Starting and stopping problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stuc

Starting and stopping problem

Post by stuc »

Hi
I have a 1996 Xantia 1.9TD SX, the following (linked?) things are happening can anybody help with a solution.
1) Every morning after the car has been stood for the night I have to pump the Diesel Hand Primer Ball/Pump before it will start. I changed the primer pump but this has not solved the problem.
2) If the car has been running for a short period (less than 5 mins) if I turn off the ignition the car continues to run on its own sometimes for 10 seconds but usually for a few minutes before the engine stops. On some longer occasions I have had to stall the car as I have not been able to wait for it to cut out in its own time.
Cheers
Stu
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) You have a leaking fuel line - somewhere. Could be the fuel filter canister as well. Most likely rotten rubber fuel lines. Note that the overflow (return) rubber lines from the injectors also are suspects.
2) This is a sure symptom on a faulty fuel shut-off electrovalve - located on the diesel rotopump. But check your engine for un-usual high oil consumption as well.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

My 1.9td Xantia would not switch off unless it had been running for a minute or so, this went on for a couple of years until I got cheesed off with it, decided to change the stop solenoid during a routine cam belt and water pump change, not easey because the pump had to come off to get at at the solenoid which resides under a steel tamperproof cover as part of the immobiliser setup, so if your car has a keypad immobiliser it will be the same.
Examination of the solenoid and plunger once removed revealed nothing, fitting a new one however put things back to normal again.
I very much doubt that the starting and stopping difficulty are related, unles they have come about both together, in which case I would be a bit baffled by it as hand pumping wouldn't affect the solenoid.
Dave