Weird coolant colour

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fred Timperly

Weird coolant colour

Post by Fred Timperly »

This is the colour of my coolant... looks muddy... Thought it was supposed to be a vibrant colour.

I have not noticed unusual car temperature or performance decrease but this has caught my eye.
Attachments
20240508_114550.jpg
20240508_114536.jpg
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Weird coolant colour

Post by PaulC5 »

How long has it been this colour and have you been topping it up with just water, has somebody put in a sealant , is there any sign of oil in there ? You could take a bit out and put it in the freezer, if anti freeze it should not freeze but if it does then you might have only rusty water in the car. The presence of bubbles might be a sign the head gasket has failed unless you removed the cap with a hot engine.

On our cars when new, the anti freeze has been a very pale yellow colour but when replaced during timing belt or coolant changes at the dealer they have put in a blue colour anti freeze. Note the colour does not mean which type of anti freeze has been used, different makes use various colours.

On our 308 the servicing includes an anti freeze check at 4 years but at our 4 year service the dealer replaced it so it is now a blue colour.