Air bag light fixed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Air bag light fixed

Post by np »

Looking at the heater matrix & airbag post,is it really that simple to remove the airbag?Last year the warning light came on.After a diognostic(?)check,i was told it was the connections it the steering wheel.After it had been fixed,there was allways a sound when turning the steering wheel,like wires being caught/twisted,if you know what i mean.Now,the light is on again.At first it started as soon as you turned the steering wheel,now its on all the time.I wonder`d if that might be the problem again?
I presume that once the airbag is out,you have to disconect the stereo control wires,then "just" undo the wheel.Do`es it lift straight off?Thanks[:)]
Last edited by np on 22 Mar 2006, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

In a word yes! The noise you may be hearing could be due to when the wheel was removed/replaced previously the ring inside the wheel to control the stereo/airbag was not aligned correctly.
Remove the airbag, undo the two torx bolts behind the wheel then gently ease the airbag away from the wheel and tease off the electrical connection. Then look at the nut securing the wheel to the column and around it you will see a ring with two white arrows which should line up when the wheel is in the straight ahead position. if not then they will generate a noise as they are taken beyond their normal range of operation. Undo the steering wheel nut halfway, pull on the wheel on each side as it will be quite tight until loosened THEN undo the nut fully. If you undo the nut fully first time you may well pull so hard on the wheel that when it comes free it hits you in the mouth! Realign the arrows/wheel and refit etc.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No more to add...
Just repeating info I have gleaned from the 'net - I have yet to take one off, but I too have the air bag light coming on when you turn the steering, so I assume the rotary connector is packing up - I wil need to get it off and replace it I suppose.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

After trying to fix this the other month,i came to the conclusion that the rotary conectors were to blame again. I had to take the dash clocks out to change a load of blown bulbs today,so got a conector & stereo controls from the scrapy for £20.After putting it all back together,the air bag light goes out as normal,& all my stereo controls work as they should now as well.
2 of the stereo controls never worked before,even having a new conector twice.So its nice that they do now.
It is really easy to take the steering wheel & airbag out,just as written above.
Another job done with the help of the forum.
Many thanks :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Rotating switch

Post by KennyW »

Hi np,

Did you find it difficult to source the both the remote stereo wiring and the rotating switch for the air bag, as I was going to purchase same from the dealer :oops: cost: £155_00.

Regards
KennyW
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi Kenny.I just rang up 1 local scrapy to see if they had any Xantia`s in & they did.They did`nt know how much to charge for them,but i did`nt let on that the rotary conector was £100!!So £20 for both was a bargan. :D
I think though that i heard the rotary conectors are different between the MK 1 & MK 2 Xantias.
But is is really an easy job to do.You just need to be a bit carefull with the airbag unit & conectors.If you want a full run down of how to do it all,let me know. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi np,

Thanks for that had the airbag when doing matrix!!!!!! and I agree easy job to do.

regards
Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.