Lexia taking forever to diagnose all ok ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Lexia taking forever to diagnose all ok ?

Post by charentejohn »

Just managed to get as far as diagnosis and taking ages, and ages, so thought I would type this and see what it is doing later.
Got to Global Diagnosois and sat there saying please wait (showing screen of progress and areas to be tested) for 5 mins, so stopped it.
Trying fuel only and the same.

Two questions, nost important is can I just unplug this in mid test without damage to the car's ecu ?
How long should the diagnosis take ?

As there are no instructions I folowed the screen which said switch off and on which I did and - nothing, so I hit enter and it started but no progress.
What is the normal sequence, switch off on, connect plug to socket etc ?

When I started it said to connect the cable AL04 ? to power the unit ? or is the socket sufficient.
Basically has anyone got an idiots guide to sterting this process or video links etc ?
Problem with all these sort of things is that we buy them with no training course to go on, that comes here I hope :)
What my problem is is that I switch on, then as ever with computers it says 'do you want to flange the grommet fudger' and I go what the... does that mean. I was hoping for plug and play, like it says global reading and I hit yes and it just gets on with it, seems that isn't the case.

I tried youtube but sadly don't speak spanish as there are a couple there.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Lexia taking forever to diagnose all ok ?

Post by Ben82 »

It does seem like the software you are using is rather different than the general one we use. For mine on the C5 it's really simple, In Diagbox I select Citroen, then C5, then C5 again, it then retrieves the VIN (i think I saw somewhere this needs to be done manually on the Xantia? ), it then asks for the RPO, I enter that... it then starts Lexia, I then select Diagnostics - Global Test. It then takes a minute or two (at a guess, never timed it) to get through all the tests.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

This seems to be a problem in that people seem to have Lexias from the same time I bought (sept 2012) yet have Diagbox and not Lexia3 ?
I have to put in the Vin as I think the Xantia computer is pre knowing what it is.
Obviously the software I have is taking too long or the unit isn't working ? who knows.

Not sure what to do now. Maybe try downloading the Diagbox and see if it works with this interface unit ? Anyone tried this.
The version Ihave is here (in French here) " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing I didn't do is allow the product to upgrage via the net - should I have done that as I thought the main thread on this said not to. I may take the time to read through it all later bit it is quite a lot of posts.
Is it worth creating a new Fixed section devoted to Lexia/Diagbox diagnostics and problems like this ? Easier to search if all experiences of setup and using are in the same place.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

From what I've read, 5.29 will work with any clone interface, past that it needs modifying (think you can send it off to scarymistake to have it modified to work with 6+ etc).

From This thread download "Update DiagBox 6.39 dep files 2.doc" and "Rar and install CODE.txt" (if you need to register for downloading and don't want to, then send me a PM and i'll send you it). Download all the files for 5.02 FULL, the Patch V5, and scroll down, and grab the updates for "V05.02 TO V05.20" (don't bother with the long list of individual ones), then the "V05.20 TO V05.29" one.

I'm guessing the Full 5.02 will be an ISO, so mount (or burn) that to install (I use Virtual Clone Drive - it's free and lightweight), install it, and (if it's the same as the 6 install, you just run the program, activate it, exit, and then install the 5.02 to 5.20, run the app, see if it's all ok, and then do the same for 5.20 to 5.29.

Hopefully that will give you something closer to what we have.

BTW from that video, the process seems fairy similar to what we have already.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Ben, a bit confusing for me at the moment so I will need time to take it in.

A general question on first use is.... Do I connect all leads, start the car then open Lexia - or - open Lexia, connet leads then start the car - or - ???
Is there any particular sequence ?
I am fairly sure all is ok just think I am doing something wrong, only I don't know what it is. Hopefully being the weekend, more people online, some kindly person can tell me.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

charentejohn wrote:Thanks Ben, a bit confusing for me at the moment so I will need time to take it in.

