Heater Master

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmy69
My Cars:

Heater Master

Post by Timmy69 »

Hi Guys
I don't know if this is the right place to put this..But today i met a man who i can only describe as a genius.His name is Rory Perrett and thanks to him i have probably saved my self quite a bit of money and also he has stopped me having a very cold winter.I had had my Xantia to a qualified auto electrician whose advice was:- Get a new heater control unit and blower motor fitted and then i will check its ok.?.
Rory took me to one side and told me that he was willing to have a go and did not guarantee anything.I met him this after noon and he spent over 3 hours trying to sort the problem out.and it wasn't the usual problem that i have seen posted on here.After an hour i was ready to give in "thinking nice guy,but i don't think he can sort it"But the problem wouldn't beat Rory and he stuck at it and finally i had a working heater and air con back on and a new headlight to boot :)

So Rory Perrett of the French Car Forum,I would just like to say a massive Thank You From Me and the Family,You are one of the nicest people i have met and a true Legend..Also Thanks to Chris, and Rory's Wife for the lovely cup of Tea.
Chris Did the light not the Tea lol.

Thanks again mate
Tim
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Heater Master

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This is why I LOVE this forum. Not only do the members manage to fix the unfixable, they give credit where credit is due.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:This is why I LOVE this forum. Not only do the members manage to fix the unfixable, they give credit where credit is due.
Absolutely spot-on and the very ethos of this forum. It's very heartening to see it's very alive and extremely well...

Excellent work Rory =D> =D> And Tim, thanks for sharing this wonderful conclusion to your heater woes :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

Credit Where Credit Is Due Is A Motto Of Mine,And Should Be Of All OF US.:)..Rory Is A Damn Nice Guy And Thank You Two For The Nice Comments.
This Is One Hell Of A Nice Forum.
Keep Up The Good Work..People Like Me And Probably Many Others Need Guys Like You.
So Thanks And Cheers To...The French Car Forum :)

Tim
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Nice work.. its good to hear feed back about other member when experience has been received like this..

what was the issue? an electrical problem ? was it a burned out or broken feed behind the fuse box in the end?

i think i said else where its very rare the heater control panels go wrong if at all..

ive had a couple of xantia now where power feed to the fuse box particular sections have failed...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Tim.

Thanks for the kind words, it was my pleasure to help out a fellow forumer (is that a real word?)

The problem was the feed from Fuse 5 to the power relay coil located under the dash board just above the accelerator pedal. I was getting continuity and a voltage reading but I suspect there was a high resistance joint somewhere.

Anyway, new wire from F5 to relay terminal 1 was the answer in the end but unfortunately working through the system methodically is the only way, perhaps next time I will start at the fuse box rather than the motor.

I have to say thanks to Tim for his patience and forbearance, it did occur to me afterwards how calm he was about watching a complete stranger disembowelling the electrical system of his car!!!!! He must have nerves of steel.

Rory
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Rory,

I have that when I go and meet a new customer who dont know me and watch... you can "see" the panic in their face.. ".. Oh my god, I hope he can put it all back..." :-D :-D :-D

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

rory_perrett wrote: I have to say thanks to Tim for his patience and forbearance, it did occur to me afterwards how calm he was about watching a complete stranger disembowelling the electrical system of his car!!!!! He must have nerves of steel.
and
citroenxm wrote: I have that when I go and meet a new customer who dont know me and watch... you can "see" the panic in their face.. ".. Oh my god, I hope he can put it all back..." :-D :-D :-D
I think it arouses much the same feeling as when we sit in a dentist's chair :lol:

Actually, I'm happier in a dentist's chair than allowing one of my cars to be attended to by the garage profession... In fact, I'd trust a fellow forum member completely and have on several occasions when I've been unable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I dont trust anyone just yet while Im still rather able (Except you Jim, Id trust you with my life) but I do think to myself when I get to the unable stage, would I be able to find someone like Myself to work on my cars...

Im sure its rather frustrating for yourself Jim when you have a bad day and something needs dooing.. :cry:

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Im sure its rather frustrating for yourself Jim when you have a bad day and something needs dooing.. :cry:
It's very worrying at times Paul and I try to keep on top of the cars when I can. Like yesterday I gave them a good check-over ready for Thursday.

In fact, a few times it's crossed my mind to get a new car for the reliability it might offer but sense prevails. Besides my V6 is almost new anyway...

I'm very lucky in that Chris570 is local and has come to my rescue many times recently and is something I'm incredibly grateful for. Thanks Chris =D> :-D Several times he's given me stern lectures about trying to do too much...

I know that without this forum and club-xm and the fantastic people therein I would have got rid of all but one of my Citroens by now and would be driving something bland but seeing what Vince said recently it seems new doesn't always equal reliability...
Jim

Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

Hi
To be honest after about an hour when we didn't seem to be getting anywhere thats when a slight doubt came in.But Rory seemed to be on top of it and is a guy that doesn't seem to want to give in,When he took the fusebox out i thought omg its worse than i thought.I am ok with minor mechanical stuff but the Electrical Hocus Pocus i will leave to guys like Rory :)
I Really Can't thank Him enough :)

Timmy