C5 Outside Temperature Sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andrewhall
My Cars:

C5 Outside Temperature Sensor

Post by andrewhall »

Dear All
I have a 2002 C5 SX HDI. After having the car for 6 weeks and 3000 miles with no problems, the outside temperature reading is not functioning correctly - It is reading =C.
Does anyone know where the sensor is so that I can check connections/clean it e.t.c.
Does anyone know when the "Book of Lies" (Haynes) is due out also.
Many Thanks
Andrew
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I don't know about the C5 model, but just about every other PSA car has it's outside air temperature sensor in the bottom of the passenger side door mirror. Have a look, and if there's a "button" about 8mm across, in the bottom of the mirror housing, then that is it. If it's the same sensor as other PSA models, it's £18 for a new one, and a battle with the mirror to change it. Usually the wiring plug is inside the door, so it's a doortrim off job, but if you're not overly concerned about perfection, you can just cut the old one off at it's cable, and solder the cable on the new one.
johnny
My Cars:

Post by johnny »

A friend of mine has a C5 and he has recently replaced said sensor.
Yes it is located in the passenger door mirror, he also had problems fitting the new sensor.
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Got mine replaced under warranty - was reading about 30C too high!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the new sensor doesent come with a plug/connector on it so you need to just solder the wires on.
brynteg

Post by brynteg »

great forum guys and loads of useful info. My temperature sensor has also packed up. I have found it (with your help) but just cannot figure out how to get at it.Can some kind soul help.
thanks
Neil
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

If the C5 is anythoing like a Xantia, you will have to attack the sensor from inside the car. Remove dore trim to get to the mirror and sensor.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The temp. sensor is located at the base of the passenger side door mirror. You can see it as a small black thing that looks a bit like an LED. To change it, you first have to remove the mirror glass, a nerve racking task in itself! With this out of the way, you then VERY CAREFULLY prise the tangs open that hold the coloured plastic back onto the mirror assembly. They are incredibly easy to break, I warmed mine up with a hairdryer to make them a bit more flexible. With the back removed, its easy to get at the sensor itself, and rather than chase the wires back into the door, I snipped mine off, and soldered the new ones on, sealing the joint with some small diameter heat shrink tubing. It's been OK for over a year now [;)]
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have replaced several in XMs using 'Sir Clive's' method succesfully. These sensors seem to have a very short life, the only one that worked when I bought the car was on a three year old one.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Strange - the outside temp sensors on both my XM's give me no trouble at all, one is a'93 TD12 and the other a '98 2.5TD Break.
But getting the mirror glass out is fun!
//NiSk
robsons

Post by robsons »

I was going to move the sensor to the inlet manifold to tell me what temp the inlet charge is after the turbo - Far more useful than outside temp (after all you can always open the window!)
brynteg

Post by brynteg »

thanks for the replies especially yours Sir Clive, I will give it a go at the weekend.
robsons, I think the aircon uses the outside temp. for its settings. May be best to leave the sensor where it is!
Neil
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

That of course is the main problem, the climate control needs to know what the outside temperature is in order to operate correctly. As my sensor imagined it was 118 degrees outside when it was really -3, I kept getting blasts of air from the face vents instead of the screen vents....not helpful at all!
robsons

Post by robsons »

Ah - I have an Activa and no A/C - should stop interfering really ;?)