A general question on first use is.... Do I connect all leads, start the car then open Lexia - or - open Lexia, connet leads then start the car - or - ???
Is there any particular sequence ?
I am fairly sure all is ok just think I am doing something wrong, only I don't know what it is. Hopefully being the weekend, more people online, some kindly person can tell me.
I've mostly shortcutted mine down to: connect cable, key in (off) get to global test (generally with diagbox it's best to unplug the USB part and replugging it in when selecting "Lexia", seemingly if not Lexia will moan that it can't communicate with the device), then it'll ask to cycle off and on the ignition, and I just turn the ignition on (note: not engine on).

Some cars may require the ignition being on to get to the global test.

Hope this helps
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks ben it does, for a start I had the engine running then when it said turn ignition off and on I stopped and restarted the engine. I will give your sequence a go.
I know computes can get upset if they don't get the sequence right.

Found a couple of videos but not all that helpful " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; both not much help.
Loads on youtube for Peugeots, may be easier to buy a 406 and use the pp software. :-D
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Long descriprion coming up but can anyone help please, somebody must have used this and had similar problems ? or can see what I am doing wrong ?

Ignition is off.
Start Lexia on PC
Wants usb connected berore I can progress so I do that.
Asks for car type and Vin no.
I select Global diagnosis and it searches for vehicle config, takes seconds.
Says switch on and off and connect to socket, already connected and ignition offso I turn on ignition.
Nothing happens so I guess I have to press enter so do that.
Starts global test and just sits there at 2% complete saying please wait. Left for 5 mins no progress.

So, unplug USB and all says failed tests.
Plug back in and retry is the same as above.
Unplug socket to car bit and no change (so was it ever in contact ?)
Tried pf7 (no idea what it is meant to do) and pf9 and nothing happens so PC locked in some way.
Can't do anything basically so unplug usb and all fail messages again.
After unplugging USB opted for PF3 and got a screen saying cust or expert trace, chose customer one ?

Gave messages (vin etc +) RPOno 99999 (never asked for this during setup)
Gives info of 'families interrogated' which is a long list then a list of individual items all saying not recognised + dialogue failed.
Says I have a memory seat but not true.

So any idea what I am doing wrong or should I just buy another Diagbox unit ?
Seems that although the light is on on the interface unit nobody is home ? but then again it say vehicle config worked ?

I just can't think of anything else I can try. Ok for those used to these devices from past work but for the likes of me totally baffling.
Also all the various PF keys with funny symbols, no idea what some do so a manual would be helpful, must be an online one somewhere ?

That was yesterday - realised I had the ignition on 'accessory' setting so retried with fully on but car not started. Never liked leaving ignition on but not starting the car but worth a try to sort this- it didn't.

This time key off, USB in and connected to car.
Search for vehicle configuration now goes to 60% and sticks.
Turned off ignition , no change, unplug USB and returns to previous screen.
Plug in USB and switch on ignition. Select Global test.
Switch ign. off and on (says supply power through AL04 lead which I assume is the normal one)
Switch ign. off and on nothing changes.
PF7=arrow pointing top left, what is this ??
PF12 = triangle on bouncing ball ? what is this, would it help ?
As nothing was happening I hit enter and off we went again, did not show vehicle configuration this time.
5 mins later still at 2% complete and had not moved.
Unplugged at the car end and now all showing no dialogue for all categories, as usual.

Now also says I must close open application to exit, can't seem to do that so just unplugged and switched off PC.

Help........
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

RPO number is on the sticker where the wheel psis are.. mines 10001, so yours will be quite a bit less than that (since its based on the day of manufacture).. could be your issue. but possibly not.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Interesting but I don't get asked for it, it just shows as 99999 (default I guess) on the screen.
Should I reload the software yet again ??
Very tedious as the car had a problem which may be a fuel pump going / blocked and has bee off the road for over 2 weeks, dont want to chance it.
I thought, I will at last use the Lexia, but this has just wasted another week so far.

I still have a gut feeling all would work but I have missed something, but as I don't know anything I don't know what I am doing wrong.
This must have happened to someone else, just cant find them.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Did you update to 5.29?
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

No but I would consider it, I know you explained this before but I didn't really understand.
I would avoid sending the unit off so if 5.29 is usable with this I will give it a try, that said I am more of a download it, run it, leave it type. When it then gets to modify this run that modify somehing else etc. I get lost and worried. So if there is a simple option to download then I will give it a go.

