Error during flasher loading

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

tobcio
My Cars: Citroen C4 II THP 155

Error during flasher loading

Post by tobcio »

Hi all,
this thread is my last hope to get my radio back to life.

My problem: After something like "Insert Navigation CD" while driving my screen went black at the next restart of the car.
After trying every first options (check cables, disconnect system, restart with eject button) i ordered a new 16 GB Micro SD and got some firmware to install.
First i tried it with USB which ended in CRC Media Error.
Now i just tried it with a CD and version 2.77 (the only iso i got so far), everything went smooth until the display showed me "error during flasher loading" and the system restarted.

Is there anything else i can try to make it work? Other firmware? Starting the CD with the bootmode (2 little switches on the rt6)?

Would appreciate any type of help!
Thanks! <3
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Error during flasher loading

Post by GiveMeABreak »

2 possible issues come to mind:

1) Use a CD burned at the lowest speed and finalised as Joliet only mode (not ISO / Joliet).
2) Your USB media has system files on it left by Windows. Use a recent error-free good quality FAT32 formatted USB and ensure that the hidden and system files are first viewable using the file properties to show these files, then you have to set the attributes from 'Hidden & System' to read / write before you can remove them. But - only do this after you have first extracted the firmware files onto the USB, because if you copy the files after you have changed and removed the attributes of the Hidden and System files, Windows will copy the hidden and system files back over and you will have to start again.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tobcio

Post by tobcio »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 09:55 2 possible issues come to mind:

1) Use a CD burned at the lowest speed and finalised as Joliet only mode (not ISO / Joliet).
2) Your USB media has system files on it left by Windows. Use a recent error-free good quality FAT32 formatted USB and ensure that the hidden and system files are first viewable using the file properties to show these files, then you have to set the attributes from 'Hidden & System' to read / write before you can remove them. But - only do this after you have first extracted the firmware files onto the USB, because if you copy the files after you have changed and removed the attributes of the Hidden and System files, Windows will copy the hidden and system files back over and you will have to start again.
Hey, thanks for the reply!
So i just finish the ISO as Joliet when burning the CD? or can i use the files for the usb method as well?
I have read that the first install on a new SD only works from CD and not USB?

And with which firmware should i start when using a new SD? or should i try to install on the old SD first?
I cant tell whoch version was on the system before, since my screen stays black and only shows something when try to boot from cd / usb. Is it normal that the CD drive is kinda loud when trying to update from cd?

A lot of questions i got, sorry for that.
Thanks already for further help! <3
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is a tricky one, because depending on the version you already had installed - the latest 2.86 version may cause problems after installation that can often be fixed with Mirascripts, as long as you have already taken a backup of the user data files. It's usually too late if the unit has got to this stage as it is now failing to load the operating system as you can't see anything.

If the unit cannot find the files on CD it will search USB and that is the preferred method as sometimes the CD can get stuck in an endless loop and refuse to eject.

If your old SD card was working so that you can at least see the screen, I would take a backup of your user files using Mirascripts as per the Part A in the guide. At least you have your vehicle settings backed up safe.

If it is no longer working then it is possible the internal system hardware may have been partially overwritten.

At this stage you have nothing to lose, so I'd try without the CD and extract the firmware onto a decent clean USB and see if it will attempt to reinstall the operating system onto the new SD card.

Marc
tobcio

Post by tobcio »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 12:05 This is a tricky one, because depending on the version you already had installed - the latest 2.86 version may cause problems after installation that can often be fixed with Mirascripts, as long as you have already taken a backup of the user data files. It's usually too late if the unit has got to this stage as it is now failing to load the operating system as you can't see anything.

If the unit cannot find the files on CD it will search USB and that is the preferred method as sometimes the CD can get stuck in an endless loop and refuse to eject.

If your old SD card was working so that you can at least see the screen, I would take a backup of your user files using Mirascripts as per the Part A in the guide. At least you have your vehicle settings backed up safe.

