Xantia 2.1 td rough starting..update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

Tried pumping the primer bulb this morning and when leaving work this afternoon but made no difference , so it's off to gsf in the morning for some glo plugs.If that doesn't cure i'm getting a mondeo.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

One way of checking for air in the fuel is to replace the last bit fo the fuel pipe nearest the pump with clear plastic and see whats going on.
I expect you have a bosch pump - leakoff pipes make a difference too and allow air in. On a roto-diesel they just leak.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=9187
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This car is a '98 2.1 and I think the fuel lines up to the filter and on to the pump are in clear plastic, so he should be able to see any air bubbles travelling through
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Surely a '98 Xantia TD12 would have the Lucas EPIC pump??
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Surely a '98 Xantia TD12 would have the Lucas EPIC pump??
//NiSk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes!
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

As JohnD says the fuel pipes are clear plastic on my car , thought i'd have a look this morning before going to gsf as it's the first chance i've had all week to look in the daylight.Before starting the car both pipes (to and from fuel filter) looked ok.. no air bubbles.Then I started the car , the pipe from the primer bulb to the filter remained clear but after running for a couple of secs the pipe from the filter to the(lucas) pump has quite a bit of air in it this is accompanied by the coughing and spluttering i'm trying to cure.This then clears after running for a few mins with only the occasional air bubble visible the engine then runs fine.It seems to me that air is somehow getting into the filter housing,has anybody got any suggestions as to what i need to replace first ?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I have posted elsewhere a possibility with the symptoms you mention. I have a Peugeot 205 that had a problem that garages could not trace. It got worse - conked out after shorter journeys. I eventually traced it to the hoses at the tank (205 was accessible under back seat) which had gone porous. Worth a look. Bubbles from the filter to the pump sounds very much like it - you could check the copper washers at the filter unions too.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I seems to be quite a normal problem with the filter housings on Xantias not sealing tight (I can recall several posts during the last 6 months which tracked down to that).
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It seems to me that air is somehow getting into the filter housing,has anybody got any suggestions as to what i need to replace first ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It might be that the lid isn't air tight. Remove the four screws and check in the joint that it's clean. Also check that if there's a rubber gasket it isn't damaged. Tighten down the screws in a diagonal sequence. Have a look at that 2 inch piece of rubber tube with its crimped clips.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Get a couple of feet of leak off pipe, replace the lot, also remove and examine if not replace the blanking off ones, cured a similar problem on my ZX , fuel ran back, after a couple of hours it would stumble and splutter for a bit, overnight it would not go at all come the end without priming, one of the genuine rubber stop end pipes on the injector had a small split, replaced it using a piece of braided leak off pipe with a small bolt screwed into it, total cure, if that fails replace the fuel filter.
Stewart