What she worth

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scoles

What she worth

Post by scoles »

Hi all, bought an A4 TDI as it was going extremley cheap....but now i dont know wether to sell the A4 or the Xantia.

Silver Xantia 2.0 HDi Forte X reg with 90k recent cambelt and tesioner along with head gasket. due to timing belt snap but no internal damage.
four brand new tires, new exhaust, new power steering pipe.
new wheel bearings front ABS reluctor rings. New rear discs and pads.

1 years MOT 4 months Tax.

The car itself is in very good condition no rust and runs very well....

just unsure what to advertise it at?

Cheers
Stuart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The best guide you can get is to see what they are selling for on ebay, they are the 'real world' prices. You should be able to find something similar if not exactly the same.

Peter
scoles

Post by scoles »

i have been having a look around, ,y main concern is the thing not selling as there aren't very much of them about.

probably advertise it for £600 or there abouts and see if there is any takers.

does that sound reasonable.

Stuart
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Sell the Audi, you will regret after experiancing the Citroen Ride, nothing else is like it.

Dont get me wrong, I admire Audi's, but that ride... ooohhhhh so hard and bumpy.

Id thought you'd sell the Audi easyer too..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
imperial21

Post by imperial21 »

I would say £600 is cheap, your car seems to have low mileage for the year and an hdi, I paid more than that for my car and yours sounds better :D .
Is yours the 110BHP model ?

Personaly i think it sounds more like £800 +
obviously i have nt seen it and i dont know what area you are in.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
scoles

Post by scoles »

I do like the ride in the citroen but if i am really honest the street cred for a 23 yr old is not good.... :oops:

the car would be used to tow my motocross bike up and down track roads so would be scared if i broke the citroen suspension as its soo complicated.

I have enjoyed the car now had its just over a year and done around 23k in it with no problem other than few bits and bobs.

mines the 110bhp model, the car just needs a good wash body wise its really good and the interior has not a mark on it. everything works well.

My problem is i dont know how many people are looking for a xantia to be honest. My other hald says to scrap it but that won't be happeing.

I would rahter break it if there was interest in the parts.

cheers
Stuart
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

scoles wrote:I do like the ride in the Citroën but if i am really honest the street cred for a 23 yr old is not good.... :oops:

the car would be used to tow my motocross bike up and down track roads so would be scared if i broke the Citroën suspension as its soo complicated.

I have enjoyed the car now had its just over a year and done around 23k in it with no problem other than few bits and bobs.

mines the 110bhp model, the car just needs a good wash body wise its really good and the interior has not a mark on it. everything works well.

My problem is i dont know how many people are looking for a Xantia to be honest. My other hald says to scrap it but that won't be happeing.

cheers
Stuart
There's more to life than street cred. :lol: I'm happy in the knowledge I'm more comfortable than my friends in their tin boxes (and in the case of the Activa - having much more fun!) On the flip side I drive a Coupé and still have none! How fickle these things can be!

The Citroen suspension system is NOT complicated, it makes me laugh when people say they are scared of it. It really is simple, its just dismissed because its different. What steel sprung car can you perform a suspension overhaul on for the cost of 6 spheres?

To you, the Xantia is a known quantity. You know the history and with a recent new cambelt and HG and everything else on your list, with regular servicing should give you many trouble free years. You say the A4 was cheap, it was probably cheap for a reason!

I've driven many A4s as I thought I might like one before my first Xantia (HDi as it happens) once I'd driven a Xantia though, the A4 idea went straight out the window. No contest IMO.

Seriously, don't scrap it - that would be criminal and a complete waste.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The suspension was designed for rough roads!!

As for scrap - get your head read! I saved a HDi exclusive from a fellow FCF member as he was going to scrap (If he couldn't get the car fixed) for the case of a cam belt, water pump and bottom pully!!

Ive now done 5k in it! Id hold out and sell if you have to, the 110bhp is much more desireable as they are better on fuel, and better performance... Be sure shes a 110bhp, the two air pipes to the right of the engine are the give away.

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
scoles

Post by scoles »

hmmm some interesting points there..... I managed to get the A4 for a steal it was the other halfs dads.

he had since it was a few years old, but he got a company car and had no need for it so gave him £1k for it... 51 plate 130tdi sport with 135k on it.

May advertise the audi and see if i can punt it on.

i must admit i do have a soft spot for the xantia mainly due to all the repairs i have carried out to have it running spot on.

one other thing how often do the small plastic connections break on the top of the fuel filter housing. thats me on my third lid in a year. :(

Stuart
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Fuel Filter: NEVER if your carefull!!

I undo the fuel hoses first, then use a 21mm socket on a ratchet and undo them that way!

I do a few though for customer service's, and haven't broke one yet...

Press in the coloured part, on the wide side, and pull carefully while its pressed, its supposed to be a squeeze and pull idea.

paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
scoles

Post by scoles »

mines have broken whilst driving.... i usually use the procedure you said with teh clips and the socket.

the pipes are not strained neither very strange... had to change my filter pot as well due to the small drain tap leaking that when i also noticed that the lid had started weaping also.

Stuart
imperial21

Post by imperial21 »

I am no Audi fan but that was very cheap ! i see you problem :D
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

No contest.

Xantia's have a limited appeal, so in all probability you won't get much for it and it may take a while to sell. The Audi will sell itself.

As to the image, wouldn't you rather lead than follow?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't worry about image, drive something you like. After 14 years of XMs I bought a BMW, kept it for about three months - didn't like it, bought a 406 Hdi, much nicer, but I drove the XM today - nicer still.

Peter
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Toby_HDi wrote:
scoles wrote:I do like the ride in the Citroën but if i am really honest the street cred for a 23 yr old is not good.... :oops:

the car would be used to tow my motocross bike up and down track roads so would be scared if i broke the Citroën suspension as its soo complicated.

My problem is i dont know how many people are looking for a Xantia to be honest. My other hald says to scrap it but that won't be happeing.

cheers
Stuart
There's more to life than street cred. :lol: I'm happy in the knowledge I'm more comfortable than my friends in their tin boxes (and in the case of the Activa - having much more fun!) On the flip side I drive a Coupé and still have none! How fickle these things can be!

The Citroën suspension system is NOT complicated, it makes me laugh when people say they are scared of it. It really is simple, its just dismissed because its different. What steel sprung car can you perform a suspension overhaul on for the cost of 6 spheres?

To you, the Xantia is a known quantity. You know the history and with a recent new cambelt and HG and everything else on your list, with regular servicing should give you many trouble free years. You say the A4 was cheap, it was probably cheap for a reason!

I've driven many A4s as I thought I might like one before my first Xantia (HDi as it happens) once I'd driven a Xantia though, the A4 idea went straight out the window. No contest IMO.

Seriously, don't scrap it - that would be criminal and a complete waste.
Also you can lower it, when set on the low setting with the steering turned to one side, it can have a lot of street cred,8-) with the rear tyres tucked in the arches, and the small clearance between the front tyres, and the front wings. 8-)

When the need to drive off arises, then the car will rise to the ocasion. :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.