How to... Retrofit 407 Coupé Front Parking Sensors

Guides on how to approach the more common problems experienced by our members.
Please don't post in this forum but link to the threads here where necessary.
Anyone wishing to create a howto please submit to a mod or admin for inclusion here. Subject to being edited.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DHallworth
Donor 2016
My Cars:

How to... Retrofit 407 Coupé Front Parking Sensors

Post by DHallworth » 06 Oct 2016, 23:16

Parking Sensor Retrofit

Parts Required:

1 x 7414LY - Sensor Brackets (Available from Citroen & Peugeot)

1 x 7414LZ - Sensor Brackets (Available from Citroen & Peugeot)

6 x 6590F6 - Parking Sensors
1 x 6568VN - Wiring Loom

(I bought the sensors complete with the loom from someone breaking a car on eBay)

Step 1 - Remove the front bumper, instructions are easily available.

Step 2 - Remove the old wiring loom that only connects to the foglights.

Step 3 - Familiarise yourself with where the sensors will be located. You can fit the new wiring loom and connect it to each foglight to assist in this step. You can see the mark for the front facing sensors in my diagram below, there’s one for each of the 4 front facing sensors.

Step 4 - Trial fit the parking sensor brackets so that you know how they fit before you glue them into place.

Step 5 - Mark out the middle spot of each location for the parking sensors, this needs to be exact as the sensor won’t sit right if you don’t drill the hole perfectly centred. The blanks on my bumper were 30mm across so I measured 15mm centres from the edges and the top and bottom. I used an 18mm drill bit and then tidied the inside of the hole with a sharp knife. The 2 sensors on the very edge of the bumper do not have marks for them. You need to work out where they should sit. I studied pictures of cars online to determine where they should be. Drilling these ones are a bit more fiddly as the brackets have an awkward shape.

Outside sensor:

Step 6 - Place the brackets where they should be (Each bracket is number 1 - 4 and the marks on the bumper are numbered 1 - 4) and trial fit a sensor into the hole to make sure they’re the right size.

Step 7 - Using Sikaflex or something similar, glue the 4 forward facing sensor mounting points to the bumper and leave the glue to set. Obviously the time taken will vary depending on what type of glue you’ve used. The two mountings for the side sensors clip into the bumper using locating tabs, these don’t need to be glued.

Step 8 - Fix the sensors into the brackets and attach the wiring loom to the sensors.

Step 9 - Reattach the front bumper to the car and connect up the extra plug in the new wiring loom for the front parking sensors.

Step 10 - You will need access to Peugeot Planet or Diagbox for this. You need to enable the parking sensors on the parking assistance ECU. If the car doesn’t have them fitted the default setting is “Absent”, this needs changing to “Present”. If you live near Glasgow I’m happy to help with this step.

Obviously you can skip all of these steps and just buy a bumper complete with sensors! :lol:

I’ve got a display on the screen in the centre that shows Green, Amber and Red lines depending how close you are to the obstacle, this doesn’t happen on the front. I think it might be because one of my sensors is knackered but I’ve not had time to check it today.

Any questions, just ask :)

David.
0 x
'88 CX GTi Turbo 2 :-D
'91 XM V6 24v Manual
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'10 407 Coupé 3.0 HDi

Sloppysod
Donor 2016
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: How to... Retrofit 407 Coupé Front Parking Sensors

Post by Sloppysod » 16 Nov 2016, 21:13

Hi David, that is a good description, thanks for the article.

However, I done the same to my Citroen C5, X7, earlier this year and, if Peugeots are the same then if a sensor is faulty it knocks the wholes system out.
To get the display to work, if I remember, I had to tell the "Car" and the "Radio" it has front sensors, not sure but possibly the display as well. Oh there was something about what gearbox you have , manual or automatic.

I actually fitted a Peugeot ECU to my C5 first (4 front sensors) but it I had a fault where the rear right hand sensor was super sensitive.
0 x
Stu

MacSlavko
My Cars: Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi

Post by MacSlavko » 17 Aug 2017, 23:53

Great tutorial for DIY, DHallworth! And great photos too!
I'm thinking of installing these on my P407 saloon too...

I miss one important thing in step 9 though; when you put it all together, where did you attach the new wiring to? I mean: how did you connect the new sensors to the parking ECU? Is there already a harness where you just plug in new wiring loom? Or a separate, front parking ECU? What about the cables and the jacks - do they come with sensors, or you bought them separatelly?

Thanks!!
0 x

Sloppysod
Donor 2016
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod » 19 Aug 2017, 16:52

MacSlavko wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 23:53
......................... where did you attach the new wiring to? I mean: how did you connect the new sensors to the parking ECU? Is there already a harness where you just plug in new wiring loom? Or a separate, front parking ECU? .....................

Mac, If it was the same as the C5, you should already have the wiring loom terminating behind the front bumper and the standard 'bumper' loom will connect straight into this. However, for the Citroen (I would imaging that Peugeot are the same) you have a number of different parking sensor ECU's, 'Rear only', 'Front & Rear', 'Rear with camera' and 'Rear with camera with Front' and then as I mentioned in my previous post you will then have to 'tell' the 'car' via the Lexia or Diagbox what you have fitted.
Good luck.
0 x
Stu

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td coming soon
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » 19 Aug 2017, 16:58

I took the easy way, they were already fitted. You do need them too, as it has a very long unseeable snoot!
0 x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Berlingo 1.9d - beryl to be sold
Xantia 1.9td - gabriel coming soon
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Honda Civic type r
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Peugeot 205 gti undergoing restoration
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi

DHallworth
Donor 2016
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth » Yesterday, 23:57

As stated above, there was a plug behind my front bumper with a blank on it. I took this off and connected the sensors to it. The sensor loom is integral to the foglight loom.

Davie, you're lucky, the earlier GT spec cars had EVERYTHING on them as standard, on the 3.0 HDI they renamed the spec to Sport and made everything optional! I've not got the JBL stereo, cornering Xenons etc.

David.
0 x
'88 CX GTi Turbo 2 :-D
'91 XM V6 24v Manual
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'10 407 Coupé 3.0 HDi

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td coming soon
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » Today, 03:45

My one is an se according to the plate on the drivers door jamb David. It has everything on it, I don't know what the standard spec is for it. The front parking sensors are very helpful though. There's a very long invisible nose ahead if you!
0 x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Berlingo 1.9d - beryl to be sold
Xantia 1.9td - gabriel coming soon
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Honda Civic type r
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Peugeot 205 gti undergoing restoration
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi