re program C5 fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

re program C5 fob

Post by deano1970 »

I have been told and heard on here that using a lexia, a remote fob can be re programmed to another car?? I only got a hard key with mine and need a remote fob cos the last few days,with the cold,I have had to leave my car unlocled cos the key won't unlock it, so I would like to buy a fob off e bay and get it programmed to my car...I just want to be certain it can be done before I buy the fob?? thanks for the help.............dean...
C5 X7
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: re program C5 fob

Post by Ben82 »

From everything I've read, fobs are a single car only thing, once they've been paired with a car, they cannot be paired with another. (I've looked into it a fair bit since my car only came with 1 key+fob, so would like a backup).
The "reprogramming" you see is to get it back in sync with the same car again (e.g. when changing the battery in the fob). Think you're looking at around £60-70 for a key+fob from the dealer/auto locksmith. You usually need the keycard too that came with the car to get the Immobiliser code, to pair a fresh fob up.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi mate,
well I have definitely heard they can be reprogrammed...and I found a site http://www.gallalock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that sell the fobs for £67.00, I tried to ring them and ask but they had gone home...but these are new with a blank blade so they have to be able to program them to a car?? bit annoying that I couldn't find out cos price isn't too bad and key could be cut to the car as well for a few quid more???
C5 X7
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Tend to agree. No Citroen experience (so far) with key fobs, but I lost my spare Saab remote/key and had to order one from Saab with the registration/chassis details, then have it paired to the car and the other key. Cost me £120.
The key was factory cut to the car and the remote was synced with the ECU and the other key. The E bay keys are a mystery to me. It would be a thieves charter if it was that simple.
I was told that the Saab keys on E bay were just a fob, with a blade uncut for anything.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

no it isn't a thieves charter as you would still need access to the vehicle with the original key, and somebody who knows how to use the lexia software to reprogram the fob to the car....and if that isn't the case, then why is that site I mention above,selling fobs with blank blades if they are totally worthless?? :)
C5 X7
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

hi dean hope the car is still going well. not sure if the fob and key come with a blank chip you may be able to do it with the lexia. if you can get hold of thre firm ask them. you will need the key code which you should be able to get off the birdman
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi derek,
yes car is going great thanks very much....I just think that there has to be a way of programming a new fob as the site is selling them?? I will ring them and ask, meanwhile I will ask birdman for my code once I have written down my vin......cheers,dean.....
C5 X7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I believe that there is a seperate transducer in the original fob which tells the car that the key is in the the ignition, that also has to be swapped to the new one or it won't start.

Peter
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

could i not put my key in the ignition and then get the fob programmed?? i just need it for locking purposes........citroen have quoted around £120 for a new one, bit expensive really....would like to do it cheaper?? how do the new fobs as advertised on the site i mention,get coded to a car from a buyer of the fob?? If it still has to go to a dealer,I might as well get it done at a dealer and be done with it, but I will see if anyone comes up with anything new on here first....... :|
C5 X7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the ones available on ebay assume that you are replacing a key and have the bits of the old one. If you only need it to open the doors you probably don't need it.

Peter
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

peter, I need it for the doors because, with the weather being so cold, the lock on driver side is frozen,and the passenger side,it just turns right round, I know it is because it is freezing,but I am having to leave my car unlocked at night because I can't risk breaking my only key trying to lock it,whereas if i had a working fob, I could lock it up safely........
C5 X7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds fair enough. I think you can get another key programmed just to open the doors but you need the transponder for it to start the car. I may be talking complete rubbish but this is what I have picked up from the forum. My C5 remote doesn't work and my Lexia has packed up so I don't have remote locking either :(

Peter
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

deano1970 wrote:no it isn't a thieves charter as you would still need access to the vehicle with the original key, and somebody who knows how to use the lexia software to reprogram the fob to the car....and if that isn't the case, then why is that site I mention above,selling fobs with blank blades if they are totally worthless?? :)
I did say I had no experience of the Citroen fob, but the blank Saab blade was useless as it had to be cut by Saab (couldn't get anyone else to look at it) for the original car and the fob had to be mated to the ecu and other key (if you had one).

Car thieves these days are one step ahead of manufacturers and old bill usually so no doubt they would be able to gain access to virtually any car and get a set of keys working if E bay keys were easy and cheap to get working.. That said, what I'm saying is, it might be as well to get original stuff from Citroen, then you have some sort of comeback if it doesn't work.
Sometimes the cheaper option ends up costing more eventually. There are loads of guys on here who know how to use the Lexia software so it shouldn't be hard to find a crook who could do it too.
As regards people selling worthless stuff on E bay.......well..... nuff said.
Personal choice really, and depends on finances too.
Rick.

deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

I agree, but I didn't mention anyone selling worthless stuff on e bay, if you look at my post, it is a genuine website selling fobs with blank blades...check it out... http://www.gallalock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; point to note, they do not sell saab fobs?? and as for crooks being able to get into them, I am talking about someone entering my car,with my key,and programming a fob to my car.....with a lexia.....not breaking in and programming a fob with a lexia, cos obviously they would need a key that fits the ignition to start the car...otherwise the crook has a fob that is programmed to a car but can't start it, never mind the time and effort a lexia session takes...so, what i am saying is, check the site, see they sell the fobs (not e bay) and if they cannot be programmed to a car,why are they able to sell the fob if it's worthless.??? I have to wait until monday to phone the company and ask them but they have to be able to be programmable to a car for whoever buys one of these fobs??? surely??
C5 X7
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Hope you're right Deano, it could save a few quid. As regards breaking into your car, the break into your house and nick the keys these days. Not sure about needing a key either, there is a thread on here, in the last few days I think, where the owner was asking how the thieves managed to get away with his car without activating the fuel shut off or something. Were you intending to have the blank blade cut for your car?
All I would say is, try to make sure it's all going to work before you part with your hard earned. Let us know how you get on.
Rick.