Xantia HDI oil type and grade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Xantia HDI oil type and grade

Post by charentejohn »

Thought I would raise this as a separate post, still struggling to decide what oil to put in the car.

It has a synthetic put in by the previous owner, I don't mind synthetics but have never used them before.
So I am just as happy to revert back to good old fashioned oil though.

I have the French maintenance book by ETAI (like Haynes but better in my opinion) but no Owner's Manual, so don't know what that says.
ETAI book says - Multigrade SAE 5W40 10W40 15W40 - then since 2000 cars had 5W30 from the factory, for reasons of fuel economy.
Also says change at 12,500miles or 2 years, 9,500miles or 1 year if heavy usage.

I normally prefer to change the oil more often with a cheaper oil, so would probably go with 7-8,000miles with light use, mostly open roads driving at 50-60mph, occasional motorway.

I have read the arguments for and against synthetics, so am naturally more confused than ever, anyone car to confuse me some more ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDI oil type and grade

Post by Clogzz »

5W30 for economy is clutching at straws.
I use mineral 15W40 of whoever is cheapest at the time, but never downmarket brands because they’re not good for long.
Oil changes about every 5,000 miles, and done so for 12 years with the Xantia.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use Morris's semi synthetic, just over £10.00 for 5 litres in Trago Mills - but you probably don't have those in France.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I agree on the economy argument, less resistance in runnier oil but would anyone notice ?

I usually buy branded oil Total / Elf here mostly, and am inclined to go for a 5W40. 5W40 and 10W40 are the most common grades on sale
I only do 6k miles a year now so annual changes make sense, mad not to do it regularly as Oil and filter only cost about £25.
Last edited by charentejohn on 18 Dec 2011, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroen state to use Total 9000 5W/40 which is fully synthetic, a reliable supplier I've used several times is Chandlers Oils who sell it in cases of 3 for £19.46 per 5 litre can.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Is that recomendation from the Owner's Manual ?
Just interested as I know these engines went into lots of later cars C5 etc. so assume they recommend synthetic for them.
Xantia HDI just at the crossover point so did they leave the oil grade alone in the handbook or change it ?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I use Total Quartz 9000 5w30 in the same engine, change it every 6,000 miles/6 months.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

charentejohn wrote:Is that recomendation from the Owner's Manual ?
Yes.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

API CD/CF is the spec for both XUD and Hdi 8 valve engines. I believe that the filters are the same although listed under different numbers - they fit anyway.

Peter
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Peter.N. wrote:API CD/CF is the spec for both XUD and Hdi 8 valve engines. I believe that the filters are the same although listed under different numbers - they fit anyway.
HDi filters are different internally which allows then to last twice the distance.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah, thanks for that, it means my sons XM has an over the top filter then - fitted by mistake. The frequency with which I change the oil should make either type suitable for either car then.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Either 5W/40 or 10W/40 is Ok for the normal range of UK temperatures... 10W/40 is specified for use to -4 degrees but strictly 5W/40 would be the better choice given how these past couple of weeks has been.. That's good down to shivering brass monkeys.

I'll use 10W/40 universal petrol and diesel oil in mine, bought in bulk from Costco, as it's done over 200K and that oil is also fine in the Activa and V6. It too works out at a tenner for five litres and is changed frequently.

It meets the specs. and to be honest, when changed every 5K I can't see a problem in using this oil in all the cars...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree Jim. I have always used the cheapest in spec oil I can find and have never worn out an engine yet. I have had a couple of XMs with neary 300k and I personaly did over 150k in a CX 25DTR Turbo on oil which was them probably less that a fiver, changed every 5k.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Checked the oil specification in the book thinking it might help, for post 2000 cars says API SJ/CF EC or AVEA B1/98. So that's all clear then. Tried outtin ghis in and found another level of information and confusion. Oil specs here http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but no actual info.
Sadly the specs apply to mineral and synthetics so no clues.

Still if as DickieG says this is in the owners manual as 5/40 synthetic then I will go with that if I can find it, as Total brand I am sure I can. Shame the manitenance book does not say mineral or synthetic, left to the Owner's manual to give this info.

Temp here can be 35C+ in summer but also -10C (lowest 10yrs ago was -18C for 3 days) for a few weeks in winter. So needs to cover both.

I think the Total 9000 5W/40 synthetic is looking good as it should stay in grade despite temperature variations.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just been reading up on oils and additives and found the following which may be of interest, all have info on how oils work.
From Bobistheoilguy http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1625650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gives a very good explanation of how and why oils work, also could have the mystery chemist from Silkolene's name in it ?
Oil specs and what they mean http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting bit about ester in oils http://www.pcs-instruments.com/pdf/ehl/ ... Papers.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; very technical so I just scanned for ester, shows how little is needed.

Interesting bit in Bob link about what 10W40 etc really mean as it seems they all even out to a middle grade when hot.

Based on looking up Esters in oils I am beginning to think that Synthetics are not all that syntehtic, you need to be careful as to how synthetic they are. Seems a truly synthetic oil is a bit specalised and very expensive.
Anyone have any info on which oils are which, mineral and semi-synthetic are simple to understand. Sounds like there are varying levels of synthetic oils brom only just to extremely synthetic. Often hard to get past the advertising to what they really contain.

I am now tending towards a 10W40 Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic based on the 'magnetic' bit being added esters. Seems you only need a small amount so sounding good at the moment.
From the sound of it it is the ester component that helps protect.