Poor braking maybe?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MonkeyMark

Poor braking maybe?

Post by MonkeyMark »

I have a C8, and the braking on it seems to be a little lacking. Dont get me wrong, it stops ok, but you seem to have to press the pedal a good bit before it gets past the light braking stage if you know what i mean.

Maybe its supposed to be like that, i have nothing to compare it to as i,ve never had a citroen before.

I was going to check the colour of the brake fluid (to get an idea of age), but isnt it in a bloody hard place to get to!! :?

What do other C8 owners think out there?
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Poor braking maybe?

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be the servo at fault, possibly due to lack of vacuum, check the pipe for leaks especially the connections.

Peter
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Our Peugeot 807, which is off the same production line as your C8 needs a very light foot on the brake. Obviously not not in the same league as either my old BX or Xantia, but better than my current Xsara and most other cars /vans / MPV's I've driven. So I'd have to agree with Peter's reply that the servo isn't doing it's job.

I see from your other posts you are doing the cambelt, so I'm hoping you know about the premature belt snap issue. If not you need check it has a rainwater diverter fitted under the coolant tank. Lot's of links on google, for example: http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic- ... c&&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ratheram

Post by Ratheram »

Most late Dispatch vans seem to have that. We looks into it on one, new pads/discs/shoes/hoses and bled brakes and didnt resolve it. Brakes stop fine, passes the mot but the pedals seem to feel a bit "low". Could be 1 of "those" things
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Thanks fo rthe replies all, i'll have to check the VIN when i get a chance.

miked wrote: I see from your other posts you are doing the cambelt, so I'm hoping you know about the premature belt snap issue. If not you need check it has a rainwater diverter fitted under the coolant tank. Lot's of links on google, for example: http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic- ... c&&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did not know about that, not had the car that long.

I'll have a look around the net so I can check what i need to look for with the rainwater diverter, not sure what it would look like.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

miked wrote: http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic- ... c&&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That link does not pay much about the water issue, it refers to a wet belt once I think, but not much more. I'll keep looking around.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

The linkage across to the servo has an adjustment in it.If its the same as a dispatch its behind a black pulloff cover on the bulkhead where the linkage comes through.Removing some of the free play cured one dispatch we hadin.If the servo needs changing its an awful job-might be easiest to take engine out.When Ilooked up the instructions on Citroen service item 1 said remove power unit.
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

MonkeyMark wrote:
miked wrote: http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic- ... c&&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That link does not pay much about the water issue, it refers to a wet belt once I think, but not much more. I'll keep looking around.

No worries, i've found more information on this.
The peugeot's part number is 824871, not sure if it's the same for Citroen. Snet a couple of dealers an email to ask if they have them as i cant seem to find it for sale anywhere on the net.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

artdjones wrote:The linkage across to the servo has an adjustment in it.If its the same as a dispatch its behind a black pulloff cover on the bulkhead where the linkage comes through.Removing some of the free play cured one dispatch we hadin.If the servo needs changing its an awful job-might be easiest to take engine out.When Ilooked up the instructions on Citroën service item 1 said remove power unit.

Cheers, i'll have a look at that. Dont fancy taking the engine out, no hoist available, so i'll hope a pad and fluid change will improve it somewhat.

Any recommendations for brands of pads?
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

PDF about the drip tray and where it goes here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 0DzPrRYkgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

miked wrote:PDF about the drip tray and where it goes here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 0DzPrRYkgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Much appreciated.
I would have been looking for something much smaller. Will have a quick check tonight that it has not already had one fitted (not noticed one, but then again wasn't really looking for one). A couple of places can order one in for me for £20.

Cheers.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.