Xantia rear brakes

All the sticky threads from the Citroen and Activa forums have been relocated here at least on a temporary basis.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 05 Mar 2012, 21:58

You're not just flipping the calipers?

Also they could possibly be ground/milled if you had the kit. Being an old-schooler I actually final scrape some things like this, too. Best success in such endeavours was sorting an HS-8 carb with a nasty dent in the vacuum pot; knocked out to barely there and then scraped inside to a beaut seal once more.
0 x

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Re: Xantia rear brakes

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 01 Apr 2012, 10:04

Hello there,

I had this problem, and (after reading through this forum VERY carefully) got on with it SUCCESSFULLY! Everything went well, with no major glitches. Took me about 4 hours all told, not having much mechanical experience.

I decided to get hold of a pair of caliper refurb kits, just in case. No motor factors had any, but finally found a website that sells them at a reasonable price,

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/ ... d5520.html

but it turned out I did not need them.

Hell Razor5543 :o
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Xantia Activa, Xantia 1.9TD, Pug 207, Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Mountain Bike...

Post by CitroJim » 01 Apr 2012, 10:11

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I had this problem, and (after reading through this forum VERY carefully) got on with it SUCCESSFULLY!

Excellent :-D Patience and care really is the key to this job... Please the forum was useful for this :)

Welcome Hell Razor :-D I just activated you an had a little smile to myself at your justification... I have a Xantia just like yours (i.e. tatty blue) Well, I did last time I looked. Better check in case you've just nicked it...
0 x
Jim

Gabriel - The Best 1.9TD Xantia in the World...
The Activa - My favourite toy...
The Pug of Love - A pretty blue 207...
And Three Bikes...

One of Barclay James Harvest's Biggest Fans...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 01 Apr 2012, 15:05

Hello again,

The oxide is, as stated by Jim and others, very hard, but it is also very brittle (like roof slates). When I found this out I tapped directly onto the corrosion to crack it, and then across the face to dislodge it (using a sharp cold chisel and light taps with a hammer). I then wire brushed the faces to get a clean surface, followed by a shed-load of grease to slow down the re-ocurrance of the problem.

I was talking to a friend (who is an MoT mechanic) about this problem, and when I mentioned that I wished I could have fitted some sort of gasket between the caliper and the trailing arm to prevent metal to metal contact, he suggested cutting out two pieces of cardboard to fit, soaking them in grease, and then fitting them (he said that that is all a normal gasket is anyway). I am thinking about doing this next time I have to work on the rear wheels. Any thoughts on this, anybody?

Jim, Rattiva II is safe! My Xantia is an X reg, registered June 2001.
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!