Rotten rear subframe mount

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Rotten rear subframe mount

Post by red_dwarfers » 20 Oct 2012, 22:12

Today I was presented with this.

It's supposed to be a front, rear subframe mount. I think the only properly rotten part is the inner wing bit, but I do want to have a poke around once I've got it supported on the body rather than the subframe just in case.

I'm after suggestions really of what other people would do about the mount itself, I've got plans sorted for the floor and inner wing.
Last edited by red_dwarfers on 20 Oct 2012, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Re: Rotten rear subframe mount

Post by DickieG » 20 Oct 2012, 22:14

red_dwarfers wrote:I'm after suggestions really of what other people would do :lol:

Sorry Kev but personally I'd get rid of the car, I don't do rust!

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 20 Oct 2012, 22:16

DickieG wrote:
red_dwarfers wrote:I'm after suggestions really of what other people would do :lol:

Sorry Kev but personally I'd get rid of the car, I don't do rust!

You beat me to the standard reply from another place on the internet of "gallon of petrol and a box of Swan Vestas"..

The above is exactly why the bits from my brother's G ended up in powering a 2CV..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 20 Oct 2012, 22:18

Kev, how does the other side look? If that's not too bad or still basically there you should be able to create mirror-image templates from it to remake the slightly frilly side :)

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 20 Oct 2012, 22:20

DickieG wrote:Sorry Kev but personally I'd get rid of the car, I don't do rust!

Damn, I'd better take that welder I bought you for Christmas back :lol:

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 20 Oct 2012, 22:34

CitroJim wrote:Kev, how does the other side look? If that's not too bad or still basically there you should be able to create mirror-image templates from it to remake the slightly frilly side :)

The other side is good but as it's good I can't see the mount as it's covered by the inner wing. I've just been out again to see if I can work out how it was originally done but it's going to require a bit more mulling over and studying of the Citroen bodywork manuals.

My only guess so far is that that top bit with the lipped circle in the middle should bend down and run alongside the inner wing and maybe the bottom bit does the same and there should then be a spot weld keeping everything together.

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 20 Oct 2012, 23:02

Ah, this photo might explain what I meant a bit clearer there about not being about to see the mount Jim, you can see the crusty inner wing coming down before I encouraged it off.

citronut

Post by citronut » 21 Oct 2012, 08:09

next thing i would be doing Kev is drop the sub frame down and get it out of the way,

it certainly looks like there is a lot more welding than originally thought,
but with loads of PERCY WHAT SIT you will see light at the end of the tunnel,

hope you have the staying power Kev,

as you say there should be return lips on the edges of the cross box section so it can be welded to the drop of the inner wing,
who ever welded that patch on the underside of the floor, looks like they really enjoyed them selfs welding upwards :evil: :shock: :roll: :wink:

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG » 21 Oct 2012, 09:19

citronut wrote:who ever welded that patch on the underside of the floor, looks like they really enjoyed them selfs welding upwards

It was a pigeon pooing whilst laying on his back :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 21 Oct 2012, 09:25

DickieG wrote:
citronut wrote:who ever welded that patch on the underside of the floor, looks like they really enjoyed them selfs welding upwards

It was a pigeon pooing whilst laying on his back :lol:

:rofl:

citronut

Post by citronut » 21 Oct 2012, 18:06

now i was trying to be diplomatic for a change :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink:

maybe its a touch of ARKI THE NOOOO,

Kev if the actual mount is shot i have a rear sub frame buried in the garden somewhere, might have the mountings still on it

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 07 Nov 2012, 23:27

Right, some progress!

The mount on the subframe is good so it's only the body side that I need worry about. The subframe has been dropped slightly, enough so the floor can be straightened out. As welding is much easier from the top we have a solution which involves welding from the top!
I've cut out the upper bit out so I can plug weld this new section to the bottom bit, the new bit then wraps up over the floor to a couple more plug welds and no doubt a bead of weld around the outside. The big section will be attached to the new inner wing with a few plug welds. It's also high enough to attach to the existing wing so I'll plug weld it to that aswell. I still need to drill the holes for that.

Once that, the new floor and inner wing sections are welded in, I'll reweld a new piece on the top of the mount.

Progress is slow but steady!

citronut

Post by citronut » 08 Nov 2012, 09:06

and i thought that was a book end Kev :-D :lol: :wink:

the title of that book is about right thing aint going to be as they used to be but far far better,

jolly good effort keep it up, can you post picy's once that book end is installed as it will make your description as clear as mud :lol: :wink:

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 08 Nov 2012, 19:31

How did you know Malcolm? Here it is resting in place just to make sure it fits.

Cheers! I shall make sure I do take photos when it's welded in properly.

citronut

Post by citronut » 09 Nov 2012, 09:43

i hope that hayneass BOL is just used as a door stop/kneeling pad and you dont open it, or it could/will send you right up the wrong tree'z