Xantia S2 ABS warnning light Problem Please read carefully

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia S2 ABS warnning light Problem Please read carefully

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I apparently have an ABS Warnninglight on in my S2 xantia, That does not have ABS.
The engine has just had the head replaced, so the engine has been lean't forwarsd to do this a new cambelt, pulleys and camshaft pulley have been installed.

any ideas please?

cheers Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 06 Dec 2013, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Xabtia S2 ABS warnning light Problem Please read careful

Post by jgra1 »

thought all xants has ABS nige?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

jgra1 wrote:thought all xants has ABS nige?
I think so too. Especially all S2 models should have ABS.
An early model S1 which I have seen didn't have ABS.
Last edited by VertVega on 06 Dec 2013, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My sinker had no ABS.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Are you certain that it does not have ABS Nigel ?

If it has it it will have a large metal block tucked under the front edge of the LHM tank between the tank and the fuse box with hydraulic pipes coming out of it. One way to be sure would be to look up your VIN number on service.citroen.com - if you don't have a (free) account on there, PM me your VIN number and I will check for you.

To those wondering there are definitely Xantia's without ABS - some Series 1 SX spec Xantia's did not have ABS, I know this for a fact as my Dad's 1994 SX had a big gaping hole where the ABS block lives ;) I'm not sure whether any Series 2 Xantia's were made without ABS though.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Xantia S2 ABS warnning light Problem Please read careful

Mandrake PM sent. Thanks.
Yes I am certain it has no ABS the space under the LHM tank is empty (just a metal shelf)
I have also replaced the drivers side drive shaft which has no ring gear for the ABS and the light has never come on in the last five years. I have owned thecar 10 years but never had an abs warnning light on.
I have just checked the Citroen Service Site with the last eight digits of the Vin
+ and it says "no Documentation available" under the Brakes/ABS section.
some websites say that the ABS light was fitted as standard on all models though.
I have found some info about the battery being sluggish when trying to start the engine
which can cause the ABS light to light up, the car has not been on the road for a decent journey for two months.

cheers Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 06 Dec 2013, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

That's very interesting :roll: no ABS and Xantia S2. Learned something new :)

It might be a loose fit instrument panel bulb behind the ABS warning lamp which got contact.
Otherwise I can not see any reason.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
falling-out-with-my-car

I am glad you learned something new, mine was an early mk2 1998 facelift model with componants from mostly older cars.

Brakes have always been absolutely fantastic more like truck brakes than car brakes but hey thats why I love em.

Still strange that the ABS light should light up when there are no ABS sensors?
regards
Nigel.
falling-out-with-my-car

well its had a lexia on it for a couple of hours apparently and the light just wont go out unless you pull a fuse
which disconnects the rev counter I have a lot of admiration for mechanics who work past 5-30pm.
so it looks as though the dash has to come out to remove an active ABS light bulb. even though the car doesnt have ABS
This is Not (capitol N) Not one of those quirks that makes you love Citroens.

regards Nigel..
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Nigel.. take the clocks out and pull the bulb.. 10 mins.. ?
falling-out-with-my-car

please enliten me as to how you can take the clocks out in ten minutes?
undoing the cowling ariound the steering wheel, removing the plastic strip beneath the clock , which incidentially
on the mk2 is in one piece not two like the mk1
remove the plastic strip which retains the clock we are well into an hour already.
falling-out-with-my-car

The front pads are replaced usually twice a year and the wires are no longer connected
as they keep snapping.
The garage was sure it was the ABS light, considering that the dashboard came out in January for a new heater matrix
and the engine has just been rebuilt it is possible that somewherwe along the way because the car has not been used much for the last two months that the damp has got into the wiring somewhere.
anyway I am told that the bulb has been removed now. strange though it seems even a car without ABS
can fail the MOT with a lit ABS warnning bulb. so for all those non-abs Xantia owners out there you may well have an abs warnnig light bulb that could light up at any moment even if you don't actually have ABS. best thing to do is remove the bulb
if you are absolutely sure you do not have ABS. it is always best to check the Citroen service site with your Vin Number first for the specification of your particular vechicle esspecially if your not mechanically minded or don't know what to look for under the bonnet to confirm that you do or do not have ABS.