Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Familiarity Phenomenon & other unlikely coincidences

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 20:25
Today we were on doggy day care duty for our eldest's Labrador, and I had a walk as often do up past my Grandpa's house and into the surrounding woodland and tracks. Coming up towards the house again on my way back I heard someone call "Hi". Responded with a "Hi" of my own, and as I looked up it was a total stranger speaking into their mobile phone.

Re-incarnation seems the more likely explanation :-D

Neil
What's more amazing is that I phoned up someone earlier today and they told me some random bloke in the woods had said 'Hi' to them as they answered the phone :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

How many times is Napoleon III and his son Louis-Napoleon Prince Imperial mentioned on the French Car forum. :?:

Well thanks to Peter and his wondering why Chislehurst had the three digit Telephone Exchange Code IMP in days gone by, the Napoleons exiled at Chislehurst have been mentioned once on Sunday.
Trivia Investigation Thread...Sunday 10th March 2024
viewtopic.php?p=792984#p792984
One day later on Monday...
How unlikely then that on University Challenge aired last night one of the questions was....
De Tocqueville lost all his political offices for refusing to take an oath of loyalty to the regime of which political figure who had seized power in a coup of 1851 :?:
The answer Napoleon III

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Slightly detatched, but familiarity phenomenon non the less.

March 4th....Siemens in Chippenham gets a namecheck
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 19:09 Wow, Concrete Club off to a flyer! The name Siemens on it is because The Northumberland Line’s signalling system will be manufactured and tested by Siemens Mobility in Chippenham, Wiltshire, home to the UK’s only remaining dedicated signalling and control facility. It was right next to this signal box which is due to be demolished within the next few days.

Today March 19th 2024
On the episode broadcast tonight of "Great British Railway Journeys" (Series 15 episode 2 Chippenham to Yeovill) Michael Portillo spends a good deal of time in the Seimens Mobility factory at Chippenham, the UK’s only remaining dedicated signalling and control facility, and was given demonstrations of current state of the art signalling.
temp2.png
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Remarkably, I have a bit of history with all of this...

Back in the day, we had a radio station with an unattended transmitter site remotely controlled from the receiving station. Both stations were many miles apart so the high-power transmitters did not interfere with the receivers.

The remote transmitters were fully controlled using a railway signalling system made by Westinghouse in Chippenham.

It was chosen for this role as it was very reliable and failsafe, via the protection and interlocks built into it. Communications between the receiving and transmitting station equipment was via a UHF radio link...

This system was in use for well over 30 years and never failed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

More Portillo familiarity links today...Next episode on tonight covered Series 15 Episode 3 Swanage to Portchester and his factory visit was to Mathmos in Poole.

Suffice to say the Pickled Egg Quiz had a bit of a dalliance into the very same product and its inventor.. Clearly the researchers for the programme are avid viewers of the FCF. Pickled egg Quiz with the start to the story
viewtopic.php?p=649885#p649885
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 19:27
There is enough information in this picture to get the location even if you haven't a clue where it is. Just requires a query on the little snippets of information that are in the picture.
Pickled Egg Quiz: Where is the location for this picture :?: The inventor of which iconic 1960's product is associated with the location :?:

Ok here is the full picture click to enlarge
...and what do Mathmos make.. :?:

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 19:23
mickthemaverick wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 18:56 Hiding in the corner of the car park at our lunch pub today was this beauty. Who can identify it precisely? :-D

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 19:03 I would rather imprecisely say the Princess 4 litre R, if there is such a thing, with the rolls Royce Engine top of the head, and I wont get any closer without looking it up. :-D
mickthemaverick wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 19:09 You are 1/3rd correct Neil!! :-D
Missed out the very important bit :-D

Neil

Now this is a bit weird - about an hour before Mick 'n' Neil had a conversation about the mystery car, I was watching Jonny Smith's review of the classic car auctions this weekend up at the NEC. And what did he feature - and what did I think 'I haven't seen one of those in a while' ?......

<click to play and you'll see :-D >

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

That is a bit spooky as well as not being exactly the same car!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Aug 2023, 17:50 Let me plant a seed of what I think is a relatively rare occurrence, but which today popped up unexpectedly.
An Orange Door

Let it seep into your subconscious, but lie there primed for subsequent apparently random noticings.
Calling Gibbo, you may not fancy revisiting Monmouth after this...
Gibbo2286 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:56 The HB car park in Monmouth is free but they have a 90 minute limit, ....etc
...but a walk along Whitecross Street with your camera in hand and you may come across an orange door :-D Maybe even 2. Spotted on "George Clark's Amazing Renovations" on Channel 4 tonight, which featured a conversion of a former Accountant's shop at 9 Whitecross Street Monmouth...the green-painted building in this google streetview scene. Can't be sure of the shades but the google streetview cameras do appear to show a shade of orange, Britain's rarest front door colour. :-D
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just over the border here in West Gloucestershire you would need to beg the planners for permission to do that Neil, one of the village pubs on the A40 painted his front walls a pale blue, the council demanded it be repainted to a colour that they approved of, another had his property rewired, an orange mains cable across his fascia board got him threatened with court action if he didn't change it to black. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

From Orange doors to Orange Balls.

From the 1966 FA Cup final between Everton and Sheffield Wednesday, watched on a British Pathe Film about it only yesterday. Pre-match Referee and Linesmen with three Orange Balls :-D
temp2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This is one of those run of the mill instances of familiarity phenomenon.

Noticing things which you wouldn't notice without having been suitably and subconsciously pre-primed to notice.

Take this photo of an Austin Maxi. Prior to the recent flood of Maxi activity on this very forum, I would have regarded the subject matter of the photograph the obvious Aston Martin Lagonda and disregarded the rest of the background.

today I notice the Blue Maxi immediately

Aston Martin Lagonda West London
Charles01, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I can't help thinking that car looks much better a little taller: :-D
Stolen and modified!
Stolen and modified!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Have to put a link to my Rivet familiarity phenomenon as described here...
A bridge too Far thread
viewtopic.php?p=798154#p798154
From this
Iron Bridge Over The Tweed
Iron Bridge Over The Tweed
To this
From &quot;Britain's Greatest Bridges&quot; on C5
From "Britain's Greatest Bridges" on C5
To this
Rivet Catcher beer named from the days when white hot rivets were thrown up to the riveters who would catch them in a glove. Featured as part of the TV Documentary on the construction of the Tyne Bridge
Rivet Catcher beer named from the days when white hot rivets were thrown up to the riveters who would catch them in a glove. Featured as part of the TV Documentary on the construction of the Tyne Bridge
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX