Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

User Selectable Large Font Size

Post by xantia_v6 »

As a solution to the issue of the forum font being too small for some users on some portable devices, we will be implementing a user-selected option to increase the font size.

This scheme is currently prototyped on a test forum that is located at https://xantiav6.co.uk/forum/ (it will be live here after our next software upgrade in a few weeks).

If you log into https://xantiav6.co.uk/forum/ fonts and spacings will by default be the same as this forum (although a few are slightly wrong at present). Go into your user control panel and the tab "Board Preferences", you will see a new setting: "Would you prefer the font to be larger?:" If you select that, then the fonts on the main forum pages should get about 20% bigger.

The purpose of this topic is for reports and discussion on the changes to the font size.

Some people obviously don't need this change, and they can quite happily ignore it.

There has been a request to apply the larger font feature to this forum ASAP before the next software upgrade, but unfortunately that is not practical. The main problem is that this feature is not a standard part of the phpBB forum software and it requires about 100 manual changes to the forum source code. These then have to be checked on each type of forum page using browsers with different screen resolution. There were several hours work getting the demo version working, and much more to get the final version completed and tested. To complicate matters, the actual changes would be different between the currently installed version of forum software and the new version, and that prevents even the demo version being uploaded to the main server for now.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: User Selectable Large Font Size

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would like feedback on the font sizes that have been achieved with the larger font feature enabled. It seems to me that the font size increase of about 20% is good for phones with small screens, but on larger PC screens, the font becomes inconveniently large. This could be inconvenient for people who frequently move between devices.

I am considering the idea of having the larger fonts automatically disabled for devices with larger screens (determined by the screen width in pixels).

I would like to get early feedback, so that the code changes and testing do not need to be done repeatedly.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I cannot say anything about big screens, but am really struggling on even my biggest tablet
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote: but am really struggling on even my biggest tablet

Bet that's hard to swallow Davie ;) :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: User Selectable Large Font Size

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote:
daviemck2006 wrote: but am really struggling on even my biggest tablet

Bet that's hard to swallow Davie ;) [emoji38]
Its a bit too sweet and doing nothing for my diabetes Jim [emoji12] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

daviemck2006 wrote:I cannot say anything about big screens, but am really struggling on even my biggest tablet

I will make some progress on this as soon as I can, but it won't be for a few days due to other commitments.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

After putting some more work into this I have decided to discontinue this proposed change due to the technical complexity of getting everything to format correctly.
It has also been found that for Android phone users, a similar result can be achieved by using the text-size setting in the browser, and if the phone's native browser does not support text sizing, then another browser (e.g. Chrome) will.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I'm not sure I follow the need for this anyway. On both my Android devices I can simply pinch and zoom in or out to make the text bigger or smaller as I wish.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ditto for IOS and Windows Phone users, regardless of browser.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Michel wrote:I'm not sure I follow the need for this anyway. On both my Android devices I can simply pinch and zoom in or out to make the text bigger or smaller as I wish.

The subtlety is that if you make thinks larger by pinch and zoom, the whole page expands, and then you have to scroll backwards and forwards to see the beginning and end of each line. If you change the browser text size, (server-side or client-side) the text gets bigger but is re-wrapped into the frame which fits into the physical window.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: RE: Re: User Selectable Large Font Size

Post by Michel »

xantia_v6 wrote:
Michel wrote:I'm not sure I follow the need for this anyway. On both my Android devices I can simply pinch and zoom in or out to make the text bigger or smaller as I wish.

The subtlety is that if you make thinks larger by pinch and zoom, the whole page expands, and then you have to scroll backwards and forwards to see the beginning and end of each line. If you change the browser text size, (server-side or client-side) the text gets bigger but is re-wrapped into the frame which fits into the physical window.
Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation.