not a citroen but pug site very quiet

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

coastline taxis

not a citroen but pug site very quiet

Post by coastline taxis »

Transferred from the Peugeot forum.

406 hdi 90bhp 51 reg 290k bosch fuel system non start.

PostFri Dec 28, 2012 8:50 pm
Hi
Its normally Citroëns that is our cup of tea but this one came today and there more or less the same as a c5. So hear goes
put the ignition on and cant hear the pump going under the back seat to prime the system. so we have a pump multi plug connected to 12v power supply and we plugged this into the pump and still nothing.ok problem solved needs a intank pump so we put one on. car still wont start so we rechecked the work that was done and all was ok apart from one thing that we didnt fully check. When we checked the power supply to the pump with the multi meter we got a reading and decided it was ok. upon rechecking what we have is a permenant 12v going to the pump even with the key out ( so we are taking it that this is what killed the pump).
So we moved to the engine bay and the high pressure pump is constantly buzzing on what we belive to be the 3rd piston/deactivation solenoid again even when the key is out. ok time we got the diagnostic out and we got code p1164 fuel pressure high (snapon solus pro). Now if this was a c5 wed start testing the pressure regulator on the pump and the rail. But the pug isnt a c5 and while they share the basics but there are lot more differences than we 1st thought. Anyway we keep thinking that it could be the fuel control module that is built into the fuse box.
breif history is the car was running perfect and was parked up at 6.30 pm last night then wouldnt start at 9.30 this morning Weve checked wireing for brea
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: not a citroen but pug site very quiet

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds like the Brown Double Injection Relay is playing up... This is useually in the ECU Box, next to the Engine ECU... Not 100% sure where that is on 406's, on the Xantias its on the left at the front...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I would definitely agree that the ECU seems to be remaining powered up and thus keeping the pump running...

What should happen is the pump should run for 3 or so seconds on switching on the ignition and then it should stop until the engine is started and running. As soon as the engine stops the pump should stop too. This is a safety feature to ensure the pump stops in say, the even of an accident...

The double relay is a good place to start. It may be black and is easily recognisable as being just like a normal relay but twice as wide and having an 11 pin connector on it...

Generally they are reliable but there's always an exception. It's a fairly standard item used across all Citroen and Peugeots; any of which should act as a donor to test the theory...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

pig pig pig horrible pig of a car. had to buy a new fuse board to get the fuel control module anyway put it on and the pump now goes as it should but the car still wouldnt start. so plugged it back in amd got p0344 camshaft signal. So put a camshaft sensor on of a c5 and hey presto the car fired up Horay job done but we couldnt hear a fat lady singing. So car now fires up and runs as it should but it has lost the memory for the radio also the heater settings and the fuel economy display has gone altogether. we tuned the radio in and set the heat to 20 then put the fan on and all is fine. take the key out and wait 10 mins and put the ignition back on and all has reset itself to off. Also rear demist comes on for 3 seconds and then turns itself off. Have checked part numbers on the fuseboard and there correct. What fuses cover these and are there any comon faults regarding this.
steve
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Might be worth trying the BSI reset procedure, which is documented elsewhere on the Peugeot forums! I had similar nonsense to this with my last 406 when it's battery went totally flat on me, it's also worthwhile making sure you've got the correct shunt-link in place of relay 1242 in the engine-bay fusebox - I believe this feeds one of the BSI supplies!

Otherwise you're looking at a Planet jobbie I'm afraid, and if you get mega-stuck it may even be necessary to reflash the BSI unit - you'll need the car's original 4-digit Security Code to do this!!!

Chris Williams