Citroen C4 - Oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c4tobe

Citroen C4 - Oil leak

Post by c4tobe »

Hello everyone, This is my first time in this forum.

I recently bought a C4 Hatch, 2004, 1.4 Petrol, 113000 Km. It has oil leak in the left side of engine, from near the head gasket. I searched the forum and understood that it is a common problem in C4 petrol engines, especially the 1.4.

I took it to a local mechanic to get a price quote, but he said he can only tell me after he starts the job, and opens the engine/belt cover etc.

Since it is much cheaper to order pieces online, can you share with me your opinion on what the problem is and what parts I need to order? (I am also going to have the timing belt, water pump and accessories belt also changed at the same time). Then I will take parts for the mechanic to do the job.

I checked the radiator coolant reservoir, no indication of oil there. No bubble appearing there while the engine is running. Also I could not see anything wrong with the exhaust (no blue smoke, etc).

But the it leaks a lot, the other day I checked the oil dipstick, and it was TOTALLY dry! (though the panel was saying "oil ok"!?). I had changed oil 5 months ago! Anyway, I put about 1 liter oil, and the oil dipstick now shows oil level at medium.
Can it be that the leak is only external leak?
Which parts you recommend me to change?

Thanks a lot in advance
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C4 - Oil leak

Post by VertVega »

c4tobe wrote: It has oil leak in the left side of engine, from near the head gasket.
There is only one left side and one right side of a car but just to make sure is this "left side" when you are looking at the engine in front of the car or the actual left side :)
2004 and only 113000 km that kind of oil leak sounds unusual to me.

Some pics may be? Since it helps a lot to see the problem. There are many people here who can help.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

1,4 engines have two common oil leaks, both are age related.

First the top cover gasket fails - this is easy to fix; it requires very little removal of parts. At the time of renewal, valve clearances should be re-set.

Second the oil passage to the head loses its sealing ability as the head gasket ages; this puts oil into the coolant in addition to allowing it out the gap between head and block beside the timing cover. A fix takes more time/money as the head must be removed first (and is usually lightly serviced). It's good practice to replace the timing belt and water pump, tensioners, auxiliary belts etc while busy with the repair.
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

VertVega wrote: just to make sure is this "left side" when you are looking at the engine in front of the car or the actual left side :)

Some pics may be? Since it helps a lot to see the problem. There are many people here who can help.
Dear VertVega,
It is the left side, looking at the engine in front of the car ;) (the leak is in the side of engine, next to timing belt cover).

Unfortunately the forum did not allow to upload pics. Here are some photos I uploaded to the TinyPic.

Photos:
c4tobe

Re:

Post by c4tobe »

addo wrote:1,4 engines have two common oil leaks, both are age related.

First the top cover gasket fails - this is easy to fix; it requires very little removal of parts. At the time of renewal, valve clearances should be re-set.

Second the oil passage to the head loses its sealing ability as the head gasket ages; this puts oil into the coolant in addition to allowing it out the gap between head and block beside the timing cover. A fix takes more time/money as the head must be removed first (and is usually lightly serviced). It's good practice to replace the timing belt and water pump, tensioners, auxiliary belts etc while busy with the repair.
Thanks Addo.

What you mean by "Valve clearances should be re-set" ?

btw, I cannot see any oil in the coolant reservoir.

yes, I plan to change all those parts you mentioned (timing belt and water pump, tensioners, auxiliary belt). Anything else you recommend to do/change?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, that looks like your common failure to the oil passage in the head gasket. Otherwise the engine is very clean!
c4tobe

Re:

Post by c4tobe »

addo wrote:Yes, that looks like your common failure to the oil passage in the head gasket. Otherwise the engine is very clean!
But since I do not see oil in coolant reservoir, does not it show that head gasket is fine?
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

I am going to buy parts online and take them to a mechanic to do the job.
What parts you recommend me to buy and change (I can return the ones I do no use later) ?

Head gasket?
Camshaft seals?
Cam cover /Valve seals? (i.e. Gasket rocker cover)
head studs(/bolts?!) ?

Thanks in advance
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Before buying a load of parts it's worth checking the leak isn't coming from the rocker cover gasket or the camshaft oil seal ...in picture 2 I think I can see an oil stain above the head gasket, this may have just got blown there though.

The oil can leak from the head gasket but not contaminate the coolant, they can go on for years like this and many people just carry on running them depending on how bad the leak is of course.

The main oil gallery to feed the head is at the front corner where your leak is so it's more than likely that's the problem but do check the other things first.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
c4tobe

Post by c4tobe »

uncle buck wrote:The main oil gallery to feed the head is at the front corner where your leak is so it's more than likely that's the problem but do check the other things first.
Thanks for the reply. So your guess is to change the Gasket Rocker Cover, right?

Also, in a forum thread, one guy was complaining that he changed the head gasket because of oil leakage, and just after a few months of changing it, it started leaking again!
Is it normal? I mean, I am going to spend a small fortune on repairing this oil leakage (which may not be very critical to put up with), but if it is very probable that the oil leak will be back shortly, why should I bother?

Cheers
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

c4tobe wrote:....So your guess is to change the Gasket Rocker Cover, right?....
Just have a good look around where the rocker cover gasket is and see if the oil could be coming from there and running down.
Also remove the cambelt cover and check that the oil isn't coming from the camshaft oil seal...rule these possibilities out first.

The new gasket shouldn't leak after a few months, the reoccurrence in the forum post you refer to shouldn't happen if the job is done correctly and the cylinder head skimmed if necessary.

It's your decision if you can live with the oil leak or not....personally I hate oil leaks on engines so I would fix it.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
c4newbie
My Cars:

Post by c4newbie »

I have exact same problem with oil on same place with C4 2006. 1.4 16V. What was solution in your case?
Please look pics. Red is oil area.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/a1prmh.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/wlr86x.jpg
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

The solution was head polishing and a new head gasket. (Since I am a friend of c4tobe)

He also changed all the seals including rocker cover gaskets and valve stem seals just to be sure. You can get a full set of all seals and gaskets for a competitive price.
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

This is a very common problem on the 1.4 petrol 16valbe engine, we replace loads of these, it is nearly always the head gasket, as shown in the pictures.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
c4newbie
My Cars:

Post by c4newbie »

Hi today we removed timing belt to see where oil come from. Ha, this is interesting.

I was assumed that oil comes form camshaft seals. But its totally weird that comes from screw that goes into camshaft. My repairman put some superglue on screw and replace camshaft seals (even old was good) and now there is no any oil coming out anymore. I don't know how much this will keep oil form going out.
Probably better solution will be to make new screw or order original one but i don't know part number.

Thanks to everybody and i hope my problem will help someone in future.