Parking Tales and hassles

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Parking Tales and hassles

Post by Ross_K »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 21:07 Must be quite lucrative, particularly if you can organise a "trap" for folk who find it impossible to park within the confines of the bay, either because of over-large vehicles, laziness, or just plain incompetance at parking.
I think it's just laziness, penny-pinching or negligence by the property management company in failing to put down kerbs or bollards, and create clearly defined separation between pedestrian and parking areas. If someone was hit by a car while walking in that pedestrian strip it would be lawsuit time...
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I made a rare trip into the big city today to visit the Apple Shop to collect Robyn's birthday present...

I felt a bit naughty walking into such an establishment wearing a Garmin Smartwatch and presenting my collection authorisation QR code on an Android 'phone :lol:

That's beside the point... I had trouble finding my car after concluding my business in the metropolis... It was hiding :roll:

The poor little thing looked lost amongst all the modern behemoths :twisted: Especially the massive Renault squashed right up against it...
20221102_120907.jpg
Brilliant service by Apple and in the Apple shop from start to end... I was favourably impressed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 17:18 I made a rare trip into the big city today to visit the Apple Shop to collect Robyn's birthday present...
I have to say I think that is a bit measley of you JIm for your daughter's birthday, you could at least have got her a couple of bananas and a pear as well to make up a birthday basket!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 17:30
CitroJim wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 17:18 I made a rare trip into the big city today to visit the Apple Shop to collect Robyn's birthday present...
I have to say I think that is a bit measley of you JIm for your daughter's birthday, you could at least have got her a couple of bananas and a pear as well to make up a birthday basket!! :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I asked her what she wanted for her birthday and she told me!!! As it's her 30th I was happy to agree to her dearest wish and believe me, it was dear :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Channel 5 now or 5+1 at 7 o'clock on Britains Parking Hell!!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo has had another one. Home Bargains Car Park...Monmouth
See his Cheerful Start thread here...
viewtopic.php?t=81481
I was at a local Home Bargains on Tuesday last week. Didn't notice any notices. Hope there wasn't one like this.
Had a look in May 2023 when the google cameras visited, no notices, not to say they haven't followed other HB stores in the region and contracted out management of their store car parking.

Parking within marked bays...reasonably obvious although must be a great source of revenue for the parking management companies as many of today's vehicles hardly fit into the marked bay without overhang, and drivers don't realise that "overhang" whether front or back or sides is equally culpable for failing to meet parking conditions.

Less obvious (if you don't read the list) is, no parking and leaving site, no parking when store is closed.

I may well have fallen foul of this last Tuesday as I popped across 50 metres to have a look at the charity shop in the adjacent block of businesses in the same retail centre, and returned to the car, having previously been a customer of HB.

Gibbo's was managed by Parking Eye, this example of conditions from another parking management company.
temp2.png
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'll have to have a look at the HB near me. I often go there but rarely for more than ten minutes. The main car parks here are free but I rarely use them. The ones that are 90~120 minutes are rarely used for more than 45 minutes and that is when i have to visit four shops covered by the car park. I go for what I want and get out of there as soon as I can.

I had a worrying few days a couple of years ago in a Lidl car park. Shopping done in fifteen minutes then got talking to a bloke in the car park with no idea of how long I was there. Less that an hour and a half it would seem.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The HB car park in Monmouth is free but they have a 90 minute limit, most car parks even the council ones allow 3 hours for disabled badge holders, this one apparently not.
The town is a mess of road works at the moment with the main street one way traffic and it seems to have put off a lot of shoppers, this car park was almost empty when we arrived and still so when we left.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Home Bargains website "Got a parking penalty, don't talk to us talk to the parking management company"
Parking Eye, "Your parking appeal is unsuccessful, this is the end of the internal appeal options."
"Any further action must be taken with Popla.co.uk or the Ombudsman but we don't recognise the Ombudsman." :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They sound distinctly dodgy... Surely they have to recognise the Ombudsman?
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I'd send them an email advising that as they don't recognise the Ombudsman, you don't recognise their authority to impose fines and sign it with 'see you in court where a judge can rule on the matter'. Leave it to them and I doubt you will hear any more!! :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 05:19 They sound distinctly dodgy... Surely they have to recognise the Ombudsman?
I was paraphrasing Jim, this is the actual wording:
By law we are also required to inform you that Ombudsman Services (www.ombudsman-
services.org/) provides an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent
to deal with your appeal. However, we have not chosen to participate in their alternative
dispute resolution service. As such should you wish to appeal then you must do so to
POPLA, as explained above.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

All academic now, I've just been informed that the lady I took to HB died in the night. :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:(