gearbox how long do you roughly think it last?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harwoodguy

gearbox how long do you roughly think it last?

Post by harwoodguy »

207 1.4 vti same engine as mini

i noticed my gearbox is making a click noise when around 1.500-2000rpm when slowing down or running at that rpm when driving

its not driveshaft as soon as i press the clutch its quiet or put in neutral

is there a chance the gearbox is going to shxt itself if it starts to get more louder at min you can hear it without radio on but i got a feeling its going to get worse as i do alot of miles

because i rang a garage and they want nearly £1k for replacing it if they cant fix it so im thinking of carrying on with it till it fails and buy a non peugeot car

only as 83k but i wondering if previous tried hiding the issue as i did notice a rattle on idle but not when at certain rpm so i drained oil and was only 600ml soon i filled with 2lt it now makes a noise at certain rpm and it defo gearbox as it coming from passenger lower footwell
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Re: gearbox how long do you roughly think it last?

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hard to know even if you'd included a video/audio recording of the noise really, but practically impossible to say without hearing it, might not even be gearbox but either way would be very helpful to hear it. My money would be on it being more likely a CV joint, or even potentially a running issue causing vibration at certain loads & making something unrelated rattle.

Also, how did the oil look that you drained out, lots of metal flakes & gunky grey paste?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k