P.C Spyware

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Spider v1.16?Still working my way through it.Norton internet protection up & running again now.Managed to successfully update to m/s service pack 2 today.This is where all the problems started.Still got this bug.Went to click on the all forums link at the top of page after catching up on the Citroen page,& it went to a p**n site!!!???Bloody p,c`s..[:I][:(!][:)[:D].
How do i get to the task manager?
Thanks
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How do i get to the task manager?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Right click on an empty area of the main taskbar and select Task Manager from the menu that pops up. Alternatively press CTRL+ALT+DELETE (Once only!!) and click the button labelled Task Manager.
You probably need to look at the "Processes" tab. As already stated, do a Google search on anything that looks suspicious.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

I dont worry about "spyware" as if it manages to send stuff out without Sygate stopping it, well theres nothing in my PC thats of any value to anyone but me, so let it send and waste there web space. [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It isn't usually what is on your PC the spyware (or malware) is after. It is your internet connection. Even a dialup connection can be used to forward spam emails without your knowledge. I know of people who's internet connection has been terminated because they were being used as a relay station for spam and other malicious activities.
<b>np</b> I think you may have to bite the bullet and completely wipe your system.
Then before you connect to the internet make sure you have a decent firewall running. If you have broadband it is worth investing in a router instead of a modem, that will stop all the nasties floaing around the internet from seeing your PC. What they can't see they can't infect.
And the first thing you need to get after connecting to the internet is SP2.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Found the task manager thanks,will go through it.I am getting crap e-mails since this started.Having no luck getting rid of it.Jumped to p**n site again when clicking on general chat link from the Citroen forum.Wouldn`t mind so much if it wasn`t a pay site!
Homer.Looks like a reformat again.Done it 2 weeks ago.Was half way through updating to sp2,when we had a brief power cut,lost it all then.Then my Dad reformated it all,loaded in sp2,then it wouldn`t work.Another reformat.I`ve now got sp2 on it & it works fine.Apart from the p**n & hyjacked homepage,Richfind.com.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Are you on a dialup connection? If so and you don't want to spend days downloading you can get the service pack from Microsoft on a CD (providing you have a registered copy of XP).
Before you reformat make sure you have a copy of a personal firewall such as Zonealarm, that will at least keep you safe until you get the patches done.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Good news at last[:D]Now have Web Root Spy Sweeper.Has found & deleated the probs(rich find ect)On the settings,you can save your home page.Richfind[:(!] still trys to hijack it,but web root informs you of this.Just click your homepage option & webroot reverts back to that.At least i have my normal homepage back when i go online.Its much better now,but still think a reformat is the best thing.
Homer,am on Blueyonder broadband.Have Norton a/virus & i/net security.Also have m/s sp 2 with the fire wall.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi NP. When you reformat, at the point when you have reformatted, replaced your operating system, and installed your basic hardware, use Norton "Ghost" and save a backup copy to your DVD re-writer (if you have one) that will save you lots of time and trouble next time you have to do it again...
Instead of reformatting next time you just run "Ghost" and tell it to restore the saved file on your DVD, onto your C: drive, it will tell you that you are overwriting your existing operating system, just ok that, and proceed.. [^]
And sadly, it is a case of "when" you have to reformat, not "if" with microsoft software, and all the bugs, dialers, hijackers and viruses that seem to abound these days.... [V] Good luck with it..
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Ok,thanks for that James.Its still ok at the mo,so i`ll reformat it in the few weeks.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I was getting driven bloody insane with it until a mate of mine pointed me at this.
I've since found most are ditching IE in preference to it & once you use it you can understand why.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Don't ask me how to instal it as my sons hooked me into it but once they saw it uin action, they're on it now too.
Doesn't take too much working out how to operate it.
Alan S
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Yep, the latest version of Firefox (and Thunderbird for email) are much better than earlier versions which had lots of incomaptibility problems with various websites. I have been trialling it on my own machines and am confident it is user friendly enough to install for other people.
Or for a really safe system go the whole hog and install Linux. http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ is good and if you want a simple system for web browsing word processing etc. I have it installed on a PC at home and it was easier than installing Windows XP.
Going off topic a bit. If you want a free alternative to Microsoft Office then check out http://www.openoffice.org/ it is acually very nice, not at all the amature product you might expect for free.