Suspension height check

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrduke
My Cars:

Suspension height check

Post by mrduke »

I picked up a Xantia estate at the weekend, and other than possibly needing an LHM flush in the near future, the suspension seems to be working fine. However, the first time I drove it after dark, I was constantly flashed by oncoming drivers, and my dad (who I was following briefly) confirmed that my dipped lights were indeed blinding :oops:
I would normally put this down to bad headlamp alignment, but the fact that both were out made me wonder if the back was riding too low. When parked up, it looks completely level, but are there any tyre-to-arch measurements that would confirm it was OK?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Suspension height check

Post by Peter.N. »

If it looks level it probably is. A rough guide is the drive shafts and rear suspension arms are parallel to the road. I would suspect that your headlights need adjusting, unless of course the rear height regulator is sticking.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A rough guide that doesn't take into account tyre size or model variations:

If you want to be a bit more accurate, here is the precise method that accounts for model variations and different tyre sizes:

One other thing to keep in mind is that the ride height won't be quite the same depending on whether the car has made an upwards correction or downwards correction, there will be some undershoot or overshoot. For example the reading might be 170mm after the car rises but 160mm after it falls, so you need to measure it both ways and take the average.

I just lift the car by hand until it starts to drop then let go, it will then rise again - I then take my upwards measurement. I then sit on it so it drops, after it rises up I get off, the car will then fall, I then take my downwards measurement then take the half way point between the two.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mrduke
My Cars:

Post by mrduke »

Excellent info, thanks for that! :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

A rough rule of thumb is that you should get three fingers between front wheel and wheel arch, and one finger between rear wheel and wheel arch.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!