to go... rather than a piece of wire though, would you know where I might be able to procure an 'on/off accessory switch'? I presume that it only needs one male insert prong for the 2nd terminal? I checked eBay and the generic switches shown, all have 2 connectors, and probably not the right distance between connector A and B to fit into the 2-pin SD Connector. I couldn't find anything particular to Citroen on Google neither.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would get a good push-to-make switch, some long twin core wire (not sure how long is long enough), strip back the ends far enough, solder the switch to both wires at one end, coat the other ends with solder, and then you should have a usable test tool. You might consider fitting a crocodile clip onto one of the bare ends, so you can clamp it onto the battery earth terminal.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+