DW8 Timing Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

DW8 Timing Belt

Post by BrianM »

Hello All,
Helping a friend do the timing belt on his (sorry) 1999 peugeot partner 1.9d dw8 engine. Did it on my own previous xantia 1.9td before so thought not so big a job.
Using these direction
http://peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-206/20 ... EG10K3.HTM
We locked up all, flywheel, camshaft and pump and have done the tensioner, water pump and idler roller. Getting a bit lost now however with the part about loosening the studs on the camshaft pulley and injector pump pulley. Is this just to allow a little play to get the belt on ?. :? Have tried it and after 2 turns of the crankshaft the locking pin in the camshaft is ever so slightly out - enough not to get it to thread in. :cry:

Thanks

Brian
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: DW8 Timing Belt

Post by jgra1 »

Brian, I can' speak for the DW8, but I am fairly sure it's simliar to the TD regarding timing etc.
A few of us use something slightly smaller than an ?M8 bolt to lock the crank, something that will (can)go in at a slight angle..
I dont think you need to worry.. if one tooth was out on cam or Inj pump, I think the hole in the flywheel would be quite a long way out..
I expect you are just noticingthe camshaft pulling things slighty out of kilter..
Suggest a mirror to get a look into flywheel hole to make sure its very close, and lock that first and see how the others look?
I am guessing the belt is tensioned ok?

others will be along to offer more

john
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The DW8 Timing belt Locking idea is IDENTICAL to the XUD.. Except the Cam locking position is at 7pm ish, rather then the XUD which is at 5pm ish...

Theres NO NEED to slacken any pully bolts, lock her all up, take the old belt off, fit the new one, tension it up, and away you go.

Ive done a DW8 on a 306 recently and it was as easy as that.. The tensioner is an Eccentric one thats all that differs from the XUD one.. My advice would be to lock it all up again on the Cam at 7pm and as John says use an M8 BOLT no need for a pin, then lock the Injection pump, theres two Bolts in them, and they do use an M8 Bolt to screw into the pump plate, and then I use a 6mm Allen Key in the crank locking hole.. its nice and tight then...

With that all in position, and the belt fitted and tightend up correctly she should go no bother.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Thanks -
Its an M8 bolt I'm using in the camshaft pulley. ( no fancy tools I'm afraid) Its at the 5 o'clock position. There are two holes in the flywheel too - when we got the first one neither pump nor cam were in the right place. Had tried to tension the belt according to the instructions but no fancy guage either - was assuming that it was to put whatever stretching would happen on the belt before it went into 'service'. Going at it again this evening so ....

Brian
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ahh .. Brian there is an offcenter hole (s) in the flywheel.. maybe this is the problem.. I think there are 6 actually, probably holding the clutch on.. easy to try and use these instead of the one proper one..
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I would turn the FW carefully and use a mirror, you will see when the right hole comes around.. then sort the cam and inj afterwards,.,. means the belt off again but ?

Obviously you will need to budge the camshaft around as and when, while turning crank
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just peg the cam and pump first, then you might need to rock the crank a tinny bit one way or the other to locate flywheel hole, as long as it was running ok before and you havent taken the old be;lt off yet this method will be fine,

some of the DW8 engine's had three bolts as well as the main centre fixing bolt at the cam and pump, the three bolt are in slotted hole's and they say to slaken these of to acomadate the new belt, but i have never done this even though i find the cam belt a shoe horn job the get over the sprockets,

make sure the new water pump sprocket is the same diamiter/omount of teeth as the old one,
as i was once supplied the wrong one and did not notice till i could not get the new belt on, as the new sprocket was a bit bigger,

regards malcolm
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Well its back on the road again but not before a few unrepeatable statements were made about it !
Lined all up again, on with the belt, tensioned it, turned crankshaft, checked everything again and everything fine. Started her up and first catch off she went.
Reved fine but then when letting off the rev smoking and 'missing' :( . - hence the choice language.
Went through the whole lining up again to be sure to be sure - still ok.
Slackened the belt slightly and all was ok :? -
Hoping not to get a call today to come with a tow rope !

Brian
09 C5 Exclusive
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 3 bolts on the cam pulley & the injection pump should be loose when applying the tension to the belt & then tightened up again before you turn the engine by hand. When you pull the tension on the belt without loosening those bolts it can turn the pulleys ever so slightly & knock the timing out.