C5 2.2hdi turbo over boost?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phil1969

C5 2.2hdi turbo over boost?

Post by phil1969 »

hi, i'm new to citroens, just bought a C5 2.2hdi exclusive. i'll start with the things done so far, suspension leak fixed parts replaced. DPF removed and ecu remap as anti polution fault on dash. but still has the anti polution fault on dash and engine and service light on by the clocks plus in limp mode can't go over 2500rpm, has been checked and the fault code is turbo over boost. where do i start EGR valve off and cleaned, check pipe work to turbo? read alot of posts on here about this but thought i'd put my own on here too.

hope you can help.

Phil
woodywoodpecker

Re: C5 2.2hdi turbo over boost?

Post by woodywoodpecker »

Phil,
Check the swirl valve is working its located on the right hand side of the cylinder head as your looking under the bonnet, you are looking for a long thin rod with plastic ball cup on the end and it connects to the intake butterflies. Its a common fault with the 2.2hdi when you start the car the rod should move fully backwards towards the windscreen and when you rev the car it should come forwards. A few i have seen have come off the ball it clips on to, if its connected and not moving you have a vac leak. Check this first and let us know.
phil1969

Post by phil1969 »

will do, cheers.
phil1969

Post by phil1969 »

right... checked the rod and its connected but it stays where it is when the car is started and moves towards the windscreen when revved. doesn't move hardly when lightly revved. hope this helps. forgot to mention that the lights on the dash and the anti polution fault go off at times but will come back on when accelerated to 3000 or over it'll kick back on.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Hi I have same engine and I believe my swirl thingy works the same goes towards windscreen when over approx 2000 rpm.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The swirl butterfly actuator should open at 2100 rpm. So, that's working normally.

There are 5 actuators on a common vacuum system (aswell as the brake servo ). The fact that the swirl butterfly is operating ok suggests that you don't have a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak can prevent the actuators from working which is the usual culprit for turbo overboost.

The turbo is designed to give maximum boost when the controling vacuum actuator is inactive. This means that, if the actuator isn't working, there's no control of turbo boost pressure and when you put your foot down you get overboost right away.

The problem is probably with the turbo vacuum control electrovalve. It lives on the bulkhead under the plastic cover by the passenger side suspension sphere ( assuming it's a RHD C5).

Theres a vacuum in pipe, a vacuum out pipe and an electrical plug.

Next to the turbo electrovalve I think it's the EGR electrovalve. Perhaps you could try swapping the connections to the EGR electrovalve and take the C5 for a run. I'm not sure this is actually possible, but, it's worth a look.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Little bit of clarification, the turbo actuator and the swirl valve actuator are fed from their own vacuum subsystem with it's own resevoir. As kev points out with no vacuum the turbo is in max boost mode. The problem is almost certainly, a problem with leakage, and on older 2.2 holes in the swirl valve diapraghm causing variable vacuum leakage is almost a certainty, the rubber joiners that join bits of the vacuum pipe are also a known problem.
The proper way of checking this is measuring the vacuum. This has been well covered in these forums, do a search on swirl valves and my name and you will find this topic covered in some detail.
I would say that the problem is unlikely be due to the electrovalve but I would put money on a swirl valve actuator with a diaphragm full of holes :-)
cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
phil1969

Post by phil1969 »

thanks guys will look into it. full day on it tomorrow. i'll let you know.

thanks again

Phil
phil1969

Post by phil1969 »

Right, the car is sorted! Completely different motor. The fault was the swirl valve, the rubber had a couple of small pin holes in it when I inspected it.£23 on ebay, fiddley job but done. Also found the plastic T piece next to the butterfly valve that the bar of the swirl valve connects too was loose. Only held on by 1 10mm bolt, put a new rubber O ring on tightened back up. No more fault codes.

Thanks for all your help.

Phil
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Glad you sorted it, £23 from ebay!! I am sure I paid less at the dealer.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

I paid £16 from the Main Stealers! - makes it worth calling them once in a while - you never know!
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica