Immobiliser on 1999 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maccaj

Immobiliser on 1999 Xantia

Post by maccaj »

Hi, hope you can help.

I am running a '99 Xantia which up until today was problem free. Came out this morning to go to work and the orange immobiliser light on dashboard has started flashing and beeping and vehicle wont start. It turns over fine and everything else including the remote locking works but I cannot get the immobiliser to switch off and therefore let me drive it.

Any help/ideas or clues are greatly appreciated, unfortunately a trip to a main dealer at this time of the year is out of the question until all else fails. #-o
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Immobiliser on 1999 Xantia

Post by DickieG »

I take it you don't have a spare key you can try? The usual fault is a problem with the immobiliser aerial which is in effect the ring that sits around the ignition lock.

Whereabouts are you there maybe someone nearby with a Lexia who can help you.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
maccaj

Post by maccaj »

Thanks for the reply, the spare key does exactly the same so dont think its a problem with the keys.

Based in Whiston near Liverpool
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Try opening and closing all the doors, boot and bonnet, lock them up and unlock them, sometimes it works. Also try waving the key close to the steering lock before inserting it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If both keys fail then it points, as DickieG says, to the aerial or to another problem. It's rarely the transponder itself and a Lexia session may be of little help. Do check the aerial is properly placed as a first job in diagnosing this.

A known problem on the Xantia is break in the wiring loom that runs beneath the radiator across the front of the engine bay. This carries communications lines between the transponder and engine ECU and has been the cause of several similar incidents with similar symptoms. Unfortunately I've not identified which wires are responsible...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
maccaj

Post by maccaj »

Thanks for that, will have a look in morning at both.

Is it easy/simple/cheap or even worth replacing the aerial ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

maccaj wrote: Is it easy/simple/cheap or even worth replacing the aerial ?
It's easy enough to get to, in fact you can see the end of it by looking at the end of the ignition switch. What looks like a rubber ring around it, between it and the plastic cowls is in fact the end of the aerial. To get at it completely it is necessary to slip off the cowls. That;s two screws underneath, one to the left (as you look at it) and then one at the back. Then prise off the top half from the bottom half but leaving the bottom half in place. You will then see a single screw holding the bottom half on the right-hand side, remove this screw and the bottom half will then come off.

The aerial in its entirety can then be seen sitting snugly around the ignition switch barrel. Check it's correctly in position and that it's connector is secure. It may have slipped back and away from the end of the barrel and out of range. Try moving it forward along the barrel and see if the light now goes out on a start attempt.

The aerial 'reads' and RFID chip inside the fob end of the key and needs to be in quite close proximity to it.

Did the spare key ever work?

Not sure how much new ones are. I don't believe they're cheap but a scrapper might provide. they're not coded to the transponder and can be replaced at will.

To prove fully if the aerial is at fault you need a Lexia to go through the key programming procedure. You also need the confidential code (a four character originally supplied with the car on a 'credit card' with a scratch panel on it) to program keys. If you don't have this code you need to get the code from a dealer who will need to see the V5C and proof of ownership before releasing it for a small fee.

If the keys can be programmed then the aerial is OK.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Maccj,

I'm sure i have a couple of areials in the garage. Send me a PM with your details and I'll send them down in the post.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
maccaj

Post by maccaj »

Update.

After a couple of very cold and wet days in/under/over/everywhere on this damn car I gave up and had a garage have a look at it, the result is a PIN has corroded and broken off the ECU. Have spoken to a few people and they suggest getting a donor ECU and get it reprogrammed to the car. However this is likely to cost me about £200 to do (always comes at a great time of year) and its money I dont have right now.

Therefore I am thinking is there any easier way of either replacing the pin or bridgeing the connection to fool it into thinking all is well?

As always any help is appreciated.

Also thanks to Kennyw for the offer of the aerials.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've seen pins corroded off an ECU connector just once in the past. The cause was reckoned to be a leaky coolant temperature sensor wicking coolant all the way up the wire to the ECU!!! So, it'll be worth checking the coolant temperate sensor is not leaky...

I'm not sure how/if a replacement second-hand ECU can be reprogrammed to your car. I believe a brand-new 'virgin' one can be.

It might be possible to build a new pin by getting hold of another ECU with a similar connector and 'borrowing' a pin from that. You'd need to be pretty handy with electronics to do it well enough to be reliable and it's not a job a garage would take on. Other option is to speak to one of the ECU repair mobs such as this one
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Is this a 2.o HDi 90 or 110bhp?? I have a matched set of Body computer, ECU pickup, PLIP key and ECU out of a 1998 HDi 110 car... Id be sure but NOT certain that fitting the body computer, pickup and ECU the set should work...

I THINK Ive also got a matched Set for a D Turbo (XUD) engine 1998 onwards - Pickup, ECU, PLIP keys, but cannot remember if theres a body computer. Id have to 100% check.

I also have a Lexia :) :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If you have a matched ECU,CPH & key then it should all work straight off without any programming. Do you have the details of the car they came out of as you will need the transponder code for any future key programming.