To be honest I have had enough for the moment unless someone can tell me what is happening, I need a break working in the garden I think, anything outside.
My wife suggested I try it on her C3 and I might but don't want to damage that. Worth a try though.
I read a load of the original lexia buying posts and found similar problems, even checked the drivers etc were ok and they seem to be.
I did have an 'unknown usb device' message when installing, then it decided it was ok after all, but they match ok in Device Manager.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It does really sound like your interface is a dud unfortunately, all the more likely if you've never used it successfully since you've had it. From what you describe you are doing everything correctly.

Getting stuck on 2% for 5 minutes while running the global test is definitely not normal. On mine each ECU responds after less than 20 seconds or so, so you should see progress down the list at least once every 20 seconds and the whole global test finished in about 2-3 minutes. Regardless of whether the global test fails or takes a long time you can always go to test by function and go directly to the ECU you're looking for, which is much quicker, I assume that fails as well.

One thing worth checking is whether the fuse which supplies power to the diagnostic socket is ok - its one of the fuses in the fusebox near the socket, your owners manual should tell you which one. If you have a volt meter check the voltage is present on the correct pins on the diagnostic socket. (If its a Series 2 Xantia with a 16 pin OBD-II type socket you'll find the pinouts on wikipedia, not sure about the older 30 pin socket in Series 1 Xantia's)

Other things worth trying is if there is anyone in your area with a Lexia see if they would be willing to try your interface on their Lexia installation, and if you do have another Citroen you could try it on it would be worth a try, I can't see it causing any harm.

By the way, Lexia asks for a VIN number but not an RPO on a Xantia, on a C5 its the opposite - it asks for an RPO number but not a VIN number as it finds the VIN number automatically...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Simon, and others.
I think I will try on the C3 then as that should show if the interface is working, if all ok then it must be the Xantia socket and I can work on that.
A little less frustrated now having walked a way from it for a bit.

One other thought, does the CD/DVD setup program the interface in any way ?
What I am thinking is that it may be worth starting the install process again (if this doesn't work o the c3) if the original install messed up the interface.

If duff I will just buy a new one as just one of those things, but worth giving this every chance first.
As long as what I am doing is right then I know what it must be. As Sherlock Holmes said, when you have exhausted all possibilities whatever you are left with must be the truth. :)

Edited to add a last thought - when Is et up asks for this AL04 lead to power the unit, this wouldn't be the 'clip to the battery' one would it, as if true then it may just be no power to the unit from the plug ?
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Getting there, I hope, based on Mandrake's observations.
Generally I think the unit is ok as I tried it on our C3 and all worked fine, only query I have on this is it says 'turn on ignition', what does this mean. Came up with a few faults or ? symbols but all related to not having the engine running ? Such as Injectors, air bags, starter/alternator (start stop car)
So- does turn on ignition mean start the car ?

Back to my Xantia problem, I eventually found the wikipedia entry (kept searching for Xantia etc when it is a generic OBD layout) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems the pin is no 16 which should be the +ve feed, I also found this post where someone said these weren't even connected http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=328136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Usual naff response on these sort of general sites, saying not connected in diagram, what diagram where ? On all cars ?

So looks like this isn't connected on mine, I will see if I can take it off and check but for now does anyone have one of these that has worked on a 2002 SX HDI ?
If so then it is just mine, it was implied in wikipedia that some cars (continental and mine is french) did not have this connected, so maybe it hasn't.

Next question is what to do about it.
Connect a +ve feed anyway and hope all is well ?
When I connect to the Xantia it says connect lead and AL04 power supply, or words to that effect.

I can see on the interface these is a socket next to the connection from the PC, I assume this is for a power supply then ??? If so where can I get a cable, I have looked online but searching for 12V cable is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I may be able to buy a genuine one but from where ?

Any more thoghts anyone.
Last edited by charentejohn on 05 Mar 2013, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.