Timing Belt, Water Pump, Xantia...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Timing Belt, Water Pump, Xantia...

Post by mattpc »

Took the '95 Xantia 1.9 TD SX in to the garage today for new timing belt as have no record of when it was last done. They do the timing belt, advise water pump is leaking and I say okay fit a new one. Pick the car up they also advise that there is a small hole in the heater matrix (I had been guessing this could be the case). Ok- the car performed pretty well before- nice to drive could feel the turbo and could hold its own even on hills travelling at high speed on the motorway. Now it feels sluggish, underpowered and horrible. Also at high revs (around 3k) it sometimes makes sqeeking noises that I can hear from the drivers seat and sounds like its coming from under the bonnet. Furthermore I can feel some vibration on my right foot which I presume is from the accelarator pedal![:0]it a 100 mile test drive this evening around the local motorways and by the end of the drive it didn't really feel that much better.
Any thoughts and ideas guys?[:(]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

It is possible to put the belt back on one tooth out on the pump or cam or both if they were careless.
It is a ticklish job and I would suspect the problem lies there.
You can only talk to the garage and give them the chance to check it which can be done without removing the belt. If they use the correct pins to hold the pump and cam in the correct relative positions they will not enter the registers unless the timing is spot on.
Robin
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

It's possible- they are usually good mechanics but there's always room for human error. I will ring the owener of the garage tomorrow morning and outline the problems.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Hi Matt, the squeak could be the idler pullley for the serpentine belt that drives the alternator, hydraulic pump etc ( this has to be removed to get at the cam belt). I had my cam belt changed recently and then the idler pulley then started squeaking, could be that with the belt re-tensioned it pushes a dodgy bearing over the edge.
Pete
________
DRUG TESTING
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

They didn't connect the turbo pipes properly (or worked them loose). It's flying again now no problems. However, still getting vibration thru the accel pedal- could be in the cockpit where my feet go in general. WTF?[xx(] It wasn't like this before...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Back to garage again -
The acc cable is misplaced - or other parts misplaced touching the cable, very annoying.
Sluggish garage work I'd say ?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had the same last year when Puegeot changed my cam belt.All was ok when i picked it up,until i got on the duel carriageway,put my foot to the floor,not a lot happened.They had forgot to put the intercooler pipe back on.I also forgot the week before when i done some work to it!