Dumb idea..but here goes...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ffelan
My Cars:

Post by ffelan »

not if my xantia only weighs 950kg.......
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Ahhh, wise move!! You must have removed the chassis.[^][;)], always keeps the weight down, plus it's the easiest way to loose 300+Kg
Still it would make a pleasant change to see a Xantia in the rear view mirror!![^]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Classical method of 'Adding lightness' was - with a big drill! I'm pleased to see that Machine Mart are now selling blacksmiths drills at quite a good price - these are large high speed steel drills with shanks turned down to 1/2 inch (12mm) to fit your power drill.
can improve ventilation and drainage as well!
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Classical method of 'Adding lightness' was - with a big drill! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Does anyone remember malcolm, ogri's sidekick in the classic cartoon strip, taking a drill to his triton-with predictable results?
ffelan
My Cars:

Post by ffelan »

am sure i will acheive some where close to the 950kg target... there is plenty to lose.. all the interior must be close on 150kg.. plus glass can be quite heavy... so will have to go at the sides.. sadly some will go back in with the cage / bracing but that will in turn enable us to lose more from less vital areas.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Do you have to keep theglass or can you get rid on the grounds of safety - if so could you use polycarbonate for some of it? there must be some way of moulding a gentle curve in the stuff. - does it soften in heat?
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You need the correct calipers to suit if you are going up a disc size<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Think of it like a boob job.
Calipers = Bra Cup Size
Disc = Boobie Size
Sorry I'll go back to me colouring book. [:o)]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Did anybody answer the original question of stiffening it up?
You can do that by using BX 16v spheres or XM corner spheres.
Citroens dont suffer much of an affect due to boiling brake fluid. In a normal car the fluid starts to boil and turns to vapour displacing liquid out of the brakes. When you go to press the brake pedal the pedal goes to the floor with very little pressure in the brakes because you are just compressing the vapour a little bit due to the limited amount of volume you displace. In a Citroen a constant supply of fluid is supplied until the pressure builds up in the brakes so the brakes carry on working. This isn't to say there is a load of vapour in the brakes because any vapour produced will condense under the high pressure of the braking system and become a liquid again. LHM fluid is stated as having a boiling point of 300 C or whatever but that is at atmospheric pressure. At several hundred bar it will be much higher.
The problem with the Xantia is that you cant just press harder to get more brake pressure. The system pressure is sufficient on the road where the brakes aren't permanently hundreds of degrees but on a track the brakes will get very hot. This causes a problem due to the fact the pads and disc will have a lower co-efficient of friction when they are very hot than normal. Thus they will need more pressure to work effectively but this is limited on a Citroen.
Having said all that most road cars will not have much braking capacity left after a few corners on a track because they are too heavy to be track cars.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

As it's a track only car you can run some really hi temp pads (as long as you stay on track to get some initial heat into them) and get plenty of fresh air channeled onto the discs you may still have some brakes after a couple of laps. The more weight you loose(Don't know about 1/2 inch drills more like a Stihl saw) the easier time you'll give the brakes.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I doubt you could ever get a xantia anywhere near 950kg as they are so heavy to start with. Even if it was free a 1.8 xantia is a bit of a weird choice to put it mildy for a track car especially if youre going to the hassle of lightening it and putting in a cage etc. Why not spend a couple of hundred on a tatty 205 gti on ebay, far quicker and far more fun? Still if you want some ideas for the doors, heres one of my Visa rear ones, although now painted and has perspex bolted in. End result 7kg down from 16kg and the locking mechanism is still fully functional http://www.visagti.com/pics/sprint/Svi_0113b.jpg
ffelan
My Cars:

Post by ffelan »

1300kg is not heavy for a car in modern terms.. i got my 1380kg octavia down to just over a ton even with the door trims inplace.. as for the rear doors.. they will be non functional..will this be the first Xantia coupe after we have welded bare skins backinto place??? and be down to 2-3kg... saving another 40kg.. which having lost the interior and spare wheel and stuff like that is well on the way to the target!
7.5x 17 wheels go on tonight... as should the carbon exhaust cans....( off my old tuscan). The std exhaust was ludicrously heavy so the de-cat straight through should same me a load more.. losing aircon later in the week..
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

so you had a tuscan but are still preparing a 1.8 xantia for track days, I really dont understand sorry :)
weights of modern cars are a total joke, dont know how they manage it!
ffelan
My Cars:

Post by ffelan »

heres the cans....
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/attachme ... stid=67126
and heres the skoda for info..
sorry about the girl! was only pic i found of it.. will find a better on on track rather than show.....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Am I losing it? I think the girl is better looking than the Skoda.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

no its alright I believe you took the skoda around the track but yer lets have more photos of the girl lol