calibrating the fuel pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza

calibrating the fuel pump?

Post by lazza »

HI

I have received much help with my fuel pump problem, so thanks to everyone.

I think that I will be biting the bullet and changing the seals on my fuel pump myself! So I have to wait for lots of free time to make sure it's done properly.

I spoke to a Bosch garage here in southern Spain and they quoted €600 to do the whole job from start to finish. Sounds about right if I bottle out of doing it myself. The thing is they said that they have a machine to calibrate the pump after the repair.

I dont want to mess this up, so is it worth getting my fuel pump (once i´ve replaced the seals) checked before putting it back on the car? What is calibrating? Is it necessary?

thanks
Larry

(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Larry

Basically its setting up the maximum fuel delivery under boost and non boost conditions and to comply with emission regulations. They may possibly check the auto advance charactristics as well, Im sure someone will know. If you can repair the pump yourself, calibrarion is not strictly necessary unles you are having problems with smoke or poor performance, but if you can afford it, its probably worth having done. They do though tend to set them a bit on the lean side, which could reduce your power output.
lazza

Post by lazza »

HI Peter

thanks for your reply.

One other thing is that a friend here said it's easy doing the timing for the Citroens and i dont need to bother marking up the original pump position and putting in the locking bolts, that we can do it all after the refit. Does this sound sensible, or would you still recommend returning it to the original position?

many thanks
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timing on any XUD is very critical... I'd tend not to be in agreement with your friend.

Personally Larry, I'd mark very carefully and put it back exactly how it was. At least you begin from a known starting point.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza

Post by lazza »

Ok thanks, i will take the advise. I dont plan to do it for a couple of weeks.. hopefully it will keep running until then!

When I do get down to it... if you dont mind I'll be in touch to make sure I do this properly,

cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lazza wrote: When I do get down to it... if you dont mind I'll be in touch to make sure I do this properly
Please do Larry, that's the whole purpose of these forums :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

citrojim wrote:Timing on any XUD is very critical... I'd tend not to be in agreement with your friend.

Personally Larry, I'd mark very carefully and put it back exactly how it was. At least you begin from a known starting point.
As per jim, timing is critical on any old style diesel engine whether it be the belt or the pump. Peter and Jim know their stuff when it comes to the XUD engines.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Another reason for putting the locking bolts in, is that it allows you to remove the pump without disturbing the cam belt.