MP3 Play Order

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Uncle Tom Cobley

MP3 Play Order

Post by Uncle Tom Cobley »

I never thought about my old devices being still stored on the system and that the car would still be searching for them, but as recommended by Citroen they are all cleared now and my present iphone has been freshly paired . This was the possible cause of my touchscreen misbehaving I will just have to wait and see if it has cured the problem ( I had five old devices still stored on the blue tooth system)
As for the Mp3s .. ? Let me try and explain how I do it.
The USB stick/pen 1gb or 512k for example ( I have several ) is formatted to fat 32
I then create folders on the stick.
So lets say I have only two.
The first one is called Abba the tracks are then placed in order for example 1.angleeyes.mp3 2.chiquitita.mp3 3.dancingqueen.mp3
Then say my second folder is named Beatles 1.aharddaysnight.mp3 2.backintheussr.mp3 3.cantbuymelove.mp3
The Folders are named for the artist
The tracks in the folders are in both numerical and alphabetical order
I am probably missing something here as I realise that USB sticks containing MP3 tracks in cars is a different beast to your home computer.

Ps..I was a mobile DJ for years and my entire collection was in MP3 format ( tediously recorded from my huge CD collection and individually renamed , no handy renaming software back then I’m afraid :cry: ) and never had any problems, also when my pen was put into a new car in the Citroën showroom a few years ago they played perfectly and in order ?
Last edited by Uncle Tom Cobley on 28 Oct 2022, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: MP3 Play Order

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Make sure you carefully check your Head Unit Playback options, as there will be options like the RANDOM or SHUFFLE options as well as REPEAT. If you have the random or shuffle (I can't remember which they call it now) feature active then it will play the files randomly regardless of naming convention Tom.

If you pop your VIN up I'll check which system you have and the options for this if you are not sure (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Uncle Tom Cobley

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 11:32 If you pop your VIN up I'll check which system you have and the options for this if you are not sure (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Marc.. If I simply input my vin number the forums system will automatically detect its a vin number and block out a number of digits is that correct?
Ross_K

Post by Ross_K »

Uncle Tom Cobley wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 08:55
Ps..I was a mobile DJ for years and my entire collection was in MP3 format ( tediously recorded from my huge CD collection and individually renamed , no handy renaming software back then I’m afraid :cry: ) and never had any problems, also when my pen was put into a new car in the Citroën showroom a few years ago they played perfectly and in order ?
I still have about a terabyte of MP3s around here, ripped from my CD collection before I got rid of it. And now I've moved on again to Spotify... :lol:

Your mention of mp3 tagging software just reminded me that some software operates off the file name, and some software operates off the ID3 tags (ignoring the file name).

For maximum compatibility I found it was best to use a consistent format for the file name and ID3 tags, for example:

<Track no.> - <Artist name> - <Album name> - <Track name>.mp3

I'm probably teaching granny to suck eggs but if you find the file names aren't working for you, maybe check the ID3 tags (or vice versa)?
ImageImage
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Uncle Tom Cobley wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 18:14
GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 11:32 If you pop your VIN up I'll check which system you have and the options for this if you are not sure (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Marc.. If I simply input my vin number the forums system will automatically detect its a vin number and block out a number of digits is that correct?
It is!

Example:-

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Uncle Tom Cobley

OK here’s my VIN

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so just confirming you have the 7" Touchscreen system (SMEG).

So when selecting your source and the USB, look out for these options:
tom media.PNG
These will control the play order when active.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc