Pleiades Sphere Removal Tool Group Buy

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Pleiades Sphere Removal Tool Group Buy

Post by Chris570 »

Speaking to Martin today it is possible that he will make a batch of these legendary tools up but will need a minimum of 10 to make it viable.

I'm sure you all know about them, those that have them wouldn't be without them and if you've a hydractive Xantia you'll really need one for those awkward spheres...

They will sell for about £35 a piece which given that they are virtually indestructible (I should know, I've yet to break Jim's)

1.Chris570
2.HydroCobra
3.Activa_Mike
4.CitroenXM
5.CitroenCrazy
6.DHallworth
7.Stevelp
Please add your name to the list and once we get 10 (or more) I'll contact you via PM and arrange the rest.

This has taken a lot of persuasion so hopefully it'll all come good :)
Last edited by Chris570 on 27 Mar 2012, 12:41, edited 5 times in total.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Pleiades Sphere Removal Tool Group Buy

Post by Citroenmad »

Are they going to be big enough for C5 spheres?

As the one I have is not.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Chris570 wrote:Speaking to Martin today it is possible that he will make a batch of these legendary tools up but will need a minimum of 10 to make it viable.

I'm sure you all know about them, those that have them wouldn't be without them and if you've a hydractive Xantia you'll really need one for those awkward spheres...

They will sell for about £35 a piece which given that they are virtually indestructible (I should know, I've yet to break Jim's)

1.Chris570
2.HydroCobra

Please add your name to the list and once we get 10 (or more) I'll contact you via PM and arrange the rest.

This has taken a lot of persuasion so hopefully it'll all come good :)

I'll have one please. I don't have a use for it right at this very moment, but I suspect I've bought a half share in an Activa recently , and am still on the lookout for a decent HDi 110 or a MOT'd GSA..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: they are virtually indestructible (I should know, I've yet to break Jim's)
Oh, so shearing off the bolt doesn't count then Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The bolt will break under heavy use as mine has now consumed two but you're right Chris... Very sturdy...

They won't fit C5 saucers as they are considerably bigger...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I fixed it didn't I ;) anyway stop splitting hairs :P the bolt is a very easy to replace and its a common one used on citroens

I've added you to the list Mike.

I've been hoping to persuade Martin for about 2 years now (as I know others have as well) so if you do know of anyone else send em over here :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I am tempted; tell Martin I may use it to knock the snot out of Peter Raffles however...

Can you flesh out the topic with a couple of good pictures showing the tool in application?
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

what you choose to do with it and all that ;)

I'll have to ask Mr Jim if he will oblige as I don't own the tool (yet) they are chuffing strong though, as anyone who has used one will attest to :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Chris570 wrote:what you choose to do with it and all that ;)
Best we don't give ideas to the Robert Mapplethorpe fan club...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

i'm not gonna be sorting out a group buy on those pictures, i'll leave that to your good self ;)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is the best I can do right now...

A Pleiades tool about to go into battle armed with a lump hammer against a very recalcitrant Activa balancing sphere...

The car has been removed for clarity...

The sphere was badly rusted to its bracket...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Not wanting to subvert this thread but a sphere tool is available on ebay for somewhat less that half the price mentioned above, available in both standard and C5 sizes. Looks robust enough to me too.
I have no connection with the seller, commercial or otherwise and don't wish to knock Plaides either but the difference in price is substantial so has to be worth mentioning.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

do you mean this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 19cd3850ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so i had one of those once and it simply wasn't strong enough to grip those reallly tight spheres, it only "gripped" a very small portion of the sphere whereas this one clamps the whole thing. Those that have used and compared them will agree that the extra money is warranted. Mine simply distorted the ring when the bolt was done right up (which i needed to do because otherwise it just slipped). Same seller as well. Maybe i had one with a bad bath of metal but i certainly wouldnt consider nor suggest to anyone else that this was a value for money purchase, you get what you pay for and this one certainly shows it when the going gets tough.

A good point though to raise it as a comparison as its a free market, to those that want to give the £15 one a go by all means do so. There is a reason why i'm going to this effort though ;)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

HDI wrote:Not wanting to subvert this thread but a sphere tool is available on ebay for somewhat less that half the price mentioned above, available in both standard and C5 sizes. Looks robust enough to me too.
I have no connection with the seller, commercial or otherwise and don't wish to knock Plaides either but the difference in price is substantial so has to be worth mentioning.
The ebay tool is ok, but the tightening bolt goes through the loop onto the sphere so only part of the loop is in contact with the sphere.
I'm sure there was a thread where a particularly tight sphere bent the loop.
Also if memory serves the loop isn't angled so access to some spheres is harder.

The pleiades tool's loop is tightened all around the sphere giving maximum contact.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Fair comment.
Personally I use a big pipe wrench, preferred make Ridgid, nothing argues with that !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Chris570 wrote:do you mean this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 19cd3850ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so i had one of those once and it simply wasn't strong enough to grip those reallly tight spheres, it only "gripped" a very small portion of the sphere whereas this one clamps the whole thing. Those that have used and compared them will agree that the extra money is warranted. Mine simply distorted the ring when the bolt was done right up (which i needed to do because otherwise it just slipped). Same seller as well. Maybe i had one with a bad bath of metal but i certainly wouldnt consider nor suggest to anyone else that this was a value for money purchase, you get what you pay for and this one certainly shows it when the going gets tough.

A good point though to raise it as a comparison as its a free market, to those that want to give the £15 one a go by all means do so. There is a reason why i'm going to this effort though ;)
If he does mean that one, I have one in my toolkit. I've added my name to the list that wants a Pleidaes one. That tells you all you need to know. I changed all the spheres on my Activa with it, it was a ballache for the reasons you state above.