C5 x7 DAB? Or Nav system?

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

chunky2778

C5 x7 DAB? Or Nav system?

Post by chunky2778 »

Hi just wondering if there's any sort of DAB adaptor that can be bought or recommended so that it is all still integrated into the car rather than buying a DAB transmitter etc please?

It's for a C5 X7 VTR+.

As an aside, to upgrade to a NAV setup would it just be a case of plug and play and the loom is already there? Or would I need the extra loom and would it need enabling with a diagnostic set up?

If I just wanted Bluetooth comparability could I just buy a Citroen Bluetooth head unit to replace the MP3 one I have currently?

Alternatively does anyone recommend a Bluetooth adaptor, the sort that uses the aux setting, again that would work with the integrated system please?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 x7 DAB? Or Nav system?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are no factory head units for the C5 X7 that have DAB, except the touchscreen system fitted to the last few production models , but this requires a lot of retro fitting if you can even find one now, including new fascia, wiring, switch plug modules, coding, etc., so not really practical.

There are options for DAB, that plug into the 12V socket and can provide both DAB, MP3 and Bluetooth capability for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=12v+DAB+tr ... _sb_noss_2
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
chunky2778

Post by chunky2778 »

Thanks for the reply, those are the adaptors I was trying to avoid, I've had two or three and just find them rubbish.

Last car I had was a Volvo and you could get a Bluetooth adaptor that plugged straight into back of stereo and the head unit thought it was a CD changer so could use it from there.

Do you know if I got a complete sat nav kit with the Bluetooth head unit from a 2010 model whether it would be plug and play?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No none of them are plug and play. They all need the correct wiring harnesses, configuration of the BSI, vin coding and fascia, you may also need a separate microphone as without the correct harness, the factory one in the roof won’t work,

There are some units like a Yatour, that mimic the CD playing by connecting to the CD port. These are ok for playing music, organised like a 6 CD changer.

These Yatour units can have different options depending on what you want, but others have replaced the Head Unit with an Android head unit. You may loose some vehicle configuration options though.

You can get an RT6 system, which will require the Head Unit, compatible screen, fascia. It may need a harness too and will need VIN coding and BSI configuration though.

Marc
chunky2778

Post by chunky2778 »

The Yatour looks like the closest thing to the adaptor available for Volvo's thanks, although it's about three times the price of a VAG group one for some reason unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Are the only options lost through the removal of the OE head unit the ones accessed by the menu button? If so I'm not sure i'd miss much, does the orange LCD display above still continue to work but only basic functions like the old Vauxhall's used to?

Has anyone ever fitted a double din and then used a dash trim from a vehicle that has Sat Nav?

Thanks again for your help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The RD4 and the small MFD screen work as a unit and have the following purpose:
  • Role of the RD4 audio system (All trim levels) :
  • To receive audible radio broadcast transmissions in amplitude and frequency modulation (AM and FM)
  • To present the list of stations available
  • To play a compact disc via the integrated compact disc player (single CD) / Via a compact disc changer (CDC)
  • To select 5 musical ambiences (Vocal, Techno, Jazz, Rock, Classic)
  • To manage 1 or 2 stereophonic audio inputs (according to the level of finish) located at the rear of the unit, the two inputs being analogue (auxiliary source)
  • To manage 4 stereophonic audio outputs
  • To control a compact disc changer
  • To control the stereophonic audio outputs, superimposed over an audio source (if necessary), for the parking assistance function
  • To be compatible with the "hands-free kit" function
  • To manage the power amplifier system
  • To be controlled by a steering wheel control
  • To display information on the remote multifunction display
  • To carry out diagnostics of its own operation and of that of its peripheral devices
  • To manage the hands-free kit
If you are considering removing the Head Unit and replacing it entirely, be prepared to potentially loose steering wheel control functionality, trip computers, temperature display and date / time for example, and possibly the status of any faults stored in the log. Depending on vehicle type and equipment the option to configure or change settings that you could do via the menu for the RD4 to change vehicle parameters will also be lost. including any parking assistance display / detection beeps.

The only double din unit was the NG4 Navidrive 3D, as this system was quite large.

Marc
chunky2778

Post by chunky2778 »

I'll get a Yatour or similar then 😂😳

Sounds like a lot of hassle for not much gain so thankyou for your help.