If it is no longer working then it is possible the internal system hardware may have been partially overwritten.

At this stage you have nothing to lose, so I'd try without the CD and extract the firmware onto a decent clean USB and see if it will attempt to reinstall the operating system onto the new SD card.
I tried with different versions on the old and the new SD. My results so far:

On old and new SD with USB, always ending in "crc media error"
On both with CD always ending with "disk check", throwing out the disk and "error during flasher loading"
Tried 2.31, 2.77, 2.86

I cant see anything on the screen, only when the firmware update is loading / trying.
So i dont know the version that has been on it before, but i dont think there were any updates done before. Only one thing is a bit strange, on the rt6 is a sticker with the date 2016, while the car is from 2011.

I got the old SD still like i dismounted it, so with the same data i had in the car.
Would it help to copy the partitions onto the new SD and try to start like that?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I doubt that will work if you still can't boot from the old SD card. If it won't boot and you have tried a different USB to rule out issues with that, then it may need sending off for repair.
It seems it has already been replaced once with a second hand unit and now that too is failing....

It may be that the internal chips have been corrupted or failed.

Marc
tobcio

Post by tobcio »

Is this possible from one moment to the other, without doing anything on the radio?
I mean i just drove regularly when a message like "please insert navigation CD" popped up, but still everything worked. At the next restart of the car the display just stood black.

So how would recommend my last try to make it work?
New SD, with firmware (which one?) on USB?

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:02 I doubt that will work if you still can't boot from the old SD card. If it won't boot and you have tried a different USB to rule out issues with that, then it may need sending off for repair.
It seems it has already been replaced once with a second hand unit and now that too is failing....

It may be that the internal chips have been corrupted or failed.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I had that message a few years ago on the RT6 unit in my X7. I was able to overcome it by installing the map data again.

In my case it was faulty installation (my fault!) of an aborted map update so it may not work for you.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I just had a check, and if you are getting a display of the message “Please insert the navigation CD” or "Check in progress" on the multifunction screen continually, then officially it is a replacement unit required.

From build date 13642 (16 March 2014), a new RT6 unit was used.

Marc
tobcio

Post by tobcio »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 11:13 I just had a check, and if you are getting a display of the message “Please insert the navigation CD” or "Check in progress" on the multifunction screen continually, then officially it is a replacement unit required.

so you think my rt6 is gone? i only got the message once, and then it just went black into bootloop since the next restart
Paul-R wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 18:52 I had that message a few years ago on the RT6 unit in my X7. I was able to overcome it by installing the map data again.

In my case it was faulty installation (my fault!) of an aborted map update so it may not work for you.
Thats kinda weird, since i never have done something like a map update and still the message popped up out of nothing.
tobcio

Post by tobcio »

actually im not even sure its in bootloop. Its searching for a CD every 15s or so.

tobcio wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 21:12
GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 11:13 I just had a check, and if you are getting a display of the message “Please insert the navigation CD” or "Check in progress" on the multifunction screen continually, then officially it is a replacement unit required.

so you think my rt6 is gone? i only got the message once, and then it just went black into bootloop since the next restart
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I've just put up a guide on firmware updates on these units. Have a read through my post here: Official RT6 Firmware Upgrade Instructions.

You'll notice that when updating with USB - expect CD noises and a blank screen - so you can try going through the process as described in the guide and leave it to do it's thing. No harm at this stage I suspect.

Marc
tobcio

Post by tobcio »

For anyone with the same problem getting to this thread. My last hope and at the same time the solution to this problem was to buy the original firmware 2.86 via Ebay for 15€. It worked on the old SD card with the first try, what i have tried first before replacing it with a new card.

Its kinda strange, since i have tried a lot of versions on USB and CD, and i think i didnt do so much wrong there with a certain knowledge in IT.
But "flasher loading error" showed that something couldn't be read on the media so i tried with the original firmware.