Xantia broken down!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueboy2001

Xantia broken down!

Post by blueboy2001 »

I went out in the Xantia earlier and as I was driving it it made an awful gurgling noise for a couple of seconds and cut out. Happened just as I dropped into 3rd to overtake someone and as I put the throttle down.
I've tried it and it won't restart. Seems to be turning over alright but won't fire.
I've got it home on a mates low loader trailer and had a quick look at it - there's fuel at all the injectors when cranking and power to the glow plugs. Cambelt looks ok.
I'm hoping its not the dreaded H word. There's no water in the oil or vice versa, but I've a feeling the water level may have dropped a bit, tbh I haven't checked it in a while.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Blueboy,
HG sounds unlikely as it just stopped - although I guess it would stop if you flooded a cylinder, but then I doubt it would turn over. I (well actually my wife as she was driving at the time!) had a do with a BX TD which cut out and wouldn't re-start - turned out the alternator had seized and as the belt was so strong it just stalled the engine, and it couldn't be turned over fast enough to re-start it without taking the belt off. Worth a check while cranking that the auxiliary belt is still going round! There have also been cases of the camshafts on these engines breaking up (although this usually affects BX's where the HP pump is driven off the end of the camshaft) - worth whipping the rocker cover off and having a look - this will also confirm if the camshaft is still going round (heard another one about a BX GTI where the camshaft woodruff key sheared and sent the timing right out). How about collapsed internals in the rear silencer? Lots of possibilities - but at 220k it could well be serious....
Richard
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Ok, I've had a play with it and got nowhere. I've taken the aux. belt off and its made no difference, so i've refitted it. Rocker cover has been removed, along with the top timing belt cover and all appears ok here. The cambelt was only changed in January, and it had a new rear silencer in May - I've banged it a bit and it doesn't sound like its broken up.
One of the lads from work is coming down with a compression tester in a minute. I think it must be the gasket.
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

Can't believe it's the H word (touch wood). Never heard of this failing that sudden - any car - pet or D.
How is the starter cranking speed - as usual ?
If compression is lost by any problem - the cranking would be faster.
If the exhaust collapsed there would be a strange sound scheme shift as pressure builds up.
Any telltales from sounds emitted during cranking ?
The roto-pump will emit strange ticking noises if something internal broke down.
Any major/fatal engine problem would likely emit strange sounds during cranking - a piston blow hole would almost immediately build up pressure in the oil fume hosings.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The compression test has apparently shown very low compression on cylinders 2 and 3! I wasn't there when it was done but the lads a good mechanic and knows what he's doing (I think).
Thinking about it, it is cranking a little faster than usual. Since I changed the glowplugs I've not really heard it cranking because it starts instantly. I had noticed it had lost a bit of its urgency over the last couple of weeks, and was burbling a bit at idle but I'd put that down to some poor fuel as I'd filled it at a garage in the middle of nowhere last time.
I'm not really in a position to do the job myself as I don't want to aggrivate my back injury (its got a lot better in the last 2 weeks) and I don't have the time. I might get one of the lads that works for me to have a go at it as they've no work on this week and he's done engine repairs on his 306 TD. Otherwise its only good for scrap :(
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Sounds like your signature needs updating again BlueBoy, you seem to becoming Citroenless...
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

Well - that definately indicates a blow thru HG between cylinders 2 & 3.
I have to admit this indeed happened rather sudden on my previous Austin Maxi 1500. But as this was a petrol - it was still able to start and run in a usefull manner - though weak pulling.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Sounds like your signature needs updating again BlueBoy, you seem to becoming Citroenless...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Indeed. I've been offered a cheap ex-demo C5 Exclusive but I'm a bit undecided. The lure of a used BMW 530d may prove too much, a customer of mine wants rid of his after Christmas and will let me have it for a good price.
As for the Xantia, I'm undecided whether to repair it or scrap it. It wants a new regulator as well really. The whole car is (unsurprisingly) becoming a bit tired, it doesn't feel anywhere near as sharp as my mates 97 TD with 90k on the clock when driving it, but up until a couple of weeks ago it would pull better and outrun it in a straight line.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

My '94 Xantia TD seems to pull better than my '97 TD. It's either an emissions / catalyst thing 92 vs 90 bhp or maybe they just get "looser" with age. That said, the '97 has 15 inch wheels where as the '94 only has 14s so with the same tyre profile (185/65) the '97 will be 'geared' higher.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

have you checked the valve timing ? could the t/belt have jumped ?
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Head gaskets can go very quickly. My TD BX went quite well for the first 2 years that I had it until I presented it for a MOT and was told the exhaust was filthy. I had the injectors cleaned by an expert and it felt wonderful, however within 18 miles it was on 2 cylinders, suffering in the way yours is or worse. The actual failure happened over about 10 miles, left home, started brilliantly, drove about 5 miles, didn't start quite so well, 2 miles later noticeable loss of power and just made it home by which time it would just run if severely abused.
Cost me loads as head was found to be cracked as well and not worth re-fitting. Goes beautifully now!
Jeremy
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I've decided the Xantia gets a reprieve and the head is now at the engineering works being skimmed and will be put back on on Monday. A mechanic friend is doing it as a favour for me in exchange for me getting rid of some scrap cars for him, one of which is a rather battered CX Turbo Estate.