Xantia HDi lift pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia HDi lift pump

Post by RichardW »

Looks like I might not get to 200k of Xantia-ing without a ride on the back of a wagon....

The lift pump has always been noisy on this car - then yesterday morning there was a bit of fluctuation in revs at start up for a few seconds, this morning it ran OK, but the pump was quite noisy pre-start. Then 500yds from work all the lights came on and it coasted to a halt :roll: Refused to re-start and there is only silence from the rear #-o Odds on then that the pump has finally thrown in the towel - well it's done 140k and 12 years so I can't really complain!

Now, where abouts is the access hatch? I lifted the front of the boot carpet and the carpet under the seat, but it didn't reveal itself. Is it right on the top rail under the front edge of the rear seats? Do the seats need to come out? I was thinking if I could get the hatch off, I might be able to give it a thump and get it going so that I could get home again (albeit in stages maybe) without having to resort to getting a ride.

Replacement pump supplier?
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia HDi lift pump

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Richard :(

The access hatch is under the driver's side rear seat base under a big round rubber (plastic) bung. Once the seat base is up you then need to lift the flap of carpet to see it. Should be no need to remove the seat though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Richard,

I had similar experience on my Xantia, it refused to start in a multi story car park. Almost in desperation I hit the top of the pump with a rubber hammer that was in my tool bag although some people have suggested a hand slap underneath the tank.
It was enough to 'wake up' the pump and it continued working for the few days necessary until I bought a replacement from GSF.

I've since seen on ebay various sources for this pump, listed 2 of them below

271108182666 £51 inc p&p replacement pump only. This could be fiddly to fit because it is only the pump element of the whole unit. It is cheaper though and carries a 3 year warranty ( wish I'd known about them when I had my problem :-D ).

390389071444 £120 inc p&p . This item is the compete pump/fuel gauge sender unit.

I'm sure you will have seen other posts on the forum about checking the fuel filter in the engine bay for debris, usually brass dust, which is produced when the lift pump in the tank begins to fail. If anything gets into the high pressure pump the result is usually severe wallet damage :(

Happy spannering
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

A ha - found it under the front bit of carpet after I levered the plastic cover off the seat mountings - with the only thing I had to hand, namely a shovel :lol: . A bit of discussion with it with the wheel brace and she sprang back into life. Diagnosis confirmed 8-)

Hopefully we'll get home without it needing another seeing too - time to order a new one..... Already spent over £500 on cars in the last month. Ouch :twisted:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think I'd spring back into life and behave myself after a 'discussion' with a wheel brace Richard...

Still, a good positive diagnosis :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm, occasionally if I turn the key for too short a time on my V6 and the engine doesn't quite start I hear a noisy sounding fuel pump (I assume that's what it is) from the rear of the car slowly spin down over a period of 5 seconds or so....should I be expecting trouble with it soon too ? :roll: Most of the time it doesn't make any noise so I'm baffled as to why it occasionally makes a slow, dry spinning down sound over such a long length of time, and yet is silent most of the time...(I've only noticed it 3-4 times)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, nothing to worry about at all Simon. you'll often hear funny sloshing and other noises from the tank pump. Sometimes they can sound very alarming but all is absolutely fine.

I believe it might just be turbulence in the swirl pot.
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Wagon it was.... only got a couple of miles from the office before it died again, and wouldn't restart.

Got a new pump on order from carparts4less - £82 for an unbranded affair - and £10 off that with their current offer, so not too bad. Looking forward to changing that in the current baltic weather :roll:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Looking forward to changing that in the current baltic weather :roll:
At least you can work on it inside the car Richard... Pop a fan heater in there and it'll be quite cosy...
Jim

andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

CitroJim wrote:
RichardW wrote:Looking forward to changing that in the current baltic weather :roll:
At least you can work on it inside the car Richard... Pop a fan heater in there and it'll be quite cosy...
In which case I would take out the lower part of the seat, to have a bit more elbow room

Just two nuts to remove once that plastic cover is off.

On my car those are just finger tight as I've taken that part of the seat off a few times. Very handy for one or two unusual loads.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

#-o #-o =D>

Hadn't thought of that Jim. Even though I have a fan heater in the gararge for defrosting the cars! None of that grafting scraping cars round here 8-)

I would take the seat out I think - it keeps falling down on the job. Has it been drinking =P~ Wonder how easily the plastic ring will let go after 12 years.... 8-[
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

In my experience the plastic ring is more of a problem to get back on than to take off.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

RichardW wrote: I would take the seat out I think - it keeps falling down on the job. Has it been drinking =P~
It's because of your height

(it won't fall down if you move the front seat forward)

But it's very quick to remove anyway.
Gibbo2286 wrote:In my experience the plastic ring is more of a problem to get back on than to take off.
I haven't looked in there myself so don't know what type of plastic it is. Would pointing the heater gently towards it help at all?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It was sunny but cold here today so I stuck the new pump in this afternoon. Took a fair bit of persuasion to get the ring moving and there is only just enough room to wiggle the ring and pump out past the fuel pipes. ring went straight back on - but then I did clean it and grease with vaseline before attempting. Engine fired up straight off 8-) Anyone doing the job is advised to have a bit of tube and drain tray on hand - the unit body fills up with diesel and has a one way valve in the bottom, and the pump needs to be tilted to clear the fuel gauge float, so it needs to be emptied a bit to avoid it slopping out. New pump is very much quieter than the old one ever was!

PS Engine management light is on - presume it will go off after a few starts, otherwise will have to call on Mandrake to turn it off :)
Richard W
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Good news that it's going again.

Reminder: have you had chance to check fuel filter?
electronmirror wrote:I'm sure you will have seen other posts on the forum about checking the fuel filter in the engine bay for debris, usually brass dust, which is produced when the lift pump in the tank begins to fail. If anything gets into the high pressure pump the result is usually severe wallet damage :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )