Is this a Bullock dray on LHM?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Now I'm confused??
I was under the impression that if you are sat in the car, with 'soft' selected, when a door is opened it goes to hard and then reverts to soft when the door is closed after the preset time, whether the engine is running or not. Ahh well, the mysteries of Citroen suspension.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The LW radio trick works on 99 HDi exclusive
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Too add my tuppence worth, Arent newer hyraulic cit's too bloody complex??
Never had this problem with my CX's BX's or GSA's!!
Smug!!
crooser

Post by crooser »

richard,do you know where that 0 ring is that fails?and how to get to it?
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

Now I'm confused??
I was under the impression that if you are sat in the car, with 'soft' selected, when a door is opened it goes to hard and then reverts to soft when the door is closed after the preset time, whether the engine is running or not. Ahh well, the mysteries of Citroen suspension.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hard and soft are the opposite way round. Otherwise you're correct. It ain't too complicated. Hard is with the valves closed and the centre spheres isolated. Soft is with the valves open. By default the valves are closed and the computer sends uses about 5v modulated at 1khz to control the valves. This is what you hear on the radio, and you can usually hear from the valves themselves. Mine merrily sing away until the ECU shuts down.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well yesterday I took the spheres off the Xantia & today I took them
up for testing.
Here's the results:-
Accumulator - 2 bar.....try to charge; blew.
Front hydractive - flat & full of LHM.
Ant-sink - dead as a maggot.
Rear hydractive - Flat & full of LHM
Rear suspension spheres - One with a breath in it, the other dead flat.
Not bad hey? A car with 8 spheres and 6 absolutely stone dead.
Now all I have to do is wait for the spheres to arrive from the other side of Australia & we'll see if there's any improvement.
Alan S
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

"I had the spheres tested on the front & found they were spot on"
Who did the testing? They need introducing to a can of whoopass.
RichardH
My Cars:

Post by RichardH »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Panjandrum</i>

Very interesting.
Would this also tell me when my Activa is switching?
There is a French Activa group on Yahoo, activaclub. In the photo section there are instructions for making an electrovalve indicator out of an old dashboard switch. This has three led's two for the hydroactive valves and one for the Activa valve which light up when these valves operate, very neat. The instructions are in french of course! but I think it's possible to work it out from the pictures and judicious use of an online translator!!! A project for the future I think.
There also appears to be some stuff about a fault in the suspension ECU, a pair of diodes which fail leading to being stuck in hard mode. A repair also seems to be outlined.
If anyone has a good understanding of french and would like to translate any of these, I'm sure they would be most welcome and raised to the status of Gods. There appear to be members of the activaclub forum who <u>really</u> know their citroen technical stuff. Should have paid more attention in french lessons at school [:(]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Happy to oblige, I'll have a look at the weekend.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

"I had the spheres tested on the front & found they were spot on"
Who did the testing? They need introducing to a can of whoopass.
No, he did the right thing.
You forget I don't have the luxury of having a dealer within walking distance. I have to drive to an engineers place 45 minutes away and if I get stuck there, it's a major drama to get home again as there's no public transport to speak of. As a result, I was there getting some spheres off other cars done and just pulled the fronts off and had them tested at the same time and they came up trumps. I had to wait until I had the time and garage space at home to pull the rest off and take them to him to get them tested. The results I posted above and at present, I am at the mercy of the couriers who apparently get the eebies about air freighting spheres (bombs and terrorarses and all that crap) so it appears I have to wait for them to be road freighted almost 2500 klms.
This is why I just did the fronts and am glad I didn't try thr rears and anti-sink on as so far I've been immobilised for a week and delivery date is unknown. Would have been nice if I'd have done them all at once..............see what I mean??
Alan S[B)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardH</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Panjandrum</i>

Very interesting.
Would this also tell me when my Activa is switching?
There also appears to be some stuff about a fault in the suspension ECU, a pair of diodes which fail leading to being stuck in hard mode. A repair also seems to be outlined.
[:(]
That looks like it could be very useful[:)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardH</i>
There is a French Activa group on Yahoo, activaclub.
I've searched Yahoo groups but cannot find.[:(]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<font color="red"><font size="5">Woo - HOO I'm back in business!!</font id="size5"></font id="red">
Well, the 6 spheres turned up and were duly fitted along with the new cambelt and auxilliary belt, a 6pk1660, what a thrill that turned out to be; plenty of 1650s which apparently were the size used on cars made about 2 months after mine onwards, but 1660 uhh huh. A 300 klm round trip to get it convinced me it was foolhardy to thing I'd get away with one 10mm shorter seeing as how it has that spring loaded tensioner arrangement and as it turned out, the price of the 1650 against the 1660 was that the 1660 was 20 cents cheaper which is unusual when you're dealing with an odd size. The job of changing one of those belts though is best left to anyone who has ever competed in a "maze" championship as it snakes around 6 pulleys.
The car rides reasonably well now; not as good as a CX by a long shot but better than a BX16V and is a pleasure to ride in now. Handling is really good and is the kind of car that you feel confident letting an incompetant driver behind the wheel of as it gives the impression that if they got into trouble, the car would get them out of it.
At least now I know what one feels like to ride in.
Alan S