Buying a HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Turns out the car is being sold as a trade car. Given the work to be done might be as well to stay clear of it. Friend who looked at it reckoned I'd be as well off spending the money on my own 93 !!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Whats wrong with your '93? What will it cost to put right?
A '93 Xantia isn't a bad car, maybe it looks a little 'old' and the '00 is prettier because of the facelift and body coloured bumpers but ultimately if the '93 is reliable, drives OK and gets you from A to B then I'd keep it.
Buying a newer car is purely vanity unless your '93 is truly past its best ;)
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Head gasket again , but having said that its still as comfortable as a lot of other much newer cars. I have never done a head gasket before and have looked at Haynes so feeling more confident as the time goes. I don't think its worth paying somebody else to do it.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=9624
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

This is really a message for martyhopkirk. How much was your dragon chip? Also has it made a diffrence to the fuel economy I know that a factory 110 is more economical than the 90. Also open to anyone why did Citroen make the 90bhp version if the 110 has better fuel economy and has more power. I would just like to ask 1 more question I asked this once before but would like to put it to everone again. Is it worth fitting a intercooler to the 90 instead of chipping It. Would it also make it the same as the 110 or were there other diffrences to these engines. Thanks for anyones help on this and by the way anyone who travels in our Xantia love it or fall asleep or both.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

The tuning boxes are more tuning friendly but would put more strain on the engine, I cant see any problem with fitting an intercooler- certainly this way there would be less strain than if you chipped it and you should see a decent power increase/
tony42
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR+ Technopack 150 Blue Tourer 2016
Citroen C4 1.6HDI VTR 2013

Post by tony42 »

Brian
You can get a VRT quote from the revenue site. It would give you an idea on whether its worthwhile getting it on the 'mainland' or not. I reckon you would have to find a bargain/gem private sale to make it worthwhile. It is certainly worthwhile making the trip to england but more at the higher end of the market. Problem is its a lot of effort and sometimes after all the travel its a dog not a car thats being offered for sale. You should try buy and sell online as you can get a good deal privately there. Work colleague got xsara 98 1.4 for €3000 last year with 60,000 miles on it.
I have a td but would reckon the HDI has to be better/more refined. If you wait another year the prices will drop a fair bit.
Got my 96 td from work €800. 1 owner 144,000 full service history. Goings brillantly. I needed to spend about €1100 (spheres all round, 2 tyres, bushes, discs/pads and timing belt and various oil seals) but its perfect for the price.
You would get a 1996-1997 for a good price on buy and sell but will have to be careful as you are probably well aware most irish drivers replace nothing. Its amazing how many 02-03 cars have bald tyres
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I see HDIs selling for well under £3,000 . Cheapest was £1,995 with 130k miles 2 months ago on Autotrader.
I agree prices have a lot further to sell : there are many garages with the same stock sitting for months. There are still unrealistic prices on Ebay which do not sell.
But TDs offer much more car per £ .
Horses for courses I guess...Time to buy is after Christams to February/March imo
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alec</i>

This is really a message for martyhopkirk. How much was your dragon chip? Also has it made a diffrence to the fuel economy I know that a factory 110 is more economical than the 90. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I paid £100 for my Dragon off eBay (used Auctionsniper to pip it 5 seconds before the auction end!) New from Mr. Hoot.
Torque has increased, zero increase in top end speed (which doesnt worry me as the Xant is primarily used for long M way journys and towing). Fuel consumption went down very slightly, i noticed a 5mpg improvement on avearge, but thats probably because the added torque means i can saty in 5th gear longer...
It would probably make sense to fit an intercooler too, but other parts of the 90 engine differ to the 110 (clutch, cam profile etc). Im happy with my improvments, it suits me (it probably wont suit everyone) I wasnt greedy with teh increase, my 90 is probably running nearer 100 bhp than 110, but again it suits me and what i use it for without any noticable strain on the car ( run it for 5000 miles and everything tickety boo - temp well within liits).
If you really want a 110, get one - I bought the 90 purely because it was:
a) cheap
b) 3 miles from home
c) I needed a car that DAY having written mine off and come to a settlement with the insurance
d) it already had a towbar with twin electrics fitted.[:)]
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

I have 90 hdi estate - compared to my old and loved BX TD its way quicker, smoother but perhaps less fun. Certainly the seats are not as good! It gives me 45mpg whilst BX gave me 55mpg.
However its vast, roomy and very practical!
What temp ranges do you get with the Dragon fitted...?
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Well, the head is coming off my 93 TD this weekend. Depending on the damage, this will determine whether or not it goes to the scrap heap or not !.
Tony42, I know only too well about how poor some cars are maintained, my arms are all scratches from trying to get my hand in under the wheel arches of a lowered 306 last weekend. The wire was coming out from all over the tyres !
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

There's a 220,000 Mile HDi estate on Autotrader for £995!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by broomie</i>

What temp ranges do you get with the Dragon fitted...?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
About 85 normally, runs to 90-95 ish if its really under strain. (but only done that once - towing 1500kg, up over pennine pass motorway at 70mph - wouldnt do it again at that speed!)