Swap over Air bags to new seats......DONE, all WORKING :)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Swap over Air bags to new seats......DONE, all WORKING :)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi Guys

OK, I am still resistant on doing the re-wire in the new (2003) leather seats into the 2005 C5 1.6 VTR, I would prefer the original wires without bodging them even if it is a little more work.

So, I am looking at stripping out the original AirBags (with the correct wires/connections) and fitting these to the replacement seats.

I have searched lots and lots of word combos but cannot find anything on this. Has anyone got a guide or strip down instructions for the front seat Airbag replacement. ?

The Originals are cloth 2005/6 and the new ones are 2003 leather.

Cheers
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 04 Oct 2013, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Swap over Air bags to new seats

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK...seat out, AirBag swapped over.....quite easy and no need to fully strip the seat down, just the side pulls out to expose the bolts and there are good holes to pull the loom out....

Next problem, the big green AirBag connection blocks ON the AirBag loom have been kippered by the previous owner and need replacement....

Anybody know a source for these ? main stealer ??

\Its the Green type, the one that fits INTO the one shown that comes from the seat airbag to the floor. Also, what is the black floor plug (Blue/Red/Green) for ?
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 02 Oct 2013, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Swap over Air bags to new seats DONE !!!!!!

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK....so I continued with my discovery and (educated) guess work. The Goal to fit nice Full Power Black Leather seats from a 2003 car into a 2005 car with No Air Bag lights and Working Air Bags..eg as standard fitting
(Still to work out....the heated seats.....anybody ??)

So Mk1 2003 leather full option seats into a VTR 1.6 2005

Problem is the system wiring is totally different.so I thought I would start with the electrical power to the motors....that IS the same 2001-2007, power seats FIT as the plugs for the power are under the carpet flap, the connector block IS the same.

Problem, AirBag wires are TOTALLY different as are the plugs etc.....so I changed the AIrBags between the seats. The 2005-7 Air Bags FIT into older 2001-2004 seats. Changing them proved VERY Easy, see photos. Looms access is easy if the seats are out, pulls thru easy past the side foam with large holes in the seat metal. Clips recover easy for reuse.

Problem, my 2005 car has the CD changer on the passenger side, 2001-4 cars have it under drivers seat. Tuck the old wires under drivers side carpet flap. Will get a CD changer on eBay and fit to passenger side. 2001-4 CD Changers DO NOT FIT 2005-7 cars.

No AirBag warning light is showing, Lexia shows them as all OK, Seat Power is fine with all motors working.....only Headed Seats not working ATM....I call that DONE :)

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Swap over Air bags to new seats

Post by Stickyfinger »

All done now....had a Mobile Sparkie come in to finish off all the wiring (new gold plated plugs etc), wire.volts/amps checks etc...all passed fine. He had an AirBag testing machine as well and checked the sytem

Just a note, the Airbags have a different part code between Mk1 and Mk1-Facelift however the sparkie was 100% sure that this was just because they have a different plug !.....if you have a Mk1-Facelift carry on and SWAP those seats over for nice (now warm as well) electric Leather seats...from a Mk1 (Lots about ! in scrap yards)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Swap over Air bags to new seats......DONE, all WORKING :

Post by Xantidote »

Useful information - thanks for posting the details. Glad it all works.

BTW, what was the thinking behind the use of gold plated connectors?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Xantidote wrote:Useful information - thanks for posting the details. Glad it all works.

BTW, what was the thinking behind the use of gold plated connectors?
Prevents corrosion and poor contact, originals are gold plated BTW. Its a Bigbugbear of mine the AirBag warning light. ( I HATE warning lights of any type.....It really nags away at me at me to see that yellow service light !)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Stickyfinger wrote:Prevents corrosion and poor contact
Right, thanks for that. Think my TD's too old to warrant any gold plated connectors (no sensors?) :-D . I see gold plated connectors used for connecting up ICE units.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )