Xantia Heater Matrix - Airbag

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Xantia Heater Matrix - Airbag

Post by BrianM »

With the head cracked on my 93 Xantia TD, I now have bought a 97 TD that needs some work. The heater matrix leaking is one of these jobs.
I know the dash has to come out, but my question is does the steering wheel have to come off to get the dash out ?. I have done all this sort of work before on cars without airbags so if I have to remove the steering wheel what is the procedure ?.
Again thanks
Brian
97 Xantia TD 111K
93 Xantia TD 215K ( sadly headless !)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Sadly dash out means steering wheel off, it's probably a smaller job to take the good head off the '97 and put it onto the '93...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Steering wheel off, column out. Hope it was cheap!
For the airbag - disconnect the battery and wait at least 15 minutes. Turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn each way and remove the Torx screws from the back (T20 I think), then lift off the airbag unit and disconnect the cable. Carry it with the bag facing away from you, and put it somewhere it will do no harm if it does go off. When refitting, connect up, and then refit to the wheel. Reconnect the battery, then reach in through an open window or door - without getting in front of the bag - and turn the ignition on. Wait for the warning light to go out to signify that the self check has completed satisfactorily. All should be OK now.
It's a safety device, remember [:D]
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Thanks Richard,
Having pulled the head off my own I needed to find something fairly quickly, and the finances were not so good. So I got this one for the equivalent of 400 stg. Some work needed on it still needs clutch but will be doing this next weekend. ( and the matrix if I have time ).
Brian