xantia regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dazlad
My Cars:

xantia regulator

Post by dazlad »

hi i replaced the regulator behind the accumulator and everything worked fine then i discovered that i had a leak from the 12mm bleed screw so i removed this and refitted the rubber o-ring.
Now the stop light stays on(not reaching enough pressure)do you think that i may have lost the ball bearing that lives behind the screw or could there be another reason [?]
[V]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That's a very likely scenario.
The rubber O-ring only prevents leaks when the valve is open (screw released) so should not really have any importance during normal run.
The ball bearing is a 7mm dia steel ball. Got to be exactly 7mm dia.
Bet your local bike shop would have one - or even your local Citroen dealer.
Never torque the release screw, only nip it up with sensible force on your ring spanner.
Have an oil pan or similar under the regulator, then unscrew to check you have the ball there. It may stick - using a needle will release it.
2 balls in will make the screw protrude too much.
dazlad
My Cars:

Post by dazlad »

thanks for the quick answer i will try tomorrow and let you know how i get on[:D]
dazlad
My Cars:

Post by dazlad »

hi what would happen if the screw was tightened too much because i did it up tight to stop the leak [V]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the ball will simply be pushed hard on to its seat and seal. The only problem is that the ball may be distorted and never seal again in which case another 7mm ball should cure the problem. If it doesn't take the screw out, fit the ball in the hole and hold it there with a dab of grease and strike it smartly using a brass punch. This should re-seat the ball. Use a steel punch and you risk flattening the ball again.
You will probably have to remove the regulator to do this job in order to get sufficient access.
jeremy
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

if the ball bearing is lost and the "bleed screw" is over tightened the screw seat normally splits.this is not a true bleed screw.
when the suspension needs to be bled,the lever in the car needs to be at the highest position,engine running at idle,undo the "bleed screw" 1/4 turn,leave about 3 minutes and then tighten(NIP ONLY) the bleed screw.then lower the lever to its normal position,the suspension is now bled correctly!!.i have seen many DIYers take ouy the bleed screw all the way and loose the ball bearing.[:)]
dazlad
My Cars:

Post by dazlad »

thanks for the replies and i hope i heve not split the screw seat[:I]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">i have seen many DIYers take ouy the bleed screw all the way and loose the ball bearing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You are supposed to <b>loose</b> it - <b>losing</b> it is what you should avoid.[}:)]
dazlad
My Cars:

Post by dazlad »

found the ball bearing on the floor/ put it back and hey presto everything works fine. thanks to you all , i wish i had found this site last monday it would have saved me a weeks work but as they say "<font color="red">you live and learn</font id="red">" and i wont forget this one in a hurry
merry christmas to you all[:D]