Aux belt routing to bypass A/C compressor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Aux belt routing to bypass A/C compressor

Post by MikeT »

It's not something I approve you do but I've seen people asking if it's possible to bypass the A/C compressor by fitting a shorter belt and the consensus seems to be that it can't be done, or if it can, it shouldn't be so I'm posting this picture in case anyone wants to see how it can be routed and to dispell any myths of it being impossible.

I recently bought this car knowing the A/C was not working but didn't realise why until I saw this....

Be aware that on every startup from cold, it squeals like a banshee for the first few minutes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is an incredibly valuable picture Mike, thanks for posting it up as I'm sure it'll come in handy one day.

When you take it off, will you please measure it and see how long it is.

I expect it squeals because it is very, very tight. I once tried to do exactly what you have tehre but the belt, from a non-AC 405, was so tight I did not care to risk it. If it were a tad longer..

How much adjustment, or not as the case may be, is on the eccentric tensioner?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Yes, I'll take the belt measurement and add it to this thread later. As you can probably see from the picture, there are "skid marks" on the manual tensioner and the tension position shows the locking nut at 8 o'clock and the square hole at 2 o'clock which, if memory serves me right, is probably the slackest it can go with the belt tension on that side. I can't tell if the belt is incredibly tight or not but later removal should give a clue :lol: More details to follow...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:When you take it off, will you please measure it and see how long it is.
Sorry it's been so long coming - it's stamped 1153 and sure enough, it's 1.153m in circumference.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think that tensioner will adjust up quite a bit more, but i dont think its quite at its slackist, to be right off on the adjustment the square hole should be around the 3 oclock, so it is directly opposite were the belt contacts the tensioner pully
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I should have determined the tension when I had the chance but I forgot :oops: You are correct Malcolm, the tensioner released a bit more and the belt easily came off. I recall it would squeal on startup so probably needed a little more tension for quiet starting.