C3 Sensodrive going neutral while driving. Not recovering.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Michal
My Cars:

C3 Sensodrive going neutral while driving. Not recovering.

Post by Michal »

I just had the weirdest thing happened... While driving slowly, in the 2nd gear, the dashboard started beeping, a few beeps, the gearbox went "-" and switched to neutral. I could not put it into any gear, it would just stay "-". Fortunately I had enough speed to get to a parking space (a shop carpark, luckily did not happen on a roundabout) and stopped there.

Can't turn the engine on now. The gear indicator stays in "-". I can hear some noises from the gearbox actuator when the key is put into the car.

If it happened in the morning, when I was starting the engine, it would be a quick check - the battery - I had it before and replaced the battery then. However, while driving, the alternator should be providing electricity... Is it possible that the alternator is not working properly and when (after some time) the battery gets low, it all goes pear-shaped while driving?

I'll send an update after getting the car on the driveway and checking the battery...
Last edited by Michal on 29 Aug 2014, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Michal
My Cars:

Re: C3 Sensodrive going neutral while driving. Not recoverin

Post by Michal »

After connecting an emergency battery (this kind of special device to help cars start) no luck. However, repeating the senso "reset" procedure resulted at some point in the box switching to the 1st gear. So the car was "locked" on the carpark - bad. Took the battery out for charging at home and the last try on the emergency battery alone, the car somehow switched to neutral again. It was "-" on the dashboard all the time, but gears changed (themselves). So, not thinking too much about it, and not touching anything else, we just quickly towed it a few miles home.

Now the battery is charging, the car waiting. I just hope a miracle happens and when the battery is fine, somehow it all starts working .... :|

Update:
The charger says the battery is fine. The reset procedure, after a minute of noises from the gearbox, has not helped. No miracles today.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

That is exactly what happened to my c2 sensodrive. Tried the bsi reset, two different brand new batteries and it resolutely stayed in 1 and would not start. Mine was towed to a citroen stealer where it was for 5 weeks before it was fixed with a new gearbox ecu and a bill of over £1000.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Michal
My Cars:

Post by Michal »

Thanks.

I have contacted Citroen service and they said it is 78 for investigating and if it's what they think it may be, £600 to fix. I imagine this can very easily get up to £1000... :/ Just wondering if the car is worth it...

Does anyone know if there is any non-dealer garage that would know how to fix it (sensodrive) and cheaper, around Bedford?
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

If you go onto c2 owners forum there are knowledgeable guys on there that might help as the engine and box are the exact same as my c2 was. To be honest if it were me now, I would flog it for spares or repairs the way it is, you won't get a lot for it, sorry to say. Then steer clear of any semi - auto again. If you need an auto buy a real full auto or a cvt. Sorry I can't offer any better advice. I paid £900 for my c2, had full citroen history, 92000 miles it ran for 3 weeks, I did have aa cover which paid £500 of the repairs I paid £522 so car cost me £1422, I by then had another car and I sold it for £800. £622 for 3 weeks. I'll never buy a semi auto again.

If you can find someone local to you with a lexia to plug into it you should be able to find out what is wrong with it but I would expect it to be the gearbox ecu.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like you're not too far from a Lexia expert!
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Lexia is pretty restrictive when diagnosing these cars, I should know we do loads of them.
It will often just say "power latch".
I have purchased all the parts , second hand, and often we fit these to a customers cars as test units, and by trial & error get them sorted. Gearbox actuator is the most common, my tech guy can fit our test one in 20 mins ish :mrgreen:
Unfortunately this is an expensive part, but used ones can be found.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Michal
My Cars:

Post by Michal »

Thank you. I have to think about the options I have... Most likely it is the end of my C3 life...