GS Filler neck etc

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Wollop

GS Filler neck etc

Post by Wollop »

Next question
Filling the car up this afternoon I managed to soak Tesco's carpark and my feet in petrol. This is the first time I have put a significant (20 litres) of fuel in the car. I've not spent any time on the filler pipe etc so only have myself to blame.

So...

Are there supposed to be hose clips on the rubber pipe?
Is the rubber pipe or the plastic filler neck likely to be the culprit? Or do I assume both? They are far from cheap...

To be honest I haven't had a good poke around down there , its cold, the car is needed tomorrow morning and most of the fuel did go into the tank!
Stonehopper

Re: GS Filler neck etc

Post by Stonehopper »

Ouch! There should be clips, but there's a possibility the pipe is split or perished at some point. Hard to get at.
Derek
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Well, the rubber pipe is wet with fuel at both ends and has no clips. It is also very floppy so it may well have perished or split. I plan to replace it, with clips, and see how we get on. If there is still a leak when filling the plastic neck will need replacing which doesn't look like too much fun. Any tips?

More anon.
Stonehopper

Post by Stonehopper »

None I'm afraid, never having delved in that area. I do get the impression that access may be needed through the inner wing which would need cutting an inspection panel.
I hope I may be corrected.
Derek
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Yes, looking at the internet I see that some Gs have an access panel and some don't. Ours doesn't.

I'll see how we get on however I wonder if there is some sort of 'sleeving' that could be used inside the old pipe.
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Internet. tells me that I can gain access by removing the rear light. I'll have a look.
Wollop

Post by Wollop »

Quick update. Access to the filler pipe and breather pipe can indeed be found by removing the rear light cluster (GS saloon). This certainly helps with refitting the breather. Getting the filler cap to fit 100% flat in the wing afterwards is a bit of a challenge.

A word of caution for welders. Apart from being split our old filler pipe had been melted. I think this happened when someone did some welding on the nearby sub frame mounting. They were lucky!
Stonehopper

Post by Stonehopper »

Well done that man! Good to know.
